Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Cause and effect - piss about with the ball at the back - and somebody will come a cropper. Today Chester, Whelan, and Taylor were at times assisting the noses attacks and got into right tangles for no good reason. IMO we got back in the game when we upped the tempo and took the game to them.

That’s a different point though. Yes individual mistakes happened too often today and we were fortunate they weren’t more costly but that isn’t the same as your original point about spreading the play from one side of the pitch to the other, without looking back I think you described it as needless. I was just pointing out it wasn’t, it had a purpose and it worked.

But yes, we need to cut out unforced individual errors.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Always room for improvement - we were poor for around Half an hour - then just looked on a totally different planet, everyone wanted the ball , where I was sitting you could see the blues arguing, and shouting at each other , they just didn't know what had hit them - Weds could be interesting - a decent Forest side - and we look like being without Albert (MOTM today) and Mcginn .....

Hippo I wouldn’t read too much in to that first 30 minutes because of the occasion. We are much better than that and the rest of the game showed this. 

That first 30 minutes was a mental thing. The blues handled the occasion so much better than us until we scored. I was fearing the worse at 0-1.

I expect much better v forest. 

57 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Zonal Marking is the biggest scapegoat of the modern game. 

Nothing wrong with it. 

Agree. Man to man or Zonal it relys on every defender doing their job. 

Anyway their corner that led to the goal was because of Chesters error. Corner never should have happened. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Agree. Man to man or Zonal it relys on every defender doing their job. 

Anyway their corner that led to the goal was because of Chesters error. Corner never should have happened. 

True. We can talk about the keeper or Whelan but there shouldn’t have been a corner to defend in the first place.

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

That’s a different point though. Yes individual mistakes happened too often today and we were fortunate they weren’t more costly but that isn’t the same as your original point about spreading the play from one side of the pitch to the other, without looking back I think you described it as needless. I was just pointing out it wasn’t, it had a purpose and it worked.

But yes, we need to cut out unforced individual errors.

I think this may continue until certain players that aren’t comfortable on the ball under pressure are replaced. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Go man to man and you concede most weeks, nothing gets said. Keep 200 clean sheets in a row and then concede once from a set piece and every pundit loses their shit.

Exactly. 

32 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think this may continue until certain players that aren’t comfortable on the ball under pressure are replaced. 

Agreed, though you have to say, it's genuinely remarkable how much the whole team generally and Hutton in particular have improved their passing game in such a short space of time, thus opening the logical possibility that further improvement is not out of the question. 

Edited by Lerner's Driver

5 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Agreed, though you have to say, it's genuinely remarkable how much the whole team generally and Hutton in particular have improved their passing game in such a short space of time, thus opening the logical possibility that further improvement is not out of the question. 

It is and I should have probably added that I’d rather see us attempting to play a certain way and making mistakes while learning than just constantly going route one. 

I do think we could see a very different back five though next season regardless of which league we are in. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Only Forest and Boro of the Top 12 have conceded less than Villa since Smith took over.

And 5 of his 6 games have been against sides in that group.

I don’t think our defence is remotely as poor as some think.

And the idea that we need to cut out unforced errors ? Every single Club in the World has that as an aim.

Its the Championship. We are a Championship team. Why would we have an error free defence ?

I couldn’t believe how quickly some were crying out for a more agricultural approach after 25 minutes.

From when he took over we needed 2 points per game, we have 12 points from 6.

And it’s extremely watchable.

Fantastic. Fan bloody tastic.

Spot on. 

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Don’t think that is right but yes they’ve really dropped away.

Just spotted the one win vs Millwall, they've lost all but one... Our respective positions have pretty much switched. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

I don’t think our defence is remotely as poor as some think.

It's not that our defense is poor it's our lack of depth in defense that will most likely be our downfall this season

Edited by villalad21

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Remember when people used to say under Bruce "We haven't played well and still scraped a 1 - 0, sign of a good team"

Do you now see the difference?

Haven't played our best, sloppy at the back, but still blew them away with sheer attacking quality. Not a lucky win with a moment of brilliance.

ALL with players signed by Bruce.

Absolutely nothing dour about our victory today. Yes, it's winning that matters, but, when it's seasoned with panache and guile, how sweeter it is. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

The zonal making was more concerning. Never been a fan of it and was the reason Lutkeiwicz was free on set pieces time and time again. 

To be honest, the only benefit of man marking at corners is that referees ignore all the shirt pulling and wrestling, so if you're man-to-man you can take all the attacking threats out of the game.

As soon as VAR comes in, zonal will become the norm.

Â