Tammy Abraham

Villaphan04

Can't knock the lad whatever he chooses to do. Gave his all for us and helped us get promoted he may also feel that he's shown Chelsea what he can do and next season might be his opportunity. It might not be of course but he's young enough to take that chance. 

Likely he's full of belief and confidence after this season too so wants to prove himself to Chelsea. 

If he comes to us, great, if not, best of luck Tammy and thanks for all the passion, pride and desire you gave in helping us. 

• Like 1

I'd be worried if we spend decent money on Tammy. Did a great job for us over the season but once the intensity went up at the critical end of it all, he went missing and offered very little. That intensity will come every week next season and I think he'll struggle.

Ironically, I think Kodjia will be a better fit than Tammy as he's both physically stronger and he can make things happen individually when others around him are struggling ...... plus, given a run, he'll score goals too.

Abraham over Kodjia all day long.

People knocking the lad for being a bit off-pace toward the end of the season, I'm pretty sure he was playing through a not insignificant shoulder injury.

He's infinitely more likely to hold a ball up than Kodjia and he's infinitely more likely to score goals, as proven.

• Like 2

People saying they’re not fussed about him or claiming we can do better are just putting on a brave face for when he returns to Chelsea. 

Turning your nose up at our first 20 goal a season striker in god knows how long (who is also still just a 21 year old prospect) can only be understood in the context of the above. 

It’s all mostly opinion, of course, but I’m relaxed about whoever Dean Smith brings in. For me I’d have Maupay over Tammy. I think Maupay has that bit more ruthlessness about him and is clearly equally good at getting goals. A young lad who has come to another country and made it, you can’t underestimate the extra maturity and drive required for that. £20m for a 22yr old striker with his record? I’d snap your arm off. Absolutely wish Tammy well with his ambitions and can’t fault his time at VP. But if there’s one thing we should have learnt from previous years, it’s not to be too sentimental. Professionalism has to rule. 

29 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

People knocking the lad for being a bit off-pace toward the end of the season, I'm pretty sure he was playing through a not insignificant shoulder injury.

He's infinitely more likely to hold a ball up than Kodjia and he's infinitely more likely to score goals, as proven.

I don't think anyone is knocking him. People are just expressing some reservation about whether he'll make it in the prem. I think it's understandable even if they end up being wrong, given what he'd cost.

Put it this way. Of the good players we have on loan, Tuanzebe, Mings, El Ghazi and Abraham; I'd put Abraham bottom of the list in terms of priority to sign.
I'd be happy if we did sign him, but I won't be massively disappointed if we miss out.

38 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think anyone is knocking him. People are just expressing some reservation about whether he'll make it in the prem. I think it's understandable even if they end up being wrong, given what he'd cost.

Put it this way. Of the good players we have on loan, Tuanzebe, Mings, El Ghazi and Abraham; I'd put Abraham bottom of the list in terms of priority to sign.
I'd be happy if we did sign him, but I won't be massively disappointed if we miss out.

I wouldn't disagree but I think that speaks volumes for Mings, El Ghazi and Tuanzebe more than it defines Abraham.

I'm not saying he's the best striker in the world but he offers far more over the course of a season than Kodjia and he has far more time to develop and get better.

6 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I'm not saying he's the best striker in the world but he offers far more over the course of a season than Kodjia and he has far more time to develop and get better.

Well I don't disagree with that at all.

But I think the question is does he offer more than a different striker that would cost £25 million+ which is probably the fee we're talking about here

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Agree 100% with this. I think his shoulder injury took the edge off his game in the final few games. He injured himself scoring at Bolton, and wasn't quite the same after that.

I've loved having Tammy with us in the Championship, His goals, his presence in and around the box and his enthusiasm have all been excellent .... but he does miss a lot of very good chances.

You can get away with this in the Championship when chances come more often, but with much less generous Premier defences a striker needs a better goals to chances ratio.

Strikers like Gayle, Maupay, Pukki etc are more composed than Tammy (in my opinion) when it comes to converting chances to goals. Abraham is developing into a damn good striker but he needs to become more clinical if he's to continue his goal scoring prowess in the top league, because there will be fewer goal scoring opportunities for him.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Well I don't disagree with that at all.

But I think the question is does he offer more than a different striker that would cost £25 million+ which is probably the fee we're talking about here

Well, we've seen him up close, we've seen him score a lot of goals (at 2nd division level obvs)......is the the finished article? No. But then he's young enough to improve naturally as well as with good coaching.

