Tammy Abraham

Villaphan04

11 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Thought he was awful in the final. Tomori had him in his pocket

He struggled in the 2 legs v WBA too. Aside from a penalty goal he didnt really get involved in the playoffs.

Having said that he scored 5 goals in the 10 games that he played v top 5 throughout the season: you'd take a 1 in 2 ratio against the better teams

23/10 Norwich - 0 (subbed off for Hogan)

10/11 Derby - 1

7/12 WBA - 0

13/12 Leeds - 1

8/2 Shef U - 1

16/2 WBA - 0

2/3 Derby - 1

Playoffs 1 goal in 3 games

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I can’t see them letting anyone go without the manager situation sorted. I suspect we will wait on Tammy but only for so long.

The problem is, we take a big risk waiting to see. A goal scorer is key to us staying up, if we miss out on other targets waiting to see what might happen with Tammy we will be in trouble. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Junxs said:

He struggled in the 2 legs v WBA too. Aside from a penalty goal he didnt really get involved in the playoffs.

Having said that he scored 5 goals in the 10 games that he played v top 5 throughout the season: you'd take a 1 in 2 ratio against the better teams

23/10 Norwich - 0 (subbed off for Hogan)

10/11 Derby - 1

7/12 WBA - 0

13/12 Leeds - 1

8/2 Shef U - 1

16/2 WBA - 0

2/3 Derby - 1

Playoffs 1 goal in 3 games

Supporters forget that Tammy was out for a few weeks before the play offs injured, and I believe him and a couple of other players were playing injured through the play offs. It's been a long season in the Championship and he played nearly every game with no rotation,  Tammy is a must signature, but we need another quality striker to rotate and freshen.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The problem is, we take a big risk waiting to see. A goal scorer is key to us staying up, if we miss out on other targets waiting to see what might happen with Tammy we will be in trouble. 

Exactly.

We need at least two quality strikers and some up and comers pushing for places from the academy. I think we can get on with signing players while we sort out the loanees we want to keep. There’s a little time to do this, but as has been pointed out the rest of the world ain’t gonna wait for us, or the players concerned,  to make our minds up. 

I’m torn on Tammy.

I rate him highly, think he is bound to play for England a load of times, and think he could become a great English striker. But, he is still raw and still has plenty of games where he goes missing.

I understand the latter is because he is young, and by paying extra for the ‘young with potential’ element within him, we’re gaining an asset that could become worth quadruple if he turns into the next Harry Kane (which isn’t completely unrealistic), however, my doubts for us signing him are based more on the fact that signing a raw, young striker for £20-£25m is a bold and potentially dangerous move for a newly promoted club.

If everything clicks and we end up storming into a 10th-12th placed finish, then we could have hit the jackpot with Tammy. However, if we end up in a relegation battle, we might regret spending such a large sum on a player that has only ever been prolific in a second tier league.

But, to flip it again, I don’t think 10 goals in a crap Swansea side is terrible. If nothing else, it shows promise for what an improved Tammy could do for us.

So yeah, I’m not sitting on the fence at all. :lol:

58 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Goals aside Tammy was priceless at defending corners too. I bet he prevented many goals bring scored against us. 

This is a great point, and one of his best attributes. I believe it is because he used to be a centre back when he first started playing football.

No striker signing we could make will guarantee us goals. You just cannot guarantee that no matter what level.  

What we do know we are getting with Tammy would be good work rate, attitude, settled, ambition, 26 league goals last season, and young and hungry. 

If he’s available then he should be our number 1 striker target. He is just as likely if not more likely to score 10-15 goals than any other striker we target. 

Edited by villan-scott
Missing word!
  • Like 4

Tammy could do a job. I’d be hesitant if he is our main striker tho, I just don’t think he will be able to slip away from defenders as easily in the premier league and get those poachers goals, and that’s pretty much his forte.

That said I think Kodjia could do a job up too alongside him with his direct running allowing Tammy to exploit the spaces when defended double up on Kodjia... then again maybe he will become the next Alan Shearer. 

If we could get Tammy for £20-£25m I think it makes complete sense.

Iheanacho went to Leicester for £25m and Tammy has way more potential and proven quality. 

It’s a risk, but if it wasn’t we’d be paying £40+m for a young English player gaurenteed prem goals.

Couple him with a proven Prem Striker that wouldn’t cost the world and has a good attitude, potentially off the bench - like a King or Wood - and we’d be in a good place I think. 

Edited by LoughboroughLion

At 21, English and with plenty of first team experience, Tammy can only be a great investment for the club. And with his continued coaching and development, the potential is there for him to get better and better. One thing for sure, his attitude is certainly not in doubt.

Very rarely are strikers at their peak at 21, and I think a lot forget Tammy's age. To be put into context, he's 5 years younger than Jesse Lingard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

We need at least two quality strikers and some up and comers pushing for places from the academy. 

Spot on imo. 

I don't think Kodjia is anywhere close to being PL quality, neither is Hogan. 

We need at least 2 with Davis as back up. In an ideal world we would have 3 and loan Davis to the championship to continue hus development. 

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

Spot on imo. 

I don't think Kodjia is anywhere close to being PL quality, neither is Hogan. 

We need at least 2 with Davis as back up. In an ideal world we would have 3 and loan Davis to the championship to continue hus development. 

Would getting Tammy and Maupay be too greedy?

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Maybe but i think its needed. We wouldn't want to be in a situation whereby we are one injury away from having to go with a youth player (Davis). 

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a couple of strikers come in. 

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

Maybe but i think its needed. We wouldn't want to be in a situation whereby we are one injury away from having to go with a youth player (Davis). 

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a couple of strikers come in. 

Kodjia? 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Kodjia? 

I can't see him being here tbh, and certainly don't think he his good enough for the PL. 

9 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

I'd say it wouldn't be good enough. 

We can afford signing one championship striker and that should be Tammy. Considering we need a second striker I think that should be someone proven at a different level, but that's me. 

I think £ 25 million is wayyy too much for Tammy, but I guess the prices has inflated a bit since I last looked around. I'd be more comfortable around £ 15 million, but it's not my money. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

I can't see him being here tbh, and certainly don't think he his good enough for the PL. 

I agree that he might not be good enough for this level but can't see him and hogan both going. Be one or the other and I'd likely think it will be hogan on loan somewhere. 

Abraham and Maupay? Now that would be impressive.

As others have said, Abraham for £25m is a no-brainer. You can't really count his last PL season as a 19-year old in a poor Swansea side as a benchmark of how he would do under Smith. He is a much better player now.

Â