Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, AndyM3000 said:

74% possession today. Considering these aren't his players and it's still early days I can't wait till he chops out the dross and gets some of his own players in. Basically Guardiola compared to Bruce.

I think a lot of that possession in the end was the fannying about Smith hinted at. A bit self indulgent in the end.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Remember when people used to say under Bruce "We haven't played well and still scraped a 1 - 0, sign of a good team"

Do you now see the difference?

Haven't played our best, sloppy at the back, but still blew them away with sheer attacking quality. Not a lucky win with a moment of brilliance.

ALL with players signed by Bruce.

What a great post this is! 

It just shows that different managers can get such different performances from the same group of players. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tayls said:

What did DS do when Jutkiewicz came off for them? He mentioned it during the sky interview and the one above, but I don’t understand what he did? 

I think he said that he took 5 minutes to just soak in the atmosphere and look at his family in the crowd. I think he relaxed a bit once their danger man was off the pitch.

Need to do something different defensively - a lot of Blues attacks - came from us passing slowly sideways, never see the point of it TBH - You limit your own goal threat - and the opposition are mistake from a 'through' on goal - we were still doing it towards the end..

Thought we looked at our best when we got the ball out wide and ran at them with Pace. 

It's easy to say this after a couple of fantastic results, and I'll admit I'm fickle and sometimes let me emotions guide my comments. But Smith has shown early signs of being the real deal.

Very early days I know. But it's not just the results, it's the way he has us playing - the imbalanced squad he inherited has an average defence and a fantastic attack. In just over a month he has revolutionised how we play. Conor sitting deep and moving the ball quickly, switching the play & overloading the wings. Kodjia, Tammy and Adomah rotating around the front 3 causing havoc to mark. Grealish actually not being forced to pick up the ball in the middle of his own half. Wingers encouraged to bomb forward - I'm not a fan of Taylor but he is playing well for the first time in a long while. And today was without arguably our best player this season McGinn. Even bloody Nyland looks better although I would still hope we look for a new GK in Jan. Can't wait until Dean can get some of his own men in. 

Easy to say now, I know, but if we don't go up this season he has to be given another full season. We need to back Smith all the way - this could be the start of something big. He could be a our Nuno, or even better. I've not felt this positive about a manager in the era since O'Neill. UTV

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Need to do something different defensively - a lot of Blues attacks - came from us passing slowly sideways, never see the point of it TBH - You limit your own goal threat - and the opposition are mistake from a 'through' on goal - we were still doing it towards the end..

Thought we looked at our best when we got the ball out wide and ran at them with Pace. 

I think the point of it is to get the opposition to push forward opening up space in the middle. But it needs players to be comfortable on the ball. Chester looks really uncomfortable when playing this way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

If I was going to be critical about our set-up, it's that we never have men on the posts from corners and we've paid the price on more than one occasion now.

The zonal making was more concerning. Never been a fan of it and was the reason Lutkeiwicz was free on set pieces time and time again. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I like to hear Smith agrees with me. It's ok to be critical even when we win.

Good win, not so good performance. We need to improve if we want to get promoted. A better side would have punished us more.

We were poor first half but I think a lot of that was down to nerves. We played with fear and Birmingham smelt blood. Once we scored the players relaxed. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think the point of it is to get the opposition to push forward opening up space in the middle. But it needs players to be comfortable on the ball. Chester looks really uncomfortable when playing this way.

I really hope that isnt what we are trying to do- you could see how that very nearly went wrong today - The way DS spoke after the game I don't think that was the plan - he spoke about moving the ball faster - which is correct IMO - its pass and move - not dawdling around with the ball in potentially dangerous positions

19 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

The zonal making was more concerning. Never been a fan of it and was the reason Lutkeiwicz was free on set pieces time and time again. 

First goal he was man marked but they blocked whelan off to free him up. I'm not a fan of zonal but if the opposition have a plan for man marking, a good way to take the rug out from under their feet is zonally mark the next set piece I spose.

14 minutes ago, hippo said:

I really hope that isnt what we are trying to do- you could see how that very nearly went wrong today - The way DS spoke after the game I don't think that was the plan - he spoke about moving the ball faster - which is correct IMO - its pass and move - not dawdling around with the ball in potentially dangerous positions

The dawdling is the mistake, inviting them on isn't. Should be 2 touch tops, but a good way to invite the press is to make a couple of slow passes so they come after the ball, and then one and two touch quick passing around them. It's what playing out from the back is all about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Utterly pointless comparison. A more relevant one would be Bruce’s start vs Smith’s start - although still completely pointless. 

Would you mind clarifying why it’s not a fair comparison then please Bobzy? Asking again in case you missed my question.

Two managers, same club, same players, same season, both have played sides who will most likely finish across the table by the end of the season. 

If I can’t state that Smith has won more games than Bruce in nearly half the time (which you know, is a fact), then I don’t see how people can state how much better we’re playing under Smith (which while correct is also somewhat subjective, certainly compared to results).

Because surely if comparing results is pointless then comparing performances is equally pointless too?

Â