Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, VillaChris said:

Well Wolves still do it but they simply have better quality top level players. Also a far better structure to their 3-5-2 than when we attempt it.

Exactly they have better players than us. Therefore its silly to try use that style when our squad is relatively poor compared to theirs.

2 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

I agree to a point- but if Smith makes a mistake it's Smiths fault - if a player makes a mistake it seems to be smiths fault. It isn't weak coaching when Reina, Engels etc do what they do.

I still maintain the reina mistake is down to discipline. Smith was just sat their with a facw like thunder. He should have been going mental at points if that game.

How do we manage to get even worse than that Southampton game?

22 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

I agree to a point- but if Smith makes a mistake it's Smiths fault - if a player makes a mistake it seems to be smiths fault. It isn't weak coaching when Reina, Engels etc do what they do.

Reina, did what he did, because he was totally exposed down his right, by a full back way out of position once again.....It was a foolish gamble, but never the less he was exposed.

I am not condoning it, but understand  the rationale of why he come.....just wrong decision IMO....for a team riddled with wrong decisions.

Edited by TRO

53 minutes ago, Feidhlim said:

The club, for the first time in years, has some stability. Not perfect by any means but certainly more competent managers throughout the club vs. the previous establishment.

Things aren't going to plan but so many people here are suggesting we are already relegated.

We aren't relegated and even if that becomes a reality, DC (and the other managers of the club) are more than capable of owning it, learning from it and winning the championship next year.

I do not want another manager merry-go-round, players leaving for a fraction they should because they don't fit the new system and a huge churn in backroom staff. This doesn't help us long-term.

This is exactly why this modern structure has been implemented, by us, and at most progressive clubs.

You get a manager, or managers who know what they are working with, and what system they are coming into, and what sort of players they have to work with etc. a HEAD COACH.

A system which the most obvious example of Brentford have utilised so well.

I'm not trying to push Deano, but currently this is a weak excuse for keeping him.

I like him alot, but I said the same when the argument was for Bruce, stability can be "Stably shit" as well.

This board won't be selling any of these at "a fraction of the price" we paid for them IMO.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

10 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I would be shocked if they sacked him too but for me it is time. Another shocking performance but then we get those most weeks do we not?

yep

and the shock, if he got sacked, says it all to me.

10 hours ago, villianusa said:

I honestly don't see what he is doing week to week in training. You would expect to see some gains in some areas, but the same issues are continuing game after game. Some of the issues are below:

1. We cannot defend set pieces

2. Teams are tearing us apart in wide areas

3. We play too high a line, and teams are playing off the shoulder of the last defender and we are getting beaten fro pace

4. Our center midfielders are offering the defense very little protection

5. El Ghazi is the only wide player who is offering any pace and crosses into productive areas

6. Grealish is constantly played out of position to force in another center midfielder, so he becomes very ineffective and the balance of the team is off

7. Samatta is often isolated when he wins the ball, and along with Grealish he has to come so deep to collect the ball that he isn't being productive in front of goal

8. We cannot not seem to keep up an tempo in the game, and we often sit back and allow teams to come at us. This often allows teams to score after the pressure forces individual errors

9. Grealish is being hustled and kicked out of games and Smith hasn't identified another way to attack to allow Grealish some freedom of the park

10. Players are not doing the basics within their position, and it is leading to some very embarrassing and costly errors

I could keep going on, but it's very depressing. I can see him doing a job if we get relegated, but his words of late shows me he is feeling the pressure and his lack of ability to inspire the players make me wonder if he is the man for the job. The team doesn't seem to know what it doing, and the players very rarely show much fight when we go behind. 

Night All!

Many of us could.....and I can't argue with you.

but, the conclusion is what?......That is a list conducive with a sick club, not a team full of beans having won promotion.

12 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Could be fun reading some of these posts in about 16 months. 

What's going to happen in 16 months?

(Please tell me I'm going to meet a hot brunette and she will fall deeply and madly in love with me)

(Dont tell the wife)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, villianusa said:

I honestly don't see what he is doing week to week in training. You would expect to see some gains in some areas, but the same issues are continuing game after game. Some of the issues are below:

1. We cannot defend set pieces

2. Teams are tearing us apart in wide areas

3. We play too high a line, and teams are playing off the shoulder of the last defender and we are getting beaten fro pace

4. Our center midfielders are offering the defense very little protection

5. El Ghazi is the only wide player who is offering any pace and crosses into productive areas

6. Grealish is constantly played out of position to force in another center midfielder, so he becomes very ineffective and the balance of the team is off

7. Samatta is often isolated when he wins the ball, and along with Grealish he has to come so deep to collect the ball that he isn't being productive in front of goal

8. We cannot not seem to keep up an tempo in the game, and we often sit back and allow teams to come at us. This often allows teams to score after the pressure forces individual errors

9. Grealish is being hustled and kicked out of games and Smith hasn't identified another way to attack to allow Grealish some freedom of the park

10. Players are not doing the basics within their position, and it is leading to some very embarrassing and costly errors

I could keep going on, but it's very depressing. I can see him doing a job if we get relegated, but his words of late shows me he is feeling the pressure and his lack of ability to inspire the players make me wonder if he is the man for the job. The team doesn't seem to know what it doing, and the players very rarely show much fight when we go behind. 

