Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, briny_ear said:

This has been one of the funniest exchanges on here for a long time.

All these people who thought you had Bruce as your avatar and quietly fuming because they thought you were a “Bruce supporter”!

Casts a different light on some of those previous discussions about SB.

For Sure Briny.

but also may reinforce my declaration....that I was only ever supporting him against what I thought was vociferous injustice remarks.

I am happy with the final outcome, but it would not surprise me if he goes on to acquire some form of success with some other team.

He is not a bad manager in my view....but i did finally get fed up with the style have to admit that....Most of his detractors who had the ability to be civil, I did get their points and much of the time agreed with them.

as I reiterated in a previous post.....first and foremost I just want winning football, and I understand I may have to wait for that.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

My biggest concern is I didn’t ever realise @TRO‘s avatar was a person.

looks like I’ve put off wearing my specs long enough. 

I know its small, but even I can see that without my bins.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

For Sure Briny.

but also may reinforce my declaration....that I was only ever supporting him against what I thought was vociferous injustice remarks.

I am happy with the final outcome, but it would not surprise me if he goes on to acquire some form of success with some other team.

He is not a bad manager in my view....but i did finally get fed up with the style have to admit that....Most of his detractors who had the ability to be civil, I did get their points and much of the time agreed with them.

as I reiterated in a previous post.....first and foremost I just want winning football, and I understand I may have to wait for that.

Pretty much my views too, TRO, although I have also been labelled a "Bruce supporter" in the past.

My view was always that he wasn't the best option but was probably good enough to get us out of the Championship (whatever his playing "style")and that he never deserved the level of negative comments he got on this site.

I also thought we would benefit from a bit of stability after the upheavals around our relegation season/failure of RDM.

However, it was clear this season he had lost the plot a bit and after the Preston match and a couple of shambolic episodes before that it was inevitable he would go.

Where we may differ is that I am disappointed we couldn't do better than Dean Smith by way of replacement.

He has shown he can produce and sustain a squad that can achieve top half in the Championship. It's a bit of a gamble to think he can produce and sustain a squad that can get promoted and prosper in the premier league.

Maybe I'm wrong... time will tell.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Pretty much my views too, TRO, although I have also been labelled a "Bruce supporter" in the past.

My view was always that he wasn't the best option but was probably good enough to get us out of the Championship (whatever his playing "style")and that he never deserved the level of negative comments he got on this site.

I also thought we would benefit from a bit of stability after the upheavals around our relegation season/failure of RDM.

However, it was clear this season he had lost the plot a bit and after the Preston match and a couple of shambolic episodes before that it was inevitable he would go.

Where we may differ is that I am disappointed we couldn't do better than Dean Smith by way of replacement.

He has shown he can produce and sustain a squad that can achieve top half in the Championship. It's a bit of a gamble to think he can produce and sustain a squad that can get promoted and prosper in the premier league.

• Oh I am well aware of that.
  • As for Dean Smith, I have to be honest, I have no idea WHO was the right choice, its anyone's call.....I did like the sound of Thierry Henry, but in hindsight, i think my heart ruled my head.....No Deano it is and I will back him and support him in the same way I did Steve Bruce.....There are many things that sit comfortable with me with Dean Smith, but I don't think it will be a quick fix....I only hope he gets enough wins to keep the wolf from the door, because despite all the rhetoric defeats and draws question/challenge the progress.
  • I think we need to concentrate on getting the team right to get out.....it will require a slightly different skill set to stay in the prem, but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Personally Brin, I think the steve Bruce debate has got moss growing out of it.....Dean Smith is now our man and we NEED to UNITE behind him....whether he was a fans first choice or not.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TRO said:
  • Oh I am well aware of that.
  • As for Dean Smith, I have to be honest, I have no idea WHO was the right choice, its anyone's call.....I did like the sound of Thierry Henry, but in hindsight, i think my heart ruled my head.....No Deano it is and I will back him and support him in the same way I did Steve Bruce.....There are many things that sit comfortable with me with Dean Smith, but I don't think it will be a quick fix....I only hope he gets enough wins to keep the wolf from the door, because despite all the rhetoric defeats and draws question/challenge the progress.
  • I think we need to concentrate on getting the team right to get out.....it will require a slightly different skill set to stay in the prem, but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Personally Brin, I think the steve Bruce debate has got moss growing out of it.....Dean Smith is now our man and we NEED to UNITE behind him....whether he was a fans first choice or not.

Indeed, onward and (fingers crossed) upwards. Here's hoping for a win tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

This is my concern with Smith. There was a lot less pressure at Walsall and Brentford as they were not really expected to achieve anything. Their fans were quite happy to just be entertained and the results didn't matter as much. Villa is a totally different proposition and expectations are much higher. I'm not sure how long style over substance will last if we keep getting poor results.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

wait is the Dean Smith thread morphing back into the Steve Bruce thread?

Not really, because everyone now seems to agree we are better off without him !?

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Dave J said:

I don't agree - Whelan and Jed are bang average, you surely don't believe that either of this pair are better footballers than Bannon ? Yet they cut it in the prem.

I agree that £8mill would be overpriced - but I honestly believe Bannon would add to this squad.

Jack apart - he would be the best passer of the ball we would have. Imo 

I’d rather we try Lydan or Dayle-Hoyes before spending £8m on Bannun.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I’d rather we try Lydan or Dayle-Hoyes before spending £8m on Bannun.

I agree £8mill is way too much - but I can't agree with anyone who thinks that he would not offer something to our squad.

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

So Smith says that they had an internal game to really test those who haven’t played much recently. It’s likely that’s why a lot of the youth players weren’t involved in their game.

I kinda hope this leads to Bree getting a chance, and O'Hare at the very least on the bench and actually used if at all possible.

Will be very interesting to see if DS goes with Whelan or Hourihane in midfield. (......or Lansbury), due to Thor's injury.

Edited by MaVilla

6 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Did he ever have a plot to lose ? To be honest I never thought for a moment he would deliver for us - 4 promotions in twenty years ? I'd keep my mouth shut if I were him. Totally overrated. But back to Smith - yes I concede it's a gamble to a degree - but he does show potential - I think we all agree this much and I am happy to see him here - time alone will tell, but I think I'll enjoy the ride for now.anyhow 

• Like 2

I’ve read that In terms of how we play, identity and long term vision he is basically saying what we have wanted to hear for years. I know we might say other owners and managers have said similar things at the club but if I’m being honest I can’t remember hearing it. But my memory is hazy so would be happy to be corrected if we’ve heard all this before? 

The club finally has a plan with serious people in charge. 

I’m optimistic for the future

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve read that In terms of how we play, identity and long term vision he is basically saying what we have wanted to hear for years. I know we might say other owners and managers have said similar things at the club but if I’m being honest I can’t remember hearing it. But my memory is hazy so would be happy to be corrected if we’ve heard all this before? 

The club finally has a plan with serious people in charge. 

I’m optimistic for the future

Are you seriously you never heard the club mention those ideas before ?  - It seems to me all we have done is talk of such things ? 

Â