Dean Smith

Demitri_C

On 27/10/2018 at 16:10, LakotaDakota said:

We had the ball for 68% of the game last night. We scored 0 - They scored 1.

Possession is pointless if you don't do anything with it.

We moved the ball around much quicker which is good but there wasn't much of a cutting edge and not sure we ever really looked like scoring.

We also gave the ball away an awful lot as a result of trying to play out from the back/move the ball quickly which should hopefully lessen as the players adapt and get used to they system and where they are supposed to be at all times.

The downside i guess is that we have gone from averaging 1.67 goals per game playing "defensive Bruceball" to averaging 0.67 goals per game playing more attacking possession based football..

Transition takes time and I guess we all look at criteria and form a judgement....that criteria may vary from fan to fan and game to game.

some things are more important to some fans than others, hence the different opinions on here.

anything is pointless in isolation....things coming together is what imo qualifies for meaningful improvement.

some things also have a knock on effect, both ways, so individual errors can camouflage, other good work that has been done on the training ground.

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think we will struggle until we get a new keeper. He really is the worst keeper I’ve ever seen at Villa and that’s no exaggeration.

Enckleman?

7 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

It is bizarre in the sense that any meaningful change takes time to implement and still strange, but not hard to understand, when you remember football is a results driven business where most owners are gambling on accessing or retaining access to the Premier League gravy train. With money as the goal, all decision making is predicated on a cold, hard analysis of the return on investment.

Moreover, most owners think they can 'fast track' 'access' through a hyper short term investment policy - just see Tony Xia as an example and he's not alone. New owners often allude to building infrastructures and restoring former glories and to these ends, Smith was hired to entertain, but he also HAS to get results, just like every other manager.

Therefore, his task is actually much harder than that of your average 'dinosaur', who only has to win because he doesn't promise to do anything else.

With huge sums at stake, owners will allow the manager time to develop the team's playing style (for as long as he is achieving it whilst also winning), but that time will rapidly run out if he isn't.

Against that background, the upcoming tough fixtures are a real worry. If we are in the bottom three at Christmas, he will definitely be under pressure because pretty losers are still losers. That's not just unfair on Smith, it's the reality of our modern world.

Its well put....and  comments well worth digesting.

There are so many reasons, that I want this guy to succeed....I really do.

On 27/10/2018 at 19:29, Dave-R said:

Exactly how I feel, last season was like yeah we mite get up, failed. Now this season is bruce failed and got too start again but this time do it properly under Smith.

I came to realise a while ago that until our players are taught a way to play and goofball is abolished at villa, then we won't be going anywhere out of this league back into the top flight.

I realise the day of throwing money at a situation are now over and I am glad (football can return to what it is) it's just a shame villa have fallen so far behind in this, but we have the remedy to the poison now.

Just look at Manchester United sitting mid table, fallen so far since money isn't doing the trick anymore like it did for them mid 90s and on, if the players are not playing, the tactics are not installed rite and the game plan isn't down then it isn't happening. As I said some days ago, teams that are still in the premier and how have been for like 15 years onwards are struggling to teams who have moved up from the championship. Yet the likes of man u have spent much more than these teams from our league, when I said villa were outdated I also mean other teams up in the top flight are too and there time will also come.

Football is again changing back to what it once was and players worth will really show by how they play on regular occasions.

We have all often said money has ruined our beautiful game, again look at how our team was used to cater to other team and we sold our talent for money (no more and I'm glad). Just look at how the championship clubs and below have fought the money issue problem, by updating the way they play, starting from scratch, tore up the rule book and basically devised new strategy of play that drive the most star filled money driven teams crazy because they can not cope.

If anything I really to admire the team in this league and below in how they have had no choice but too change, I admire them for doing what was needed to show the money driven teams that they are still here and we will out play you.

Money will always be important, but how and when you spend it is too.....but many other things need to be in place too.

I am not surprised to see Man U in the position it is because SAF was so central to their success, however every situation can be different where Arsenal are not having the same problem....for every example lies a counter argument.