Night All!

Yes, but apart from that we are allright

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

My bigger concern is that, if we keep Smith but get relegated, I have zero faith that money will be well spent trying to build a team capable of bringing us back up.

Surely that's more an issue with Pitarch? I know Smith has input but the buck stops with Jesus. And in which case, I agree. I don't trust him to spend it well.

Edited by Mazrim
  • Like 2

I said this last night and I still think it’s a sensible thing to do, put deano on gardening leave, get someone in short term to try and save this season, if we stay up reevaluate, sorry but it probably won’t be you Dean we need to think bigger and show ambition, if we go down then give smith another season to try and get us back up. It’s a bit unconventional but it could work. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

I said this last night and I still think it’s a sensible thing to do, put deano on gardening leave, get someone in short term to try and save this season, if we stay up reevaluate, sorry but it probably won’t be you Dean we need to think bigger and show ambition, if we go down then give smith another season to try and get us back up. It’s a bit unconventional but it could work. 

Nobody would accept those conditions, nor should they.

• Like 3

The board need to put him out of his misery today, if he's not going to do the honourable thing and resign without taking a penny of compo from the club. HE looks like a train wreck. it's going to get nasty at Villa Park soon it's already been kicking off with the fans in the away ends up and down the country and at Wembley.

The cabbages will be on their way to the stadium on saturday. en mass.

There's no way we can beat chelsea. Lampard is polar opposite. everything he touches turns to gold. every young player he brings in starts looking like viera in his pomp.

Everything smith tries something it turns to salt:

1)   tinker with the formation, get destroyed,

b)   bring back houihane, gets destroyed,

e)   let the players go off on holiday for mid season break....they come back like 11 strangers...team spirit destroyed

4) 22m striker struggling? - only took him out when he got injured...career destroyed

34) combative midfielder looking knackered? - reveal he's been playing with an injury....keeps playing him then he's breaks his ankle

z)   bring in experience keeper, - they get infected with the calamity-virus pandemic whihc is sweeping villa park.

13) everything he does is a disaster.

q) have a huddle on the pitch to give an image of togetherness - pr stunt thats gone disasterously wrong

2)slag off the players in the post match interview - how would anyone think public humiliation of an individual can be motivating?

3)slag off the players as a group in the post match interview - you've just pissed off all the people who could get you out of the shit mate

4) bring in drinkwater and say he'll be good when he gets match fit - then stop playing him

5) can't compete with the big teams so target the lower clubs? get played off the park by the so called lower clubs after they pin his quotes on the dressing room wall

6)I saw him in the tunnel waiting for the lecester players to shake their hands after the game  - why bother? to say well played? they didn't have to play that well at all.

1st goal reina bollock drop,

2nd soft pen. why didnt mings stick out a leg instead of attempting dive header?

3rd - 3 villa players on the attack couldn't retain the ball against a lecister player who was on his backside. his tenacitiy was the catalyst for the goal as they went down the other end and scored.

4th I can't remember but more than likely was a gift.

7) southampton rubbish at home - villa roll over

8)tottenham rubbish away from home - heres 3pts thanks very much

9)vardy not scored since before xmas - fill your boots son.

10) talks about being hard to beat in interviews - it's wins we need not being beat (think about what message is he sending out?)

Smith is lots wife.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Exactly they have better players than us. Therefore its silly to try use that style when our squad is relatively poor compared to theirs.

I still maintain the reina mistake is down to discipline. Smith was just sat their with a facw like thunder. He should have been going mental at points if that game.

How do we manage to get even worse than that Southampton game?

Im sure we will with the games to come break some more records  - we actually looked as team man for man relegated last night!

For people looking for a comparison of teams sticking with their manager, Burnley is a good one.

Came up with Dyche, couldn't stay in the league, were awful and got relegated but stuck with him. Bounced back in one season by winning the Championship and returned to the prem stronger and more suited for the Premier League. NOw heading into their 5th season in the league.

Obviously this doesn't mean that sticking with Smith will definitely work. I'm not silly enough to draw that conclusion. But it does show that it can happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm right behind the bloke but when he comes out with shit like "we've conceded 4 times in both games against Leicester and feel like we were in the game" and "we looked well organised defensively" I wonder why I'm backing him

Â