Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, Dave J said:

TRO - nothing has changed I still consider you to have a good knowledge of the game - and you certainly have a humility that others could learn from.

When Bruce was appointed I was struck with a feeling of sheer underwhelming and apprehension - at least Smith excites me and offers hope for a better future imo 

I was pretty underwhelmed by Smiths appointment too. I don't feel the excitement or hope for the future. I think we are in for a long hard struggle for years to come. I think next season in particular will be really difficult.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, hippo said:

O, Hare could play the bannan role ....

£8m.....you couldnt make it up could you !!!!!

O'Hare has never started a game for Villa and you think he could play out of position in front of our back 4?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He was hounded out by our fans. I always thought he was a tidy player. He is not worth 8m though, 

edit: Even if we were in for him I doubt he would ever come back to Villa.

He’d definitely come back, he has family and friends here. He didn’t want to leave in the first place. And that’s straight from the horses mouth. 

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if we shelled out £8m for Bannan, that said had he, Albrighton, Clark and Baker not been binned off so quickly we'd have probably saved a load of cash. At the time maybe it was better to manage Bannan's expectations, but we were a total shambles when we let that lot go so it's easy to see why they didn't perform for us. A lot of players both our own who have then gone on to do alright elsewhere at this level and above amd expensive signings proven at this level and above have failed to perform for us.

Hopefully that will start to be the exception rather than the rule.

10 hours ago, KHV said:

I was pretty underwhelmed by Smiths appointment too. I don't feel the excitement or hope for the future. I think we are in for a long hard struggle for years to come. I think next season in particular will be really difficult.

Me to - I don't get the cast iron certainty that he will be a success here - because he had very moderate success at two much smaller clubs.  

On 27/10/2018 at 15:46, TRO said:

I don't think that is accurate....I can't speak for Stevo, but IMO like  me he merely defended him against what we saw as unfair criticism, some criticism was fair and in the end I wanted him to go and I think Stevo did too.

Steve Bruce has gone, but Equally many fans wanted Dean Smith and it could equally be levelled that some fans have vested interest in seeing things that they just want to see.

Its ridiculous to think every fan has the same interpretation of a game....I don't see some of the things some do, but I will remain respectful to their view.

I will admit that I hate losing and it could follow, that it could cloud my judgement at times.....but It is what I is.

Yet he's still on your avatar, feels like you folded to peer pressure than actually truly wanted him gone deep down

Pretty much everyone is saying we are playing much better and the stats show it too, but you cant see "any improvement", maybe the real issue is you thought Bruce wasnt as bad as everyone else thought which is why you cant see what the majority is seeing. 

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I don't think we need bannan tbh. We need a keeper and full backs more.

absolutely - i'm calling this fake news...i really hope so anyway

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Yet he's still on your avatar, feels like you folded to peer pressure than actually truly wanted him gone deep down

Pretty much everyone is saying we are playing much better and the stats show it too, but you cant see "any improvement", maybe the real issue is you thought Bruce wasnt as bad as everyone else thought which is why you cant see what the majority is seeing. 

Brilliant, might want to go specsavers chief.

• Like 1

On 25/10/2018 at 08:50, Stevo985 said:

I'm not sure I agree.

I have my problems wit the defence. The keeper is shit. As are Hutton and taylor.

But like I've said elsewhere, we have 3 out of the same back 4 that was one of the best defences in the league last season. And the fourth is Axel Tuanzebe who, despite my previous reservations about him, if he continues to improve looks like e might be a perfectly good CB.

That defence got us to a playoff final, which apparently was a massive underachievement because of the manager.

Was John Terry really that vital in the defence? Is the exact same defence just with Axel instead of Terry that much worse?

I'm not so sure.

No argument on the keeper though. We need a proper one.

Are you seriously asking whether one of the best defenders of his era, dropping down a level to make up for his age, was the reason our defence was so good?

The short answer is yes!

Edited by Nigel

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Brilliant, might want to go specsavers chief.

That's not Steve Bruce?! I've spent the last 2 years thinking it was ?

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Are you seriously asking whether one of the best defenders of his era, dropping down a level to make up for his age, was the reason our defence was so good?

The short answer is yes!

No. I’m asking whether losing him is enough for the defence to go from excellent to shit. 

Â