John McGinn

PompeyVillan

I'm so conflicted with the guy. At times I think he's brilliant and then other times think he wouldn't get it any top 10 side. 

I don't feel he should be a nailed on starter every week. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Yes thats the stats

As discussed already, you need to go off per 90. McGinn is first for all those because he starts every game and hardly ever (if ever?) gets taken off.

21/22

McGinn - 3,003 minutes

Douglas Luiz - 2,632 minutes (and mainly as a 6)

Ramsey - 2,395 minutes

Sanson - 352 minutes

21 hours ago, bobzy said:

He's definitely inconsistent - most non-elite footballers are...

...but I think a lot of what we see (and read about on here) is confirmation bias.  If you look for someone to misplace a pass and then you spot them doing it, there you go.  It's a confirmed thing.  But you won't be looking at, say, Jacob Ramsey do exactly the same thing because you're predisposed to thinking John McGinn needs to do better.

Same thing happens with Ollie Watkins FWIW.  Everyone says he has a bad touch, so people look out for it and comment on it in the match thread.  All the time.

(Edit:  I'm not saying they don't have these weaknesses in their game necessarily.  Just that it's "more noticed" with these players)

It's not more noticed in these players, it's more prevalent.

14 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Wtf is a “passing grade”? Is it pass completion rate? If so then call it that pff_fc. 

I was gonna say. Where's the explanation of what that means!?

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I was gonna say. Where's the explanation of what that means!?

Maybe they're American or so and that would explain it but they're also "passes completed" or "pass completion rate" aren't they?

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He can't hack it at that level - just not quite good enough to be a guaranteed starter IMO. Useful to have as a squad player.

More useful to sell and get a big wedge of cash imo. 

16 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

I love John McGinn but he was not near fit enough to last 90 minutes today, was nowhere near Gundogan for the two goals despite him being the man responsible for tracking the runs.

Steven Gerrard does not care. John McGinn must play.

• Like 1

If I hadn’t seen the lineup before the game would never have thought he had played (even though we all know he is always in the starting lineup 😣), 2nd half anonymous. Just isn’t good enough for this level

Edited by rbcuk
  • Like 1

I think he's a decent player but I'd prefer to stick with Ramsey and I like Luiz as he's a bit more defensive and composed on the ball, can pick a pass etc. If we stick with Ramsey and McGinn they are too similar, both better at running with the ball than anything else.

For an 8 and a supposed box to box, he's got 3 goals all season, doesn't offer enough IMO. If we are to become a possession based team the CM area needs a lot of work.

• Like 1

Too slow. Not every player needs pace but Christ he turns like a season and drifts through games anonymously too often. They moved around him and past him with ease.

6 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Too slow. Not every player needs pace but Christ he turns like a season and drifts through games anonymously too often. They moved around him and past him with ease.

Agreed I absolutely love this man and I’d be tempted to keep him in the side just to keep singing his song. However he gets shown up big time against this class of opposition. 

I’m sure Gerrard sees this too, no. 8 will be on shopping list for sure. 

Mentioned it in other thread but why is he never subbed off in games?

Not like he's much of a goal threat these days but he stays on whatever the scoreline. 

I can remember him being subbed off at Newcastle as it was so unusual but can't remember other games. Was same in 20/21.

Think this needs to change next season otherwise we'll have too many frustrating results. Perhaps plan is to drop Ramsey in as an 8 soon and McGinn becomes rotational player.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Mentioned it in other thread but why is he never subbed off in games?

Not like he's much of a goal threat these days but he stays on whatever the scoreline. 

I can remember him being subbed off at Newcastle as it was so unusual but can't remember other games. Was same in 20/21.

Think this needs to change next season otherwise we'll have too many frustrating results. Perhaps plan is to drop Ramsey in as an 8 soon and McGinn becomes rotational player.

come on, you know the answer to that dont you?, you do i think.....

4 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

More useful to sell and get a big wedge of cash imo. 

Does feel like it's coming to that time. We've had 3 and a bit good seasons out of him but he's reached his limit as regular starter I think now.

Don't see him going though given Sanson and Luiz are certainly going so three CMs out would leave us a bit weak in case of injuries next season.

Â