Dean Smith

Demitri_C

The club, for the first time in years, has some stability. Not perfect by any means but certainly more competent managers throughout the club vs. the previous establishment.

Things aren't going to plan but so many people here are suggesting we are already relegated.

We aren't relegated and even if that becomes a reality, DC (and the other managers of the club) are more than capable of owning it, learning from it and winning the championship next year.

I do not want another manager merry-go-round, players leaving for a fraction they should because they don't fit the new system and a huge churn in backroom staff. This doesn't help us long-term.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think we should keep Deano regardless, really, for the long term benefit of the club. If we go down, I have confidence in his ability to get us back up, hopefully with a more balanced squad, better prepared for another go. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Amazingly it’s still in our own hands. As long as that’s the case we have to try and believe. Lose on Saturday and that will probably change. What do the club do?

I want to believe we can do it, I really do but how can I when there is no fight or commitment in our performances. We should be scraping for our lives, fighting for every ball. As it stands we are going down with a whimper.

• Like 1

I honestly think purslow will stick with smith even of we go down.

I listened to a recent podcast with purslow and some of the things he said i found interesting.

He talked about how they were limited in both transfer spending and salary due to FFP, but he also talked about how some clubs get up, are relegated and come back up again before they can stabilise in the premiership, and that it was made even more difficult to stabalise in your first season now due to FFP.

To me it almost sounded like he of course would like to stay up first season, but almost expected to go back down, build again and come back up.

Maybe I read in to his words something he didn't mean, but I remember thinking at the time that he had relegation in the back of his mind, and that he had already planned for it, almost expected it, and also was planning to develop again and come back up.

Edited by MaVilla

For me the fear is that I don't know how mentally strong Smith is.

He looks utterly broken and clueless, and as soon as a manager starts to second guess himself and starts doubting what he knows and believes in it starts sipping down into the squad.

Our backroom team is very green and Terry, while once a great player is new to this and probably not one to lean on.

I don't know Smith so couldn't say, but if we crash out in the fashion we are on course to now will he be in the state of mind to just dust it off and Go Again™ next season?

• Like 1

I think Albrighton personified what a professional footballer should be. He's Villa through and  through, even attends our games when possible, yet last night, he recognised that he had a job to do and put sentiment to one side regardless of how difficult that may have been. It's that kind of character our team needs plenty of.

Smith's job isn't at risk. It should be, as we've been appalling for a while and the defensive standard has, if anything, gone backwards. But it's not. The club is banking on him doing the business at Championship as a hedge bet. I'm concerned this is a mistake. But that's why he has a 5 year deal and that's why he's going nowhere.

But if nothing else, he's more than lost me. It's clear he can't improve this side and rally it, and our failings are obvious week after week. Yet we do it again the next game. We are so, so bad at defending corners it's tragic - Leicester will be gutted they hadn't put 3 headers away in the first half last night - and it doesn't get any better. I like the man, and I see that he's had to deal with a weak squad, but ultimately it's good job to make them perform, and we aren't. It's not even just a single aspect that's poor - we concede with abandon and our attacking play is dreadful in the main. And that has to sit at the feet of the management.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sne said:

For me the fear is that I don't know how mentally strong Smith is.

He looks utterly broken and clueless, and as soon as a manager starts to second guess himself and starts doubting what he knows and believes in it starts sipping down into the squad.

Our backroom team is very green and Terry, while once a great player is new to this and probably not one to lean on.

I don't know Smith so couldn't say, but if we crash out in the fashion we are on course to now will he be in the state of mind to just dust it off and Go Again™ next season?

Yeah it is very very difficult to make a comeback once the genie is out of the bottle. 

When we get relegated I'd be very surprised if we stuck with Smith, because it is so hard for the same voice that got a team relegated to be the voice that motivates them to start winning every week. Its almost a safer option to go for a fresh voice. I can't think of too many examples of managers who have took a team down and come back up. I know Dyche did it with Burnley, and arguably Rafa at Newcastle although he came in at the end of their relegation season so didn't really get them relegated 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

I think we should keep Deano regardless, really, for the long term benefit of the club. If we go down, I have confidence in his ability to get us back up, hopefully with a more balanced squad, better prepared for another go. 

We cannot keep a clean sheet, we couldnt last year in the championship. We will not be promoted with Dean Smith in charge........in my opinion.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think Albrighton personified what a professional footballer should be. He's Villa through and  through, even attends our games when possible, yet last night, he recognised that he had a job to do and put sentiment to one side regardless of how difficult that may have been. It's that kind of character our team needs plenty of.

I am not usually an advocate for re-signing old players but if we were to get relegated (which looks ominous) then I think our first signing should be Marc. 

12 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

We cannot keep a clean sheet, we couldnt last year in the championship. We will not be promoted with Dean Smith in charge........in my opinion.

