Dean Smith

Demitri_C

50 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yes please do. The same eddie howe that has kept a small club like bournmouth in the premier league consistently for many years?

Well I'll start with the punchline and ask me if you want more....

Bournemouth are 2 points above us and have played one more game, and currently they occupy one of the relegation spots.

You said this isn't any time to gamble, Eddie Howe would be a massive gamble.

I'm happy to elaborate on how his style doesn't suit the players we have, he is a great coach but I wouldn't give him $5 to spend in the transfer market... 

Dean Smith is a great coach, so they are very similar so why change?

If we change we need something different surely....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Harry said:

Just to be clear you are saying he fluked promotion last season and has always been a poor manager who has now been found out in the PL? 
He gets no credit last season for the ‘ridiculous run of form’ or for ‘scraping through the playoffs’?

No, that isn't what I said at all if you read carefully.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Yes please do. The same eddie howe that has kept a small club like bournmouth in the premier league consistently for many years?

22 million Dominic Solanke, 15million Ibe. Shoestring signings 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

22 million Dominic Solanke, 15million Ibe. Shoestring signings 

2 points above us with an extra game played, despite having years to create a good, settled side. Yes, that Eddie Howe. 

• Like 2

I think Smith should go but i dont buy into this loosing the dressing room thing. 

What do the players think, they go out and put in bad performances and not try because they dont like Smith anymore?  They are professional footballers playing in the best league in the world.  Do you not think they want to play well inorder to keep themselves in the league or at least keep themselves in the shop window if we do get relegated.

I honestly think its smiths tactics and team selection that is the issue.  Yes its might be that the players arent good enough as well but its not down to a lack of trying or giving up.

Smith was probably right though, up until 40 minutes we were doing OK and then Reina dropped a clanger. 

The probably isn't so much Smith but recruitment, this falls on Suso. I thought in the Summer we should have been moving heaven and earth to sign Cahill and Milner (or two of the same ilk). We needed PL experience, I'm not a professional footballer or manager but surely we all knew this was important but why didn't the people running the club?

Maybe Smith would have liked to sign PL experience but got told it was out of his hands, I therefore sympathise with Smith.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, thunderball said:

I don’t doubt this squad wasn’t quite ready, and we have suffered from bad injuries too. But surely items 2-6 are areas you would expect a manager to address? And we have deteriorated as the season has progressed. I just don’t see any sparks or progress we can develop to improve, it needs a new approach.

Smith won't resign, why would he kiss several million pounds goodbye? He won't be sacked either. The board gave him a contract extension after the team won one game. This surely indicates that they haven't a clue what they are doing. We are going down and it is going to get ugly. Starting with the Chelsea game when we get hammered and he plays Danny Drinkwater .

ATB.

VLD.

Just now, Mazrim said:

I have some sympathy with some things. You can't legislate for your keeper going walkabout thinking he's the world's best sweeper, or VAR screwing us over for the millionth time, but things like fading away after 10 minutes, having no clue what to do on corners, 1 shot on target per game. I can't justify any of that. I really, really am rooting for Dean. But we look horrible on the pitch too often. And if certain players don't show up, there's just nothing there. I feel bad for the owners. I think we've completely lost all our momentum and some of those under them have let them down.

It's not too late but I'm looking for signs of life and there isn't much. Plucky defeat one week, abject failure the next. It's getting boring.

The thing is for me it all comes down to discipline.  Why is the keeper making moronic decisions like this? Why are we making consistent defensive mistakes? Basic league two level mistakes?

I think smith seems too nice. I dont think he is strong enough to deal with big egos and when things are going wrong. You think someone like big sam would tolerate shit like reina and engels did?

We need a tougher charchter in the dug out

Losing faith.

This football is as bad as ANYTHING we've seen over the past few years. The performances at the moment are indefensible. Gone is the excuse that we're playing good football and sticking to a system and it'll all come together. It's not coming together, it's falling apart. There's no system, no ideas, we don't look like creating much at all. The defence is woefully bad and even the players who were dragging us through games before aren't performing now.

To be honest the only reason I'm leaning towards keeping Smith is that I think he'd bring us straight back up from the championship if we kept the majority of our players.