We know (or at least believe) that he's a good egg generally, fitted in well with team and club culture and has connected with the fans pretty well.

I like his attributes, has a turn of pace, can hold up a ball, can win balls in the air, can dribble past and through defenders, can pass, can shoot - and I think they're largely transferable into the higher division.

For whatever cost we'd have to pay, anyone else we'd sign would be a total mystery on most if not all of the above, we've heard for years about people wilting under the pressure of playing for Villa, Abraham has handled that and handled it well.

I'd feel more secure paying £25m for a known entity, who has performed very well during their time here than an unknown - a lot of people are suggesting Maupay as he scored a lot of goals for Brentford, we used that same criteria to sign Hogan........I think every single other player (of note) who's left Brentford has gone on to struggle and it may well be down to the fact that with all due respect, playing for Brentford is probably quite 'easy', no big crowds, low expectations, little media coverage etc. Look at Jota, Woods, Mepham, Hogan - I'm not sure any have kicked on since leaving Brentford really (could be proved wrong on that).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brummybloke said:

18 million with addons for scoring x amount and us staying up and I would be very happy.

Hes part of this group of players, the loan signings this year we still had at the end are all good enough to stay in our squad.

Sign that contract tammy, you know you want to 

Thing is, if he is available for that much then half the Premier League will want him, then it'll turn into an auction and we probably wouldn't be able to compete.  I think Tammy staying is very unlikely so just have to say thanks for the goals and good luck.  He deserves a proper go at Chelsea imo.

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Thing is, if he is available for that much then half the Premier League will want him, then it'll turn into an auction and we probably wouldn't be able to compete.  I think Tammy staying is very unlikely so just have to say thanks for the goals and good luck.  He deserves a proper go at Chelsea imo.

I've said it before but I'm not sure you can underestimate the power of achievement, having been here and settled in well and achieved something quite significant - I'd say we're automatically ahead of most other clubs in the pecking order, if it became an auction type scenario

1 hour ago, Paul33 said:

I'd be worried if we spend decent money on Tammy. Did a great job for us over the season but once the intensity went up at the critical end of it all, he went missing and offered very little. That intensity will come every week next season and I think he'll struggle.

Ironically, I think Kodjia will be a better fit than Tammy as he's both physically stronger and he can make things happen individually when others around him are struggling ...... plus, given a run, he'll score goals too.

Kodija doesn't fit our style of play, doesn't press well off the ball and has lost a yard of space....the better alternative is Davis.

We need to find a pressing forward that knows where the net is to play the Dean way, problem is there's not many of those about.

Kodija just about cuts the mustard in the Championship, I've never been fully convinced by him tbh and he's absolutely nowhere near the level we need for the PL. I'm sure Smith wont be planning to but if we go into the PL with Jimmy as Tammy's replacement we may as well start the relegation thread now.

I'd love us to keep Tammy but he is unproven in the Prem and by the sounds of it doesn't want to stay here and is (rather optimistically) aiming for a top 6 club. A 20 goal a season championship striker is a different thing to a 20 goal a season PL striker. I'm not convinced Abraham will cut it against the PL's better defences if I'm honest. That's not just sour grapes over him not wanting to stay with us, it's just how I view him. 

I think we need to be looking elsewhere now. Tammy wont be here and Jimmy isn't good enough.

Thanks Tammy for your effort in helping getting us promoted. For that alone you'll always be fondly remembered by me and good luck!

Tammy is pretty much a box player.

To play for a top 6 side you need that x factor, being able to create something on your own. Tammy is not that player, never will be.

In that sense Kodjia is a much more dangerous player in the Prem, much more unpredictable to play against, very hard to prepare for.

Like has been said I am not sure I get all the criticism of Tammy. 

Yes he misses some sitters. Yes he has been a little of form at the end of the season. However, he is 21 years, having scored 26 goals this season. No one in a Villa shirt has done that in over 40 years. 

I think towards the end of the season he needed a bit of a rest but next season he will be rested and brighter. A little bit of coaching to make him more clinical, he will be a 20 goal striker in the premier league I have no doubt. He is still really young and will learn and only get better. Anything up to £25/30million I would not have a problem with. 

He needs game time and that is what he will be asking Chelsea for. If he doesn't get that, I expect him to leave there and probably end up here as we can not only offer him premier league football now but he is already part of the team. The relationship with the other players here is unbelievable. The fact that Jack lied about his injury to convince him to stay says it all. They want to play together and to be honest, that is probably more important than anything else. 

• Like 2

Â