Dean Smith

Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I remember when we had Bannan.

And he didn't cost £8m then either.

He was shite.

We had a very young Bannan in a PL team that contained much better PL players.

He has since gone on to become a decent championship player, and we are a championship team that contains shit like Jedinak, BB and Whelan. 

£8m is a joke, but he would immediately strenghten our first 11. 

Edited by av1

I really despise the way some of our supporters vilifie some of our players and ex players. The strange thing is, when Bannan was previously with us he had nothing but love for the club. I've never understood the constant hounding of one of our own players.

If Bannan does return he should be welcomed with open arms. What better way than to encourage him to produce the good football he is capable of ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

I really despise the way some of our supporters vilifie some of our players and ex players. The strange thing is, when Bannan was previously with us he had nothing but love for the club. I've never understood the constant hounding of one of our own players.

If Bannan does return he should be welcomed with open arms. What better way than to encourage him to produce the good football he is capable of ?

I don’t think anyone is doing this. And I don’t think there is any suggestion that he wouldn’t be welcomed. 

People are just commenting on the quality of the signing. 

Same as a lot of people didn’t want Smith but he’s been welcomed by everyone. 

1 hour ago, av1 said:

We had a very young Bannan in a PL team that contained much better PL players.

He has since gone on to become a decent championship player, and we are a championship team that contains shit like Jedinak, BB and Whelan. 

Not necessarily aimed at you, but that sentence is a bit of a contradiction of itself.

If he "Immediately strengthens our first 11", why is 8 million a joke?

I think most of us are just saying these things to offset the apprehension of seemingly going "backwards" for a player many slagged off as shite and not good enough.

Ross McCormack costed 12 million.

I'm not arguing one way or another but it's either he is now a very good player who most could see improving our first team or he is not.

Not "He used to be shite".

How much do top midfielders and strikers go for in this League in 2018? McGinn is disqualified as he came from Scotland and is a bargain.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, av1 said:

He wouldn't get in to our first XI. He would have to play instead of Grealish or mcginn and they are both better than him. I don't think he could play in any other position and bannan, Jack and mcginn wouldn't work IMO. 

7 minutes ago, villa89 said:

He wouldn't get in to our first XI. He would have to play instead of Grealish or mcginn and they are both better than him. I don't think he could play in any other position and bannan, Jack and mcginn wouldn't work IMO. 

Bannan is a deep lying midfielder, he would play the quarter back role instead of BB, Whelan or Jedinak. He is better than all 3. 

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not necessarily aimed at you, but that sentence is a bit of a contradiction of itself.

If he "Immediately strengthens our first 11", why is 8 million a joke?

I think most of us are just saying these things to offset the apprehension of seemingly going "backwards" for a player many slagged off as shite and not good enough.

Ross McCormack costed 12 million.

I'm not arguing one way or another but it's either he is now a very good player who most could see improving our first team or he is not.

Not "He used to be shite".

How much do top midfielders and strikers go for in this League in 2018? McGinn is disqualified as he came from Scotland and is a bargain.

Fair point, but Ryan Wood is going to Stoke for £6m. I consider Woods a better player so i think £5/6m is ample in this league for a good atandard midfielder. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I don’t think anyone is doing this. And I don’t think there is any suggestion that he wouldn’t be welcomed. 

People are just commenting on the quality of the signing. 

Same as a lot of people didn’t want Smith but he’s been welcomed by everyone. 

I’m sure he’d be welcomed and supported but I remember clearly he was hounded out back in the day. He was one the biggest scapegoats we ever had. Not sure if it was because of something he said. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

He can't even get in one of the shittest ever scotland teams

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He was shite.

Harsh in my opinion - he has a footballing brain and can pick a pass.

I think he is nauseous and this probably puts people off 

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He was shite.

That was 5 years ago.

At that time Christian Benteke was a 25 million pound player and top class. He is shite now

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hippo said:

Me to - I don't get the cast iron certainty that he will be a success here - because he had very moderate success at two much smaller clubs.  

How would you define success for Walsall and Brentford?

34 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Where does Bannan fit into our team? We've got better already.

He plays in front of back 4 spraying passes around midfield like a quarter back. He is better technically than Jedinak, Whelan and BB and would suit Smith style

I dont think we will sign him specifically but its definite the style of player we will be looking to sign in this window or in summer

36 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Where does Bannan fit into our team? We've got better already.

CDM. For how Smith tries to play, who do you think is better out of BB, Jedinak or Whelan. 

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m sure he’d be welcomed and supported but I remember clearly he was hounded out back in the day. He was one the biggest scapegoats we ever had. Not sure if it was because of something he said. 

I don't think he was hounded out. He was definitely criticised though, and that's complete different than villifying an ex player we might be resigning.

And most of the criticism was fair at the time. He was crap for us in the Prem when we had him. Really crap. Plus he got done for drink driving IIRC which doesn't exactly endear yourself to a fan base.

I'm sure if he's re signed he'll be welcomed and given a chance my the vast majority, if not all, our supporters.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think he was hounded out. He was definitely criticised though, and that's complete different than villifying an ex player we might be resigning.

And most of the criticism was fair at the time. He was crap for us in the Prem when we had him. Really crap. Plus he got done for drink driving IIRC which doesn't exactly endear yourself to a fan base.

I'm sure if he's re signed he'll be welcomed and given a chance my the vast majority, if not all, our supporters.

From what I remember he was as crap as most the team but seemed to get singled out most games. He even got booed at times.  The drink driving wouldn’t have helped though. 

For what it’s worth he is a decent player but I’d hope Smith would be concentrating on defensive signings. Midfield is not a priority. 

• Like 1

Â