Dean Smith

Demitri_C

7 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

I like Dean Smith. Is he the best manager on the planet? No. Is he the best manager we have ever had? Probably not. Is he the best manager we have had in a long time? I think he probably could be. One thing is for sure, he is one of our own and because of that I believe the job actually means something to him other than a pay packet each month and his press conferences seem so honest and refreshing unlike his predecessor who was cringeworthy!

Too soon to say on all three, potentially could be all three though, time will tell ;)

What is certain is that as a lot of us were thinking, a good coach and a different approach was needed. He's brought it and then some, regardless of him being a villan or not. He could have been at the noses like McCleish and Bruce for all I care, it's the knowledge of the game, how to create a team, the interplay and how to make each component work individually to compliment the parts around it. Understanding different phases, roles, with and without the ball. It's **** million miles off what we've had for a long long time.

• Like 1

Having just read an article on Henry's brief reign so far at Monaco, I'm so very pleased to think we perhaps finally have owners post-Ellis astute enough to see substance over hype and reward someone who had worked themselves into a position of strength. There's a kind of parallel too with the owners ditching the previous ideas of dumb recommendations or current football media darlings.

For me, a managerial appointment hasn't felt so right as this since Lambert, who came here with more swagger and a far stronger CV before being de-motivated into the husk of a manager he currently is. In the appointment of Dean Smith, I can't help but feel that lessons have finally been learned. I've still got the childish thrill of actually looking forward to the season unfold.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I could listen to him all day.

Great to hear him say that the obsession this season is to get into the top 2. No playing down of what the aim has to be. No focusing on how big the gap is, no mention of how tough it will be. I have never once heard him underplay how good the squad is or over play the hand of the opposition. 

He has exceeded my expectations of what I expected so far. Not in terms of results or performances but with his total focus on winning. You look at his background both as a player and a manager and you don't instantly see a winner but that is exactly what he is. I think we have finally gotten ourselves someone very special to lead us.

Absolutely spot on, Mark!

Like you, I could listen to him all day. He talks nothing but sense and remains calm and collected. Nothing seems to phase the guy and he just seems like the kind of bloke you would want to go to a game with and then sit and chat about the game over a few beers. 

There's a sense of no bullshit about Dean Smith. No hiding facts or trying to make ready made excuses. Everything seems crystal clear about the fella and I really hope that he enjoys a very successful career with the Villa. The most likeable manager we've had since Taylor, for me. 

• Like 3

As I argued last week, the aim should absolutely be top two not the playoff’s. Bruce constantly talked down automatic promotion, perhaps because he knew his and his football’s shortcomings or perhaps to keep himself in the job. Whatever the reason that I’m sure filtered through to the players, so it’s great to hear Smith has this approach.

• Like 3

He doesn't big the opposition up...like Bruce.  He doesn't show the opposition too much respect....like Bruce.  He doesn't play to avoid defeat but plays to win....unlike Bruce.  He doesn't obsess over short sighted gains but over the bigger picture...unlike Bruce.

I feel BCFC will come to stop us play rather than go for the win I.e. play with pure passion rather than skill, kick players off the park old skool style etc. I think DS knows this and will have planned accordingly. 

17 hours ago, villarocker said:

Absolutely spot on, Mark!

Like you, I could listen to him all day. He talks nothing but sense and remains calm and collected. Nothing seems to phase the guy and he just seems like the kind of bloke you would want to go to a game with and then sit and chat about the game over a few beers. 

There's a sense of no bullshit about Dean Smith. No hiding facts or trying to make ready made excuses. Everything seems crystal clear about the fella and I really hope that he enjoys a very successful career with the Villa. The most likeable manager we've had since Taylor, for me.

Spot on......but more Gregory than Taylor for me .

• Like 1

On 24/11/2018 at 09:04, TrentVilla said:

As I argued last week, the aim should absolutely be top two not the playoff’s. Bruce constantly talked down automatic promotion, perhaps because he knew his and his football’s shortcomings or perhaps to keep himself in the job. Whatever the reason that I’m sure filtered through to the players, so it’s great to hear Smith has this approach.

Unrealistic this season IMO, the squad is imbalanced and Smith has a lot to do to get this lot playing the right kind of football. Playoffs of would be a good finish this season given the mess Bruce left us in. I do agree that last season the reasonable expectation was top 2, and Bruce certainly was a failure. 

40 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Unrealistic this season IMO, the squad is imbalanced and Smith has a lot to do to get this lot playing the right kind of football. Playoffs of would be a good finish this season given the mess Bruce left us in. I do agree that last season the reasonable expectation was top 2, and Bruce certainly was a failure. 

We already are playing the right kind of football, I only expect that to continue. Yes the squad is unbalanced, but we’ve something like 8 games until we can do something about that.

I agree top two is unlikely but it should still be the aim and it is still possible as Smith clearly thinks given he himself has said its the aim.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

We already are playing the right kind of football, I only expect that to continue. Yes the squad is unbalanced, but we’ve something like 8 games until we can do something about that.

I agree top two is unlikely but it should still be the aim and it is still possible as Smith clearly thinks given he himself has said its the aim.

It's not quite there yet. Fitness levels still aren't there to maintain a high press consistently, this will take a while to build up. We're also still quite poor defensively. Derby was a nice vignette of where we will go under Smith but we won't be playing like that consistently until we're a lot fitter and have made 3-4 good additions to the squad.

This season for me is about getting the foundations truly in place, if we get playoffs then great, if we go up, well, Smith will be a borderline miracle worker. For me, I do not expect promotion, rather I expect a proper platform to be put in place for a promotion next season.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's not quite there yet. Fitness levels still aren't there to maintain a high press consistently, this will take a while to build up. We're also still quite poor defensively. Derby was a nice vignette of where we will go under Smith but we won't be playing like that consistently until we're a lot fitter and have made 3-4 good additions to the squad.

This season for me is about getting the foundations truly in place, if we get playoffs then great, if we go up, well, Smith will be a borderline miracle worker. For me, I do not expect promotion, rather I expect a proper platform to be put in place for a promotion next season.

I don’t expect promotion. I do expect us, even with our limitations to aim for the top 2. 

Fair enough if you don’t think that, Smith has already said that’s the aim though.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I don’t expect promotion. I do expect us, even with our limitations to aim for the top 2. 

Fair enough if you don’t think that, Smith has already said that’s the aim though.

We are playing catch up but there’s no stand out team in this league and plenty of time to close the gap - I think probably 10 teams will fancy their chances of automatic promotion and we are in the mix 

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Nah, we're on the front foot and improving every game. He's going for it and there's no reason to believe it won't work, frailties notwithstanding. We have absolutely nothing to be afraid of.

Â