It might be worth reminding the purists ( and that's not a dig, because I too like sweet flowing football) The 1981/82 side were not renowned for sweet football but functional football, but its hard to be peed off with such football that wins the league with 26 wins and goes on to lift Europes top prize.....The fans like me had to endure Bobby Robson's Ipswich take all the plaudits from the press and media.....we was constantly jibed as being lucky and they were the darlings of the league and we just imposters that gate crashed, their stylish game....110% workrate was forever thrown in our faces.

No one likes more than me,what Liverpool and Man City have achieved in terms of their wonderful play.....what I am saying to some is, be careful what you wish for, because at some stage it has to produce results, to be meaningful.....It doesn't go unnoticed that substantial investment has gone on a goal keeper and centre Back for Liverpool and it equally hasn't gone unnoticed of the huge affect Vincent Kompany has had on Man City's rise to fame.

If Dean Smith can change our style to free flowing and easy on the eye and at the same time implement a defence that can be miserly at the back.....I will be a happy man.

Here's to hoping we do.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Dave, I am not sure its worse than what Bruce inherited but hey its a moot point.

Thank you for your vote in confidence of what you once thought of me.

I too am no tactical guru and have never pretended to be....I just have an opinion like everyone else, sometimes it does not fit with the general consensus, just remember if the the rest of the world said one thing and you thought something different, you are entitled to those thoughts.

I look for things when I am watching a game, things in my opinion have a bearing on the result, that ultimately is what I look for wins....If you look for other things, that's your prerogative, I would guess you too, think they have a bearing on the result otherwise it is hard to wonder what the point is.....but they may not be the same as me.

I still believe in time I will catch up, because I have faith in Dean Smith, but he may take time in getting around to the things I am looking for.

It's not even close to being as bad as when Bruce arrived but hey ho, opinions n all that I guess........

• Like 1

Axel Tuanzebe interview: I'm at home with Aston Villa's new style of play

Axel Tuanzebe says he is feeling the benefit of a new style of play under Head Coach Dean Smith more than most.

The Manchester United loanee is accustomed to the approach under the new regime, having been taught that way since a young age at Old Trafford.

And, alongside the move to install him at centre-back, Tuanzebe admits recent changes have allowed us to see the best of his abilities.

He said: "It suits my style of play. It's the one I'm used to back at Manchester United and it benefits me to be playing that way here.

"You can seee already that we're dominating games. We just need that final touch, pass – whatever it might be.

"Hopefully the extended time on the training pitch now can help us achieve that.

"We're playing much better football and it's a style I enjoy – keeping the ball and trying to create something by playing from the back. We've adapted well so far."

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Money will always be important, but how and when you spend it is too.....but many other things need to be in place too.

I am not surprised to see Man U in the position it is because SAF was so central to their success, however every situation can be different where Arsenal are not having the same problem....for every example lies a counter argument.

It might be worth reminding the purists ( and that's not a dig, because I too like sweet flowing football) The 1981/82 side were not renowned for sweet football but functional football, but its hard to be peed off with such football that wins the league with 26 wins and goes on to lift Europes top prize.....The fans like me had to endure Bobby Robson's Ipswich take all the plaudits from the press and media.....we was constantly jibed as being lucky and they were the darlings of the league and we just imposters that gate crashed, their stylish game....110% workrate was forever thrown in our faces.

No one likes more than me,what Liverpool and Man City have achieved in terms of their wonderful play.....what I am saying to some is, be careful what you wish for, because at some stage it has to produce results, to be meaningful.....It doesn't go unnoticed that substantial investment has gone on a goal keeper and centre Back for Liverpool and it equally hasn't gone unnoticed of the huge affect Vincent Kompany has had on Man City's rise to fame.

If Dean Smith can change our style to free flowing and easy on the eye and at the same time implement a defence that can be miserly at the back.....I will be a happy man.

Here's to hoping we do.

Good post - He has to deliver something that can be measured. I really hope he does - I know he some pretty big baggage at the moment - in dodgy goalkeepers , and ageing defenders. However I maintain he should be able to get something out of these players between now and Christmas - If he gets on a loosing streak like Garde did, he would quite rightly be able to cite mitigating circumstances  - but it would take some recovery.

