Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Someone pointed out to me that towards the end of last nights game Leicester picked up a few yellow cards for niggly fouls that broke up our play. Man City the same on Sunday. Those teams are light years ahead of us and yet they still have a pragmatic approach to the game. If they do it with all their talent, why don’t we? 

Leaving aside tactics, formations, recruitment etc, the biggest issue is, I believe that we are a soft touch in all areas of the pitch. Possibly even off the pitch too. We’re just too nice, is that a reflection of the manager? Possibly I’ve never met the fella, but for him and us to survive in this division, we need to find an aggressive, ruthless streak and quickly. 

Teams play a variety of styles with massively varying player quality, but the successful ones always have the same quality which is aggressive, intensity with a large dollop of stubborn belligerence. I’m afraid to say we don’t have any of that as a team. 

That's the one thing I can not, and will never accept. You can be less talented, but there is no excuse for being less determined. There's a fear and weakness throughout this squad. It wasn't there earlier in the season, so what's changed?
If you can't get a team to at least try and perform (they won't always perform well of course) then you have no business being a manager. Smith is only getting this sometimes. I don't get it.

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Disagree with what?

You said we are going down and a new manger wont change that. Wtaford did and were worse than us yet a new manager with samw players has turned it around

• Like 1

As another poster noted yesterday.

The gulf in quality of most squads, and our, in the Premier League is vast.

Just looking at who Leicester could bring off the bench yesterday, compared to us, while already battering us, was telling.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

but there is no excuse for being less determined.

exactly , We made Albrighton and Barnes look like Messi and Ronaldo yesterday by not having any aggressions and determination in our side

they hacked away at Jack like every other club does  , yet we seem to stand-off and make half-hearted challenges  .. more Marvellous tackles like the one on Aguero  and times might not just stroll through us

19 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Someone pointed out to me that towards the end of last nights game Leicester picked up a few yellow cards for niggly fouls that broke up our play. Man City the same on Sunday. Those teams are light years ahead of us and yet they still have a pragmatic approach to the game. If they do it with all their talent, why don’t we? 

Leaving aside tactics, formations, recruitment etc, the biggest issue is, I believe, that we are a soft touch in all areas of the pitch. Possibly even off the pitch too. We’re just too nice, is that a reflection of the manager? Possibly I’ve never met the fella, but for him and us to survive in this division, we need to find an aggressive, ruthless streak and quickly. 

Teams play a variety of styles with massively varying player quality, but the successful ones always have the same quality which is aggressive, intensity with a large dollop of stubborn belligerence. I’m afraid to say we don’t have any of that as a team. 

Summed up when I think at 4-0 down Luiz fouled one of their lads, and was smiling as he helped him to his feet.

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You said we are going down and a new manger wont change that. Wtaford did and were worse than us yet a new manager with samw players has turned it around

He'll have half a season to turn things around and while they have improved they are still on 2 points ahead of us with 1 more game played averaging 1.2 p.p/g during his 15 games.

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think we are far too gone at this point. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I'm the same. 

My only thought for leaning towards getting rid is the worry of how the negativity and destroyed confidence will effect the start of next season. 

We are absolutely going down. A new manager won't change that. But will a new approach and new face brighten things up enough for us to start next season much more positive. 

I've a horrible feeling that the entire club and fanbase is going to feel an utter mess by the summer. Relegation and losing Jack won't help. A new manager might just be a boost that helps us hit the ground running come August. 

Thing is a new manager COULD keep us up (but by no means a guarantee)

My worry, like I said in the new manager thread, is that the kind of manager we'd get in for that job, like Allardyce, would give us no future. 

Would we be better off going down for a season with Smith, keeping the majority of the team together, and coming back up in a much stronger position; or scraping survival under someone like Allardyce, having probably a poor season next season and sacking him that summer anyway.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

And now? 

It would be far easier for them to do it now. But that wasn't the point I was addressing.

There would have been uproar if we'd sacked Smith in the summer after how he'd performed in the job by bringing us up. It's all well and good to say with retrospect that they should have sacked him, but the vast vast majority of us (you included I expect) were more than happy to keep Smith for this season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I think we are far too gone at this point. 

Id agree DC if we had 5-6 games left and were 5+ points adrift. But incredibly despite how crap we have been if the season ended after our game in hand and we won we would stay up. So for me its not over if we pull the trigger on smith. But it has to be now.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

My worry, like I said in the new manager thread, is that the kind of manager we'd get in for that job, like Allardyce, would give us no future. 

Would we be better off going down for a season with Smith, keeping the majority of the team together, and coming back up in a much stronger position; or scraping survival under someone like Allardyce, having probably a poor season next season and sacking him that summer anyway.

I think anyone new coming in now would have to be on a temporary contract so that options would be left open until the summer.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We have no future with smith thats the sad reality. If lets say big sam keeps us up and we have to sack him a few games in next year its certainly a better option than going down with smith and sticking with him.

I certainly dont think big sam would have a poorer season than smith this year.  This season has been a disaster. 

1 minute ago, striker said:

I think anyone new coming in now would have to be on a temporary contract so that options would be left open until the summer.

It's easy to say that, but there's not many managers good enough to turn us round who would accept that arrangement

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We have no future with smith thats the sad reality. If lets say big sam keeps us up and we have to sack him a few games in next year its certainly a better option than going down with smith and sticking with him.

I disagree. 

We MIGHT have no future with Smith. But I KNOW we wouldn't have a future with Allardyce. 

If I could guarantee Smith would get us back up from the Championship in one season I'd happily choose that over sacking him for Allardyce. No question

• Like 4

If they thought that we'd have a better chance of staying up by sacking Smith and bringing in Allardyce or someone else that's what they'd do, they don't want us getting relegated after all the money they've put into the club, they want us to remain in the premier league. But the owners fully believe that Smith can keep us up this season and are in no mood to panic and sack him.

Edited by useless

If the club has found a manager that they feel has a bigger chance of keeping us up I certainly feel they should pull the trigger, Staying up at all cost must be the goal.

But I don't think they should sign any binding contract that keeps that manager here for longer than this current season. Options to extend, sure and absolutely an ginormous bonus if he keeps us up.

But no long term contract.

• Like 1

He will come out in the press conference and say we look for a response in training and we got it, the players are ready for the game and I expect a response. Sadly, he has been saying it for a couple of months now, and we aren't really getting a response. Even the games where we have taken points of late, we haven't looked very convincing. To get that sort of performance out of a team after they push City so close in the final is very worrying. 

He seems out of ideas, and he trying to regurgitate old tactics that haven't been very successful in this division.  I'm expecting another defeat Saturday, with nothing more than a whimper.

I'm not blaming Smith only the players have to take the rapt to ,but gez the team looks so badly setup,unorganized and errors after errors.Now if you cannot atleast do the above as a manager no matter what players you have well the rest is history.This rot has been going for the last 6 weeks worse now tho seeing lack of fight at times.

Edited by ozvilla28

Â