Dean Smith

Demitri_C

My take. In Dean Smith's first two away games we've faced the Norwich, first in the form table, and QPR, fourth in the form table. For this league those are currently two tough away games. On the balance of play we could have won either—moreso the QPR game where we looked dominant. We might not have made abundant chances, but both these opponents are playing well on their own terms. In the two weeks he's had, even just judging from the style of football in the QPR game there is a massive difference to how we're performing, and what I see is encouraging. I'm disappointed in the previous two results, but yeah—two tough away games. We are obviously trying to play a better game and it's still early days. In many ways our new style has also shown up the limitations in our squad.

As for the game on Friday, I thought Kodjia looked good on the left. I'd like to see Bree given a chance at right back.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

My take. In Dean Smith's first two away games we've faced the Norwich, first in the form table, and QPR, fourth in the form table. For this league those are currently two tough away games. On the balance of play we could have won either—moreso the QPR game where we looked dominant. We might not have made abundant chances, but both these opponents are playing well on their own terms. In the two weeks he's had, even just judging from the style of football in the QPR game there is a massive difference to how we're performing, and what I see is encouraging. I'm disappointed in the previous two results, but yeah—two tough away games. We are obviously trying to play a better game and it's still early days. In many ways our new style has also shown up the limitations in our squad.

As for the game on Friday, I thought Kodjia looked good on the left. I'd like to see Bree given a chance at right back.

Could easily have got 7 points from the three games. Bit more clinical in front of goal and we were 2 up at half time against QPR and cruising, so even with the Norwich result (which we didn't deserve to lose really) that would have been 6 points. 

Too early to judge the results though, he's had very few training sessions so far. He's already working on the change in style, we're already seeing the difference. So patience and after a few weeks rather than a few days, if the results haven't picked up then it might be a cause for concern. Right now it's not, especially with the way we played against the R's. Play at those levels against the 95% of teams in this league that aren't at that level and we'll win a lot more than we lose.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Thats very true of course. Where I differ is that although these aren't smiths players, and not all will take to how he wants to play , we quite simply have to get something out of this bunch in the short term. Quite simply we have to beat Bolton on Friday - if we can do it in style so much the better.

14 hours ago, Dave J said:

Would you not consider this as a qualified success given his resources?

Well I would consider that a success especially when the resources were not there and DS had to do with what he had available.

I think it was only a matter of time before DS made his team challenge for the championship title and be ready to put a few teams in the premier on notice, that they have arrived and your going to struggle against us. 

I think some people don't realise that good things take time to happen and certainly don't see a run of finishes that maintain a position as a healthy strong finish. It is one thing to make a position in a league that is so difficult as is, but to keep it the season after or after that says alot about the way DS coaches.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Thats very true of course. Where I differ is that although these aren't smiths players, and not all will take to how he wants to play , we quite simply have to get something out of this bunch in the short term. Quite simply we have to beat Bolton on Friday - if we can do it in style so much the better.

Why is Bolton a must win? I agree that playing as well as we did against QPR and losing again would be disappointing but it's not a disaster yet.

"Last season after 15 games Fulham had 19 points and they were in 16th place.....

After 25 games they were 12th on 36 points

And started to surge up the table after that because after 35 games they were one point behind Villa on 62 points in 4th place" - quote from another thread (@MarkLillis)

So we're one point behind where Fulham were, and we need to average a smidge under 2 points a game for the next 10 games to get to where they were after 25 games. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

Why is Bolton a must win? I agree that playing as well as we did against QPR and losing again would be disappointing but it's not a disaster yet.

"Last season after 15 games Fulham had 19 points and they were in 16th place.....

And started to surge up the table after that because after 35 games they were one point behind Villa on 62 points in 4th place" - quote from another thread (@MarkLillis)

So we're one point behind where Fulham were, and we need to average a smidge under 2 points a game for the next 10 games to get to where they were after 25 games. 

Whilst I am with you that it's not must win - I do think it's important to get back to winning ways - not least because I feel we have done ok in the last two games and got nothing to show for it.??

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I would consider introducing a few of the u23 players in sooner rather than later. We need more energy and i think players like o'hare, Doyle-hayes and Blackett-taylor would thrive under DS. 

Could Doyle-Hayes play in the role BB and Whelan have played in? Blackett-Taylor is a winger right? Which side? El-Ghazie and Bolasie off the bench haven't exactly pulled up any trees. If Elmo goes to right back then if he's right sided he might get a look in on the bench. 

Who have we got as fullbacks coming through? I know there's Bedeau centrally who sounds like he might be a prospect, what about wide?

In theory though I'm all for it, especially before Jan. It'll give us a better idea of where we are and what we need to do about it.

5 hours ago, romavillan said:

Not a cat in hells chance we are going to average just under 2 points over the next 10 games.

32 minutes ago, KHV said:

Not a cat in hells chance we are going to average just under 2 points over the next 10 games.

Why not? We are well capable of putting a run together. I am expecting a big performance next Friday. It could be the spring board for a run of wins. There really aren’t any good teams in this league.

29 minutes ago, KHV said:

Tough run, Bolton H, Derby A, Birmingham H, Forest H, Middlesboro A, Baggies A, Stoke H, Leeds H, Swansea A, Preston A.

Who knows though, play as well as we did for most of the QPR game and we won't be a million miles off. 15 points from that lot would be good enough I reckon and we'd be 3 points behind where Fulham were.

3 hours ago, romavillan said:

Who have we got as fullbacks coming through?

Not really got any exciting prospects in this area, although Mitch Clark can play LB or RB and has been getting good reviews on loan at port Vale. He is in the last year of his contract though so not sure what the club are going to do with him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Genuine question...If we lose on Friday and then enter a very tough run of fixtures, how long will DS get?

Thats the worry - loose 3 on the trot and we could go into freefall - and when Villa start to spiral it isn't that easy to stop.

I am least hoping that DS can win the bulk of his home games to keep the points tally ticking over.

Edited by hippo

3 hours ago, romavillan said:

Tough run, Bolton H, Derby A, Birmingham H, Forest H, Middlesboro A, Baggies A, Stoke H, Leeds H, Swansea A, Preston A.

Who knows though, play as well as we did for most of the QPR game and we won't be a million miles off. 15 points from that lot would be good enough I reckon and we'd be 3 points behind where Fulham were.

31 points out of that lot. An extra point for beating the Noses. :flag:

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Even if we are in the bottom 3 in 6 weeks time?

Yes. The board are not morons. They hired him knowing full well it would take time to get the team playing well. They aren't the kind of people to be sacking a manager every couple of months. 

Â