Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Smith has talked this week about not letting emotions ruin the performance. First 30 minutes, it looked like we were doing the opposite. Blues were deservedly in front and controlling the game. We were too slow and ponderous, whereas Blues were holding a great shape when not in possession. We got lucky with them hitting the post, then for us to score virtually after lifted spirits. Think he gave them a rocket up their arse at half time as came out a much better side. 

It’s great to get that win and to score 4, but the team still has a long way to go yet. Smith knows this and won’t rest on laurels. Exciting times ahead. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, romavillan said:

The dawdling is the mistake, inviting them on isn't. Should be 2 touch tops, but a good way to invite the press is to make a couple of slow passes so they come after the ball, and then one and two touch quick passing around them. It's what playing out from the back is all about.

I stand corrected.  To me thats where the noses got most of there attacks from.

Just bringing  the ball forward quickly, would seem to have all the advantages, but none of the downside.

39 minutes ago, hippo said:

Need to do something different defensively - a lot of Blues attacks - came from us passing slowly sideways, never see the point of it TBH - You limit your own goal threat - and the opposition are mistake from a 'through' on goal - we were still doing it towards the end..

Thought we looked at our best when we got the ball out wide and ran at them with Pace. 

Totally disagree. 

Listen to Smith post match, he talks about trying to get Blues to overload one side and then switching the ball quickly to the other flank to expose them.

Thats exactly how we got back into the game, our first two goals came from doing this.

We do have defensive issues to resolve but I don’t think the cause of them is what we are trying to do with the ball, Cheater getting caught aside.

• Like 3

I might be getting carried away, but I’m convinced that he’s taking us up THIS year. We are far from perfect, and I know the defence is leaky to say the least, but we’ve got so many goal threats all over the pitch and on the bench, and he seems to have found the way to tap into that very early doors.

I’m so pleased for him, he deserves this!

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Whelan didn't play well. Was at fault for their 2nd goal

Interesting in the interview, when asked how well Whelan did in McGinn's absence, Smith answered the rest of the question but not that part.

I tbought Whelan was ok, not good and not poor, but agree at fault for that goal.  He can do a job, but is someone we need to replace when possible.

7 minutes ago, peterms said:

Interesting in the interview, when asked how well Whelan did in McGinn's absence, Smith answered the rest of the question but not that part.

I tbought Whelan was ok, not good and not poor, but agree at fault for that goal.  He can do a job, but is someone we need to replace when possible.

To be fair, replacing McGinn is a big ask for anyone. 

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

I stand corrected.  To me thats where the noses got most of there attacks from.

Just bringing  the ball forward quickly, would seem to have all the advantages, but none of the downside.

Ha, ok sarcy. Yes they got chances from mistakes when dawdling as you put it, the thing about just trying to plow forward is if you haven't shifted any of them out of position you can't get an overload and it's much easier for them to defend. 

11 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Totally disagree. 

Listen to Smith post match, he talks about trying to get Blues to overload one side and then switching the ball quickly to the other flank to expose them.

Thats exactly how we got back into the game, our first two goals came from doing this.

We do have defensive issues to resolve but I don’t think the cause of them is what we are trying to do with the ball, Cheater getting caught aside.

...and its the old fashioned way of getting a team that is sat back to come out and break the lines!

You could see them battling their orders not to come out ...it worked quite well tbh.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Totally disagree. 

Cause and effect - piss about with the ball at the back - and somebody will come a cropper. Today Chester, Whelan, and Taylor were at times assisting the noses attacks and got into right tangles for no good reason. IMO we got back in the game when we upped the tempo and took the game to them.

7 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Ha, ok sarcy. Yes they got chances from mistakes when dawdling as you put it, the thing about just trying to plow forward is if you haven't shifted any of them out of position you can't get an overload and it's much easier for them to defend. 

Come on - we have talent galore - get a wide man to beat a full back, and put a cross in.

As much as we were completely let off the hook with that Adams miss, in retrospect their (opening) goal turned out to be a positive as it brought us to life I think. We were very stodgy on the ball and that sparked an urgency where we started looking for the ball in between the lines a bit earlier and exploiting the space quicker (e.g. Hourihane shifting out to Hutton for Kodjia's goal).

Thought we saw the good and bad of Whelan in the first half but the reality is he's always going to hinder us in possession and the improvement was notable when he went off. He looks composed when he's given acres of space, but anytime he's put under any kind of pressure you really see his limitations.

We lack any kind of aerial presence, and Nyland gets homesick once he leaves his line, so aside from always being vulnerable in that sense we're really coming along game by game. Can only credit Smith for the impact he's made. I don't know where we're going to end up this season, but if nothing else I'm enjoying the ride so far, and it's not often I've been able to say that about Villa so I'll happily take it.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

Cause and effect - piss about with the ball at the back - and somebody will come a cropper. Today Chester, Whelan, and Taylor were at times assisting the noses attacks and got into right tangles for no good reason. IMO we got back in the game when we upped the tempo and took the game to them.

It's not a case of either or. The best teams keep the ball and then use the flanks when it makes sense to do so. It isn't working all the time, but overall it definitely is working and the mix is good. Birmingham are direct, have been playing well and got beaten by us today.

9 minutes ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Never been more convinced that a Villa manager will succeed , there's something about this appointment that just seems right. It's incredibly refreshing to see a Villa manager attack teams and have a certain style of play , one based on control of the ball, fluid movement. Long way to go yet, the signs are extremely encouraging. 

Always room for improvement - we were poor for around Half an hour - then just looked on a totally different planet, everyone wanted the ball , where I was sitting you could see the blues arguing, and shouting at each other , they just didn't know what had hit them - Weds could be interesting - a decent Forest side - and we look like being without Albert (MOTM today) and Mcginn .....

51 minutes ago, peterms said:

Thought I was the only one who noticed this. lol

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Zonal Marking is the biggest scapegoat of the modern game. 

Nothing wrong with it. 

Go man to man and you concede most weeks, nothing gets said. Keep 200 clean sheets in a row and then concede once from a set piece and every pundit loses their shit.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, hippo said:

Without trying to have a go at Whelan, when the centre backs play the ball to him they get it straight back and for me this is what caused the dawdling on the ball that led to the mistakes, for example Whelan turned his back to Chester just as he was about to pass to him so had to change his mind at the last moment (not blaming Whelan for this as it was Chesters fault but just trying to explain why I think Chester made that mistake). Think Smith recognised this also which is why he blanked the Whelan question in the post match interview, and took him off for Lansbury.

Usually Hourihane would be there, but he was pushed into McGinns position. Whelan has other strengths but doesnt suit the position for what Smith wants that role to be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Totally disagree. 

Dare I say it, but Smith really does appear to be the real deal.  His attention to detail and preparation for games is most impressive.  Showing the players video clips at half time for goodness sake!   I know we'll have some dodgy results this season, but this guy needs our backing and most of all time to build his team.  Should we make a play off spot or a top two place, then what a season turnaround.  

Also, he seems very likeable - the type of guy that you could talk football with all day, without being bored.    Talks sense and believe me, not all managers can even do this.  Whatever happens during this rollacoaster of a season, Smith has my full backing, as I'm totally buying into his football philosophy.   UTV  

• Like 2

Â