John McGinn

PompeyVillan

23 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

Opposition fans also really rate him and I think thats because when you watch him play against your team you would really rather he was on yours. His tenacity, tackling and commitment we have started to take for granted but there are few out there better than him to do it.

I love McGinn as a person, and some aspects of his game are good, but if opposition fans watched him week in week out, I'm sure they'd share the same frustrations as many of us. He's just not an intelligent player IMO, and that limits him.

I know that this is the modern game, and it's the right thing to do in the name of progress. But it doesn't feel right to move on Jack, Dean, Mings and McGinn in the space of a year.

Collectively they gave me the best couple years as a Villa fan in a long time and connected me with the club again. If I'm honest, Mings more so than Jack at first when he came in the Championship (although Jack more so by the Blues game and certainly when he kept us up). I'll feel a little bit more disconnected to lose them all. Ming's and McGinn in one window would be a hammer blow

No one is buying McGinn for £50m.

No one is buying Mings for £30m.

This is why you have to get big signings right. We aren't going to be raising huge money from anyone we want to get rid of like El Ghazi.

32 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Interesting…

Incidentally the person who runs that account is a right gonk. Great meltdown the once when Butland didn't sign and they'd been giving it the biggun it was done.

Similar to what you said before. Puts any old shit out to get some interaction and likes.

Villa report is such a blessing that they don't put any crap opinion on their feed.

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

This is why you have to get big signings right. We aren't going to be raising huge money from anyone we want to get rid of like El Ghazi.

True dat

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

True dat

Not sure we'd get £50m for McGinn (but wouldn't surprise me, in a world where Gylfi Sigurdsson is worth that) but I suspect that we could reasonably expect to get £30m for a centre half we paid over £20m for, who has since spent 3 years in the Prem and accrued 17 England caps......he's still only 29 not 32.

28 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Must have blocked that Faithful account a year ago, awful awful account. I cringe whenever I see them posted on here.

I’m starting to come round to that way of thinking tbh. The bloke lives on Twitter and tbf, is quicker than a lot of other accounts when quoting stuff but often posts nonsense. 

40 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I keep reading we will bring 50-70 million from the fringe players and its a fantasy.

Only Targett and Guilbert have had seasons worthy of making money back and we have shown we think Targett is worth nothing to us and Guilbert is in his last year and the French league have little money 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I keep reading we will bring 50-70 million from the fringe players and its a fantasy.

Only Targett and Guilbert have had seasons worthy of making money back and we have shown we think Targett is worth nothing to us and Guilbert is in his last year and the French league have little money 

Mings who's our captain and started nearly every PL game for us wouldn't fetch £25m.

Because people don't pay that for 29 year old players unless they're absolutely top drawer.

Let's hope Diego Carlos does the business...

Targett 15m

Guilbert 5m

Dougie 25m

Hause 3m

Davis 10m (if Forest promoted)

El Ghazi 2m

Traore 12m

Total 72m

Edit: Add Mings to that list and we are pushing 100m

Edited by Peter Griffin

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

Targett 15m

Guilbert 5m

Dougie 25m

Hause 3m

El Ghazi 2m

Traore 12m

Total 72m

Who is paying 12 million for Traore? Only elite teams or Premier League teams can afford that

10 million Davis, Dougie 25 million last year of his contract 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Who is paying 12 million for Traore? Only elite teams or Premier League teams can afford that

Lots of PL teams can afford Traore. Fulham, Saints, Brighton, West Ham, Palace for instance

How much do u think Dougie would go for this summer if not 25m? 

Davis is a huge part of the Forest team, the love him and he makes them click. They need players with some PL experience and that won't break the bank. They will be doing well to get anyone under 10m that would fit into their team. Also, he would be a perfect signing for them as they will be planning for what happens if/when they are relegated in 12 months. How much do you think he is worth to them?

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

As with Mings, I'd be gutted to lose McGinn. But I think if it was a straight choice between the two, I'd rather keep Mings around and sell McGinn.

They're both probably in the same situation though, they aren't showing their top form and quality regular enough. If they were consistent with what we know they can do, we wouldn't even be discussing their future.

Ideally for both we sign genuine quality around them and to compete with them and they continue being the lifeblood of the squad and morale but they become rotational players.

We're probably going to have to lose one though, will be a real shame.

These guys are playing virtually every minute of every game, every season in one of the most demanding leagues in world football.  That’s why the best teams rotate so that their players are performing optimally when on the pitch, we haven’t had that luxury yet.

If we can get strength in depth, the chances are the consistency will come as they will have more in the tank.

Personally, you don’t sell SJM!

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Targett 15m

Guilbert 5m

Dougie 25m

Hause 3m

El Ghazi 2m

Traore 12m

Total 72m

Hasn’t Hause signed a new contract and performed well when called upon? Definitely worth more than 3m! Traore going nowhere hopefully and you missed Trez and Jed off.

Just now, zab6359 said:

Hasn’t Hause signed a new contract and performed well when called upon? Definitely worth more than 3m! Traore going nowhere hopefully and you missed Trez and Jed off.

Yeah, I agree that Hause would be worth more than 3m, I was deliberately trying to low ball the numbers I put in to try and counter the inevitable response of who would pay that / they aren't worth that. And yes,. Trez and Jed may raise a few quid too. We also have Nakamba that could raise a few quid if sold, would we need Marv if we have Bissouma and Kamara?

The real point of my comment is to highlight that there is significant money that could be brought it. I expect that we have already had some interest in players and that has given Purslow the confidence to invest in these new players before offloading any

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Eh? Only an elite club can afford £12M?

Maybe 20 years ago sure.

26 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Mings who's our captain and started nearly every PL game for us wouldn't fetch £25m.

Because people don't pay that for 29 year old players unless they're absolutely top drawer.

Let's hope Diego Carlos does the business...

Age and time left on contract are huge factors in deciding prices. Reports now about Bayern buying Mane for €30m, sounds insane but he’s 30 with just one year left.

Prices drop sharply when players are around 29, doesn’t matter how fit they are or if they could potentially play until they’re 35.

Â