Dean Smith

Demitri_C

15 minutes ago, Junxs said:

The season before our defence was the 4th best in the league despite finishing 13th, so it wasn't all down to Terry. 

Exactly.

Terry obviously improved it. He was excellent for most of last season. But the 3 of that 4 defenders that are still left are still good players. They shouldn't have gone from best defence in the league to calamity just because they lost John Terry. I'm aware the goalkeeper situation doesn't help either, but I still think, once Smith sorts us out, that that defence is good enough for a promotion push.

It may be too late now, but the point still stands.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Exactly.

Terry obviously improved it. He was excellent for most of last season. But the 3 of that 4 defenders that are still left are still good players. They shouldn't have gone from best defence in the league to calamity just because they lost John Terry. I'm aware the goalkeeper situation doesn't help either, but I still think, once Smith sorts us out, that that defence is good enough for a promotion push.

It may be too late now, but the point still stands.

Highlights how much the keeper is affecting us in my opinion. 

I don't think bannan is better than grealish or McGinn, but probably better than Hourihane.

If McGinn is going to be used deeper like a lot of us hope then it would probably be a good signing.

BUT

for £8million? I'm not so sure. That would ring alarm bells for me.

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think bannan is better than grealish or McGinn, but probably better than Hourihane.

If McGinn is going to be used deeper like a lot of us hope then it would probably be a good signing.

BUT

for £8million? I'm not so sure. That would ring alarm bells for me.

I think Bannan is a half decent championship player, but as you’ve said, we already have better and if we’re trying to get even better he would be backwards step IMO. ESP for £8m 

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

No. I’m asking whether losing him is enough for the defence to go from excellent to shit. 

Id say the answer has proven to be yes.

He was the best defender in the league last year, no one would miss that kind of impact.

45 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Id say the answer has proven to be yes.

He was the best defender in the league last year, no one would miss that kind of impact.

Ok. My entire point was that losing John Terry wasn't the ONLY reason that our defence has got so shit. And if we can fix the other reasons then we still have a decent defence.

If you think it was entirely down to John Terry then fair enough, but I respectfully disagree.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Ok. My entire point was that losing John Terry wasn't the ONLY reason that our defence has got so shit. And if we can fix the other reasons then we still have a decent defence.

If you think it was entirely down to John Terry then fair enough, but I respectfully disagree.

Id argue he is the sole reason!

There is no way in the world Hutton becomes a good left back if it wasn't for Terry's ability to organise the defence. 

It also looks as if Chester plays better with his reassurance there too (Although i would be surprised if he doesn't recover soon)

My point is that Terry made the other players better than they are; So you are not just removing him (the player) from the team.

25 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Id argue he is the sole reason!

There is no way in the world Hutton becomes a good left back if it wasn't for Terry's ability to organise the defence. 

It also looks as if Chester plays better with his reassurance there too (Although i would be surprised if he doesn't recover soon)

My point is that Terry made the other players better than they are; So you are not just removing him (the player) from the team.

GK

• Thanks 1

Fwiw i think a deep lying ball passing midfielder like Bannan is exactly what we need in midfield. £8m is a bit on the steep side though, so much like the story itself, i suspect it's nonsence. 

Â