Heres hoping for an emphatic win v Bolton on Friday evening.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think Enkleman was that bad. 2 high profile errors in 2 big games cost him. 

Nyland is just stuck to his line. It’s ridiculous.

Its that thing again....opinions

I thought Encklemen was tentative and not physically confident....I think those errors you mention as isolated, which they were......were always coming , it looked like in most games ,they were coming.

Edited by TRO

Even if we lose on Friday it's not a big deal imo, providing we keep trying to play under the current system and get better at it. I said at the time of him being appointed it's going to be short term pain for long term gain. There's a huge amount of work to be done completely changing how we play from when Bruce was in charge. We need to find a system and get good at it, rather than doing what Bruce did and throw enough shit at the wall in the hope that something would stick.

I know others have said that the way we play hasn't changed much from Bruce's style, but personally I see a huge difference and long may it continue. When it clicks, we'll be laughing. Might take a little while though.... 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its that thing again....opinions

I thought Encklemen was tentative and not physically confident....I think those errors you mention as isolated, which they were......were always coming , it looked like in most games ,they were coming.

Let’s not forget the competition. If Nyland was in the Premier League it wouldn’t be pretty. 

Keeping on topic. Smith has to buy a new keeper in January. It’s a must.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Even if we lose on Friday it's not a big deal imo, providing we keep trying to play under the current system and get better at it. I said at the time of him being appointed it's going to be short term pain for long term gain. There's a huge amount of work to be done completely changing how we play from when Bruce was in charge. We need to find a system and get good at it, rather than doing what Bruce did and throw enough shit at the wall in the hope that something would stick.

I know others have said that the way we play hasn't changed much from Bruce's style, but personally I see a huge difference and long may it continue. When it clicks, we'll be laughing. Might take a little while though.... 

I'm very much in the Dean Smith fan club but we need to steady on here now. We are not in that much of a state that we can't beat an out of sorts Bolton at villa park. I'd be disappointed if we didn't take these apart. 

• Like 1

Interestingly comments on DS, time he has and relegation places!  For me, we live in the Information Age where everything is instant, be it news, contact or even food!  That has to be tempered with regards to what the club is doing, whilst everyone loves winning there is no quick fix and you sometimes have to take a few on the on the chin whilst you sort out solid foundations.  We have been rudderless for ten years, no style or plan, with everything built on shifting sands!

I am pleased in the progress so far, but believe the owners are into this for the long game as we should be.  There will be bumps in the road but we will not be in the bottom three and even if we do, we need to continue to back the team and dS as what is being implemented is the right thing to do as for the future of this club.  Vive Revolution!

Edited by macandally
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I'm very much in the Dean Smith fan club but we need to steady on here now. We are not in that much of a state that we can't beat an out of sorts Bolton at villa park. I'd be disappointed if we didn't take these apart. 

Agree. Transition or not, these are the games we should be winning. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, macandally said:

Interestingly comments on DS, time he has and relegation places!  For me, we live in the Information Age where everything is instant, be it news, contact or even food!  That has to be tempered with regards to what the club is doing, whilst everyone loves winning there is no quick fix and you sometimes have to take a few on the on the chin whilst you sort out solid foundations.  We have been rudderless for ten years, no style or plan, with everything built on shifting sands!

I am pleased in the progress so far, but believe the owners are into this for the long game as we should be.  There will be bumps in the road but we will not be in the bottom three and even if we do, we need to continue to back the team and dS as what is being implemented is the right thing to do as for the future of this club.  Vive Revolution!

Having supported Villa for precisely 58 years....I think I qualify.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

I'm sat here with a smile on my face. I'm not thinking about the last three matches, the next match, the next three matches or even the run up until January or the end of the season ..... I'm thinking about the unfolding 'Dean Smith era'.

I'm positive that NSWE and CP have made an inspired appointment, and at some point in the next couple of seasons the football world will once again be talking about Villa .... this time for all the right reasons!

We can afford to be patient, because this time we've got it right.

and there is not a genuine fan in existence, that hopes you are wrong.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â