Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just an observation :

whether we play 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 ......we need to keep the space between departments to a minimum......Richard O'kelly was screaming at them on Sunday to address this and gesticulating to effect.

We did create gaps under Bruce and we slipped back for moments on sunday.

When the forwards break,the defence and midifield have to move in sync to avoid the opposition from capitalising on the space in the event of a turnover.

We need to be more synchronised.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

So would you blame Fulham (whoever sanctions and buys players) or the manaher for their issues then?

Pity a progressive manager paid the price for a club wide mistake.....or at least what looked like a wider club mistake.

Whoever the responsibility lies with, their guilty of naivety. It seems the manager is the one who has had to carry the can, nothing surprising about that. 

The fact that a manager is considered " progressive " doesn't mean he's immune to failure .

1 hour ago, CosmicVillan said:

I loved how Smith shook the hands of all the opposition players afterwards, then waited by the tunnel to give all our players a congratulatory hug ! ...He was chuffed as nuts , it was all over his face.

And finished with a huge fist pump to the Holte 😎

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Just an observation :

whether we play 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 ......we need to keep the space between departments to a minimum......Richard O'kelly was screaming at them on Sunday to address this and gesticulating to effect.

When the forwards break,the defence and midifield have to move in sync to avoid the opposition from capitalising on the space in the event of a turnover.

Agree, but it’s worth adding that in some respects the spaces were intentional. I’ve never seen our Full Backs as high and wide as they were for large parts of that game. It didn’t work at times but stretched Blues all over the place. Interestingly he’s not done that every game, our patterns are changing quite regularly depending upon the opposition.

• Like 2

We hit the magic 2ppg figure under DS on Sunday, long may it continue. It’s so refreshing listening to him speak after games as well, a million miles away from the previous incumbent.

Edited by chappy
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, TRO said:

Just an observation :

Yeah you have to be compact to play the way Smith and Kelly want to or it doesn't work, both whe you have the ball and when you are trying to get it back. Look at how Man City play, quite often there's no more than 30m between the defenders and the strikers, everyone in that space...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TRO said:

Just an observation :

It’s refreshing to hear that Smith wasn’t happy with the performance.  We can and will be a lot better than that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think one of the things that gives me confidence, on top of the so far very encouraging performance of Dean Smith, is the way in which the club as a whole have moved forward since the new owners arrived. We appear to have a cohesive approach now and there is a genuine feeling that’s we are pulling together as a club and all singing from the same hymn sheet. Seeing Christian Purslow in the tunnel after the game on Sunday and the way in which he interacted with Smith and the players gave a real sense of togetherness. 

It will take time to get the club really set up how I think the board want it, both business wise and in footballing terms. However we are already on a completely different trajectory than we have been for years. Viva la revolucion, viva The Villa!!

It’s also widely acknowledged we are a complete work in progress. The speed of improvement has really surprised me. I hope it’s not just a new manager bounce. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

No but u might be there or thereabouts 

As long as wor remember to pull our socks/pants/shorts up. Old school managers know the danger of badly pulled-up clothing.

Death.

17 hours ago, sidcow said:

What I don't understand is how, if the system at Brentford was down to their massive over achieving, and nothing to do with him,  how come he's turned us from drawn 3 lost 3 won 1 before he came to lost 2 and won 4 since (whilst at the same time playing much better teams than during our poor run) 

AND Brentford with their amazing system have plunged down the table with lost 5 won 1 since he's gone.?

Answer is because Smith is an excellent manager who is using tactics and knowledge to make our excellent offensive players play superbly and our poor defenders play adequately. 

No system here folks, just talent. 

TBF - Brentford had zero wins in 5 before he left.

Bruce had run his course and totally lost it at the end. Defence is a worry and I feel they should be doing better than they are. The Goalkeeper looks out of his depth - but the rest of them are decent pro's especially at this level, they regularly look at all at sea & disorganised. Lets hope they have worked on this for the Forest match.

6 hours ago, romavillan said:

Yeah you have to be compact to play the way Smith and Kelly want to or it doesn't work, both whe you have the ball and when you are trying to get it back. Look at how Man City play, quite often there's no more than 30m between the defenders and the strikers, everyone in that space...

Tuanzebe looks to be adapting to this so fast though. Notice on sunday how he is trying to bring the ball out of defence and get closer to his midfielders .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, terrytini said:

Agree, but it’s worth adding that in some respects the spaces were intentional. I’ve never seen our Full Backs as high and wide as they were for large parts of that game. It didn’t work at times but stretched Blues all over the place. Interestingly he’s not done that every game, our patterns are changing quite regularly depending upon the opposition.

If the spaces are intentional fine....but I clearly seen Richard O , pushing his hands together intimating get closer together.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s also widely acknowledged we are a complete work in progress. The speed of improvement has really surprised me. I hope it’s not just a new manager bounce. 

I am very surprised too...never expected such improvement so soon....fingers crossed.

Â