Dean Smith

Demitri_C

7 hours ago, TRO said:

Dave, I am not sure its worse than what Bruce inherited but hey its a moot point.

Thank you for your vote in confidence of what you once thought of me.

I too am no tactical guru and have never pretended to be....I just have an opinion like everyone else, sometimes it does not fit with the general consensus, just remember if the the rest of the world said one thing and you thought something different, you are entitled to those thoughts.

I look for things when I am watching a game, things in my opinion have a bearing on the result, that ultimately is what I look for wins....If you look for other things, that's your prerogative, I would guess you too, think they have a bearing on the result otherwise it is hard to wonder what the point is.....but they may not be the same as me.

I still believe in time I will catch up, because I have faith in Dean Smith, but he may take time in getting around to the things I am looking for.

TRO - nothing has changed I still consider you to have a good knowledge of the game - and you certainly have a humility that others could learn from.

When Bruce was appointed I was struck with a feeling of sheer underwhelming and apprehension - at least Smith excites me and offers hope for a better future imo 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, praisedmambo said:

I think you've been hanging out in the dark side a bit too long. There were plenty of other shit things going on around both of them—Lerner cost cutting and Xia being a fraud and having no money—that led to their exits, as different as those were, without them also managing to screw squads over in spite.

Hanging out in the dark side for a bit too long ? classic line, you really made me smile. 

As for the other points you raised, I agree both are correct in the broader context of Lerner and Xia but MoN made his decision and took Lerner to the cleaners as he was only interested in safeguarding his reputation when the spending stopped and not the club's (in my view), same goes for Bruce - the new owners were installed and the money situation fixed by the time he let Elphick and De Laet go out, hence I see it more down to him ruining the squad (in my view) rather than being under pressure to save cash.  To be fair to both, MoN did give us some memorable results and Bruce did stabilise a team in terminal decline but I still think both wasted vast amounts of money and also acted petulantly in the end, so no amount of broader context justifies their behaviour in my opinion.

Happy for you @praisedmambo to disagree as it's an opinion I hold and not 100% based on any concrete ITK facts beyond information I have about how Bruce treats his "favourite" players versus those he wouldn't urinate on in an inferno... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dave J said:

TRO - nothing has changed I still consider you to have a good knowledge of the game - and you certainly have a humility that others could learn from.

When Bruce was appointed I was struck with a feeling of sheer underwhelming and apprehension - at least Smith excites me and offers hope for a better future imo 

Thanks Dave....but hey!......I too have faith In Dean Smith and I am encouraged by what his reputation stands for. I am looking forward to his idea's getting across....I think there will be some casualties along the way, in order to get players in who play his way.

I do not subscribe to the theory, that he will be able to transform all our current batch( but then who could?), but there again, I will be delighted if he can.

• Like 2

As much as i love Dean Smith and want him to succeed here if the latest daily mail rumours prove to be true and he sanctions us spending 8 million on Barry Bannan i'm done....

Edited by AshVilla
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

Thanks Dave....but hey!......I too have faith In Dean Smith and I am encouraged by what his reputation stands for. I am looking forward to his idea's getting across....I think there will be some casualties along the way, in order to get players in who play his way.

I do not subscribe to the theory, that he will be able to transform all our current batch( but then who could?), but there again, I will be delighted if he can.

I think all managers let players go when they come in, not because they’re bad players necessarily but as you say, to get ones in who play their way. For what it’s worth I don’t think he needs to change too much, but I think there’ll be at least a couple coming in during January.

3 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I think all managers let players go when they come in, not because they’re bad players necessarily but as you say, to get ones in who play their way. For what it’s worth I don’t think he needs to change too much, but I think there’ll be at least a couple coming in during January.

I think there is a fair bit at the back he will need to change.

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

I think there is a fair bit at the back he will need to change.

Yes and no. As I said in the match thread, I think it’s time Bree was given a chance, that could solve one problem. Taylor needs replacing and we need another centre back. The goalkeeper could go one way or the other, we’ve all seen keepers start horribly and eventually settle in quite nicely, let’s see where we are come January.

50 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

As much as i love Dean Smith and want him to succeed here if the latest daily mail rumours prove to be true and he sanctions us spending 8 million on Barry Bannan i'm done....

Bannon can play - there is no doubt in my mind- he might be an annoying little so and so - but he can play.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Bannon can play - there is no doubt in my mind- he might be an annoying little so and so - but he can play.

He was hounded out by our fans. I always thought he was a tidy player. He is not worth 8m though, 

edit: Even if we were in for him I doubt he would ever come back to Villa.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He was hounded out by our fans. I always thought he was a tidy player. He is not worth 8m though, 

edit: Even if we were in for him I doubt he would ever come back to Villa.

It's a different Villa these days - he may come back for more game time second time around - I also agree that he is not worth £8mill.

i'd do it for £4 mill ??

Can't fathom why we would be willing to pay the PL and Championship premium for players like Bannan.

Dime a dozen player for any club who actually bother to scout for players. 

Tuanzebe: "We're playing much better football and it's a style I enjoy – keeping the ball and trying to create something by playing from the back. We've adapted well so far."

I wonder what the midfielders and forwards think about the style of play then!

(https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-bruce-smith-tuanzebe-15344697)

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Daily Mail you say? Hmmmmmm

9 minutes ago, sne said:

Can't fathom why we would be willing to pay the PL and Championship premium for players like Bannan.

Dime a dozen player for any club who actually bother to scout for players. 

O, Hare could play the bannan role ....

£8m.....you couldnt make it up could you !!!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Well, you could - the Mail probably have.

With the way media works, you could imagine Smith being overheard at dinner with mates having a general chat about payers.

Smith: "He's a good little player Banaan, ones like that should never been about to leave"

Waiter: " Trying to shout over noise, how many was that sir?!"

Smith: "(Consults with table of eight) 8 meals! "

Reporter sat in the distance goes to work on his new project...

Smith: "He's a good little player Banaan, ones like that should never been about to leave"

Waiter: " Trying to shout over noise, how many was that sir?!"

Smith: "(Consults with table of eight) 8 meals! "

Smith wants Banaan for 8 mill!

As you lot say.... I'll get my coat....

• Haha 1

I was at Walsall for Bannan's first ever appearance for the reserves. He ran on wearing an outrageously large kit which the tiny BB looked comical in (if you think he's small now, you should have seen him as a 17 year old!). For the next 20 minutes he careered round the midfield kicking as many opposition players as he could get close to. He got rapturous applause from the sparse bunch of us that were there. I loved his attitude, but I suspect Smith might be more keen on Ryan Woods. (Stoke have a 6 million option on him in January).

Â