Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

2 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

French reports saying we have exercised the clause to sign him for 9m euros. A bit more than originally suggested but I still think its good value, and would be super happy if we sign him.

A bit more than I'd previously read too, but like you say still totally worth it. Sign him up!

10 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

French reports saying we have exercised the clause to sign him for 9m euros. A bit more than originally suggested but I still think its good value, and would be super happy if we sign him.

so about £8m ... a bargain in my eyes.

• Like 2

I'm hopeful El Ghazi was demanding to come back here. His improvement under Smith was stark.

Excellent signing on loan by Bruce, but I don't think he knew how to use a player like this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I'm hopeful El Ghazi was demanding to come back here. His improvement under Smith was stark.

Excellent signing on loan by Bruce, but I don't think he knew how to use a player like this.

Well, Bruce didn't use him did he, shocking really when you look back......

12 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Did the loan deal include a payment? I'm sure I remember it being about £2m.

So maybe it's that £2m plus another £6m to take the total to £8m

€9million for Anwar? Absolutely worth it. Real potential to be top quality player. 

I wonder if he will actually do better in the prem than the championship.

Firstly he showed (After some adjustment) that he could handle the rough and tumble of the championship, the prem although much technically better, probably won't be any more tough and tumble than the championship was.

Him and Grealish were double teamed a lot in the championship due to them being 2 of our best players going forward, once we add a couple more really good players in mid field and make our right wing more potent and either wing is a real threat, he might actually get a bit more breathing room. (Ironically elmo was our biggest right side threat....From RB...).

Or maybe not.....who knows.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I wonder if he will actually do better in the prem than the championship.

Firstly he showed (After some adjustment) that he could handle the rough and tumble of the championship, the prem although much technically better, probably won't be any more tough and tumble than the championship was.

Him and Grealish were double teamed a lot in the championship due to them being 2 of our best players going forward, once we add a couple more really good players in mid field and make our right wing more potent and either wing is a real threat, he might actually get a bit more breathing room. (Ironically elmo was our biggest right side threat....From RB...).

Or maybe not.....who knows.

I can't remember if I said this here or on Twitter so apologies if I'm repeating myself, but I agree he has the right skillset to transfer to the Premier League. He has enough pace and power to cope, the rest will play up in any league. He has shades of Arnautovic.

We have watched him improve immensely, both in his mentality and his tactical awareness over the course of the season. He's not quite a 7 out of 10 every week, more a couple of 6's and then a 9. Plus he appears to be a big game player, he will love the limelight. It'll do for me. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Well, Bruce didn't use him did he, shocking really when you look back......

Not really, at the beginning of the season El Ghazi wasn’t ready for English football. Smith barely used him the first 2 months of his tenure.

He then, worked in his game, and got used to the pace of English football. He's gradually improved throughout. Yes it will be down to how Smith coaches him, but also getting used to a England.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

A bit more than I'd previously read too, but like you say still totally worth it. Sign him up!

The pound has also been consistently dropping against the Euro which makes it more expensive in real terms. With any luck our lawyers have the wherewithal to fix the exchange rate at the point in time we signed him. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Not really, at the beginning of the season El Ghazi wasn’t ready for English football. Smith barely used him the first 2 months of his tenure.

He then, worked in his game, and got used to the pace of English football. He's gradually improved throughout. Yes it will be down to how Smith coaches him, but also getting used to a England.  

This. It's pretty much the only reason not to stock your team on players from France and Holland. While they are cheap, often very good with decent resale value, they often also need a decent settling period. It obviously helps if they arrive into a settled team so they can get match fit and spend the first few months as a super sub. Throwing them straight into the mix will just crush expectations and self confidence. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spoony said:

The pound has also been consistently dropping against the Euro which makes it more expensive in real terms. With any luck our lawyers have the wherewithal to fix the exchange rate at the point in time we signed him. 

Yep, and as @wilko154 mentioned £2m of that may be the original money we paid for the loan deal.

Honestly, if it was another £8m to get him now it's worth it, anything less is a bargain really.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I can't remember if I said this here or on Twitter so apologies if I'm repeating myself, but I agree he has the right skillset to transfer to the Premier League. He has enough pace and power to cope, the rest will play up in any league. He has shades of Arnautovic.

We have watched him improve immensely, both in his mentality and his tactical awareness over the course of the season. He's not quite a 7 out of 10 every week, more a couple of 6's and then a 9. Plus he appears to be a big game player, he will love the limelight. It'll do for me. 

Couldn’t agree more.  Potentially very very exciting.

10 minutes ago, meregreen said:

If I’m honest, I would prefer Lolley and Bowen. But hey, let’s get them as well 😊

Hudson Odoi and Bowen. Anwar and Jota as back up. :)

Â