Last night was the nail in our coffin for this season, imo. I can't see us getting out of it now and wouldn't be surprised to see us finish bottom to be perfectly honest.

Fans talking we needed PL experienced players, but then cry there eyes out when someone mentions, we should have signed a PL experienced manager. It's more than relevant these days. If you want to stay in the Premier :League you need experience. The biggest F**** up by the board was taking Smith into the Premier League with a New Squad. Smith has not got the experience to Coach a team into PL standard, It will come, but not yet. I personally thought they threw him under a bus with the contract extension, no way should he have been offered that until the end of the season. 

We believe this board has ambition, if so why keep on a amateur manager, who has no idea of coaching in the PL. 

The players. Ok they are not the best, but they have been signed to improve over the season, fans and the board thinking we have a great coach capable of improving players, really, I see no improvement whatsoever in any player signed over nearly a full season. I'm also shocked Smith still does not know his best team or system.

People need to ask themselves, is there any other owners in the premier League that would sign Dean Smith to coach/manage there team. I very much doubt, with what they have seen, he will get another job in the PL. Again with the ambition the owners claim to have, I have no idea why they thought Smith would be the man.

35 minutes ago, KHV said:

So Dean thought our defensive shape was good

That tells you all you need to know about his ability 

That must mean Guilbert wasn’t playing full back.  Because despite apparently having “good shape” I don’t remember his being in the right place for a full back very often from a defensive point of view!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Fans talking we needed PL experienced players, but then cry there eyes out when someone mentions, we should have signed a PL experienced manager. It's more than relevant these days. If you want to stay in the Premier :League you need experience. The biggest F**** up by the board was taking Smith into the Premier League with a New Squad. Smith has not got the experience to Coach a team into PL standard, It will come, but not yet. I personally thought they threw him under a bus with the contract extension, no way should he have been offered that until the end of the season. 

We believe this board has ambition, if so why keep on a amateur manager, who has no idea of coaching in the PL. 

The players. Ok they are not the best, but they have been signed to improve over the season, fans and the board thinking we have a great coach capable of improving players, really, I see no improvement whatsoever in any player signed over nearly a full season. I'm also shocked Smith still does not know his best team or system.

People need to ask themselves, is there any other owners in the premier League that would sign Dean Smith to coach/manage there team. I very much doubt, with what they have seen, he will get another job in the PL. Again with the ambition the owners claim to have, I have no idea why they thought Smith would be the man.

It's easy to say this, but it's very very hard for a club to sack the manager who has performed so well in the Championship and only appointed earlier the same season.

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

2 points above us with an extra game played, despite having years to create a good, settled side. Yes, that Eddie Howe. 

The reason Bournemouth are in this position is because of an horrific injury crisis. Eddie Howe has kept a tiny little club in the Premier League for a few years. I’d take him over smith anyday

His biggest mistake is the way he keeps chopping and changing the players and formation, should have just stuck with the 523 formation that saw us beat Burnley away, draw with Brighton away, beat and draw with Leicester in the cup and beat Watford, yes we had a few bad games playing that system where we lost to Bournemouth, Tottenham, and Southampton, but on another day could have taken draws from those games. By switching back to four at the back all that you're doing is going back to a system that had already failed us over a longer period than the 523.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Smith was probably right though, up until 40 minutes we were doing OK and then Reina dropped a clanger. 

Sorry but we weren't doing OK up to 40 minutes. We were getting battered and should have been ~2 goals down, they missed three open headers (Ineacho, Evans and Soyuncu). We started the game well and should have scored and then from the tenth minute on it was just a question of how many we would lose by. We lost by four but it could have been 8.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

Sorry but we weren't doing OK up to 40 minutes. We were getting battered and should have been ~2 goals down, they missed three open headers (Ineacho, Evans and Soyuncu). We started the game well and should have scored and then from the tenth minute on it was just a question of how many we would lose by. We lost by four but it could have been 8.

We also should have probably had two goals before they even scored. We looked way up for it until Reina ruined it. At least try and be consistent in your moan 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I have no belief that Smith can get us promoted straight back after we are relegated. 

Sack him and get someone now so they have time to prepare for next season. 

Never rated Smith and glad more are starting to see how woefully inept he is tactically, as well as some poor recruitment choices. 

• Thanks 1

Â