We got promoted by outscoring teams last season but to put it in context we went from shipping 1.6 goals/game under Bruce to shipping 1.2 under Smith.'

And after we signed some defenders in January so we actually could put at least 4 of them on the pitch we ended the season by shipping only 0.9/game during the last 17 games of the season.

Edited by sne

I've enjoyed the experiment of having a Villa fan as manager but I don't think DS is a PL level manager, he's done nothing this season to show he is. Not a single shock result, not a single game I can look back on and say well done Dean you worked out the opposition and set up the team to beat them and achieved it. It's actually a bit concerning that Brentford have improved since he left particularly in defense. 

However I have said earlier in this thread I think the board will stick with him when we get relegated, and I do think he's good enough to get us back up but that's his limit, we won't improve under him. 

It's not just him though player recruitment has been very poor especially the forwards, having to play one of the most creative English midfielders since Gazza on the left of a forward three is just shocking, I bet Jack despite being Villa through and through can't wait for the summer and to get the **** out of dodge! I still remember that interview pre season where Jack was asked favourite and least favourite positions and he spends all season in his least favourite!

• Like 1

There was a discussion on TS about smith at villa earlier. They said in their view one of amuths biggest mistakes was not adjusting to the premier league from the championship. Playing possession based football and out the back like how we use to dominate in the championship. 

Cant agree more we are so open its so easy to run through us. 50+ goals conceded at this stage is absolutely unforgivable in my eyes

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chindie said:

And that has to sit at the feet of the management.

I agree - but in Smith's defence the players are committing individual howlers week on week. If we look at last night

Reinas mistake is disgraceful - no manager can account for that.

The penalty - terrible defending by Mings, and a shocker from VAR

After that it becomes a bit of a joke game.

But I think Smith should take a lot of  responsibility for some areas i.e. Zonal marking, playing players when out of form (Eg Guilbert), playing players out of position (Jack)

To say all would be well if we got rid of Smith - I don''t think it would be, if I thought it would I'd sack him now.

5 hours ago, vreitti said:

That's just bollocks. They're exactly the same. Dogshit that is.

ditto.

No its not actually.... they are noticibly worse.

Just now, Stratvillan said:

I agree - but in Smith's defence the players are committing individual howlers week on week. If we look at last night

Reinas mistake is disgraceful - no manager can account for that.

The penalty - terrible defending by Mings, and a shocker from VAR

After that it becomes a bit of a joke game.

But I think Smith should take a lot of  responsibility for some areas i.e. Zonal marking, playing players when out of form (Eg Guilbert), playing players out of position (Jack)

To say all would be well if we got rid of Smith - I don''t think it would be, if I thought it would I'd sack him now.

You could say aame for engels mistake vs spurs. The grealish mistake against spurs. The howler from mings. The shit pass to luiz.

This is no coincidence. It all comesdown to the coaching and management.  We are seeing the same mistakes over and over. Smith doesnt strike me a strict manager. Looks like a softie too me and it shows on the pitch

23 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Smith's job isn't at risk. It should be, as we've been appalling for a while and the defensive standard has, if anything, gone backwards. But it's not. The club is banking on him doing the business at Championship as a hedge bet. I'm concerned this is a mistake. But that's why he has a 5 year deal and that's why he's going nowhere.

But if nothing else, he's more than lost me. It's clear he can't improve this side and rally it, and our failings are obvious week after week. Yet we do it again the next game. We are so, so bad at defending corners it's tragic - Leicester will be gutted they hadn't put 3 headers away in the first half last night - and it doesn't get any better. I like the man, and I see that he's had to deal with a weak squad, but ultimately it's good job to make them perform, and we aren't. It's not even just a single aspect that's poor - we concede with abandon and our attacking play is dreadful in the main. And that has to sit at the feet of the management.

good post Chindie......and yes it does.

I fear you are right.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You could say aame for engels mistake vs spurs. The grealish mistake against spurs. The howler from mings. The shit pass to luiz.

This is no coincidence. It all comesdown to the coaching and management.  We are seeing the same mistakes over and over. Smith doesnt strike me a strict manager. Looks like a softie too me and it shows on the pitch

I agree to a point- but if Smith makes a mistake it's Smiths fault - if a player makes a mistake it seems to be smiths fault. It isn't weak coaching when Reina, Engels etc do what they do.

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

There was a discussion on TS about smith at villa earlier. They said in their view one of amuths biggest mistakes was not adjusting to the premier league from the championship. Playing possession based football and out the back like how we use to dominate in the championship. 

Cant agree more we are so open its so easy to run through us. 50+ goals conceded at this stage is absolutely unforgivable in my eyes

Well Wolves still do it but they simply have better quality top level players. Also a far better structure to their 3-5-2 than when we attempt it.

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Its not a coincidence, its a culture, born out of BMH.

He is too affable for me....and they say a team mirrors the manager.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Â