John McGinn

PompeyVillan

On 23/05/2022 at 00:29, WHY said:

I love SJM but another who needs replacing imo. He’s genuinely a great kid and character but isn’t consistent enough for where we want to be. Love the bloke but there isn’t any sentiment in football if you want to win! 

Not sure he needs replacing.  But he needs to be the third man in our midfield rather than the main man.  Oh and he needs to just play for 60/65 mins in a lot of matches.  I'd like to see another midfield signing alongside Kamara and JJ / SJM playing with a little bit more freedom to harry and press the opposition closer higher up the pitch and then linking up with the front 3 more.

With 5 subs next season if we are bringing on the likes of Dougie and McGinn - then we should be in a pretty good place.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, allani said:

Not sure he needs replacing.  But he needs to be the third man in our midfield rather than the main man.  Oh and he needs to just play for 60/65 mins in a lot of matches.  I'd like to see another midfield signing alongside Kamara and JJ / SJM playing with a little bit more freedom to harry and press the opposition closer higher up the pitch and then linking up with the front 3 more.

With 5 subs next season if we are bringing on the likes of Dougie and McGinn - then we should be in a pretty good place.

Replace might be the wrong word. We need other options, and should look to upgrade if someone better is available. Their needs to be competition for places.

• Like 1

Just now, duke313 said:

Replace might be the wrong word. We need other options, and should look to upgrade if someone better is available. Their needs to be competition for places.

Absolutely.  Although I think JJ and Chuk are the upgrades for the SJM "role".  In which case I am happy for the three of them to be rotating next season and / or having two of them on the pitch at certain points in certain games.

I'd like to see us bring in someone who can control the ball and work as a slightly deeper playmaker (so an upgrade of Luiz).  That would give us a lot more balance, gives us excellent depth to cope with injuries / suspension / poor form / etc and real options on the bench. 

• Like 1

On 23/05/2022 at 00:46, FLVillan said:

Got a mate who's a Leicester season ticket holder.  He said he'd have McGinn over Tielemans all day.  Says Tielemans goes missing every match, but scores the odd long range goal and all of a sudden people think he's great. 

Other players always seem better than our players as you see them in a highlights package where they always seem to be doing something good. An assist/goal etc. If you watched these guys like Tielemans for 90 mins, week in, week out, people might not think they were so great. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Just bumping this thread up to declare that I love John McGinn.

He is getting a lot of criticism in a lot of the other transfer threads with people slagging him off in comparison to some shiny new hypothetical midfield signing.

he has been so good for us. Yes he isnt perfect but I equally dont think he ever really gets played in away to get the very best out of him.

He is also getting weirdly and snidely slated for his off field characteristics - dressing up as turkey and being a general joker around camp. But that stuff is gold for team morale and especially for bedding in new players and making them feel part of a group. Opposition fans also really rate him and I think thats because when you watch him play against your team you would really rather he was on yours. His tenacity, tackling and commitment we have started to take for granted but there are few out there better than him to do it.

And that's before I mention the fact that he scored one of the greatest goals and sweetest hit volleys that I have ever seen.

So, in conclusion, once again, I love John McGinn. I hope that he is still an integral part of our team and club going forwards

Hear Hear Correct GIF - Hear Hear Correct Agree - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

He is getting a lot of criticism in a lot of the other transfer threads with people slagging him off in comparison to some shiny new hypothetical midfield signing.

he has been so good for us. Yes he isnt perfect but I equally dont think he ever really gets played in away to get the very best out of him.

He is also getting weirdly and snidely slated for his off field characteristics - dressing up as turkey and being a general joker around camp. But that stuff is gold for team morale and especially for bedding in new players and making them feel part of a group. Opposition fans also really rate him and I think thats because when you watch him play against your team you would really rather he was on yours. His tenacity, tackling and commitment we have started to take for granted but there are few out there better than him to do it.

And that's before I mention the fact that he scored one of the greatest goals and sweetest hit volleys that I have ever seen.

So, in conclusion, once again, I love John McGinn. I hope that he is still an integral part of our team and club going forwards

You don’t dump a player like SJM because he’s not perfect. As you rightly say he brings so much to the club and the squad. He’s got faults but as a member of the squad and with 5 subs next season he’s almost priceless. 

I love McGinn and he is capable of better but if he doesn’t show it more often then we need to and should upgrade on him. It’s up to him tbh. 

• Like 1

St.Mirren have a wee thread on Twitter just now where players, since the club was formed, until now are featured alongwith their honours whilst at Saints. Look whose turn it was today……

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stoobs said:

St.Mirren have a wee thread on Twitter just now where players, since the club was formed, until now are featured alongwith their honours whilst at Saints. Look whose turn it was today……

He was hounded out of St.Mirren as we couldn’t get shorts to fit him, ate too many chips in the canteen, dressed up as a Pelican from time to time and played one floaty Hollywood ball too many. Took a wee step down by going to Hibs before moving to Villa. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

People can't say "that isn't my cup of tea", or "I don't rate ABC" it must be hatred and slating.

I saw posts saying he wasn't all that in the championship ffs. He was absolutely insane in the championship. MOTM ahead of Grealish plenty of times.

I don't think he is the same player since that ankle injury v Southampton first season. He's never been a sharp off the spot since then IMO.

He'll have a place in our squad next season. Probably started more than he should last year, but that's not his fault. Could be a huge goal threat if he can make a more advanced role work.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Interesting…

I love John McGinn, he’s infectious and so likeable. His personality must be a dream to have around the club, but £50m is a helluva lot of money for quite a limited footballer.

Think I’d take that kind of offer.

• Like 1

I don’t think it’s even a conversation at £50m. If someone offers that kind of money, he’s off, and rightly so. He’s a decent player but he’s no superstar and you can buy some serious quality with that money.

He’s the kind of player that I feel will go downhill when he reaches 30/31 and struggle with the fitness side of things. I think he’s struggled to keep fit in his mid 20’s, and that will only get worse. 

We need to back ourselves in the market. Sell the players we know aren’t going to get us top 6/8 and invest that money in players we think can. I don’t think McGinn is anything other than a mid table PL player. 

• Like 4

As with Mings, I'd be gutted to lose McGinn. But I think if it was a straight choice between the two, I'd rather keep Mings around and sell McGinn.

They're both probably in the same situation though, they aren't showing their top form and quality regular enough. If they were consistent with what we know they can do, we wouldn't even be discussing their future.

Ideally for both we sign genuine quality around them and to compete with them and they continue being the lifeblood of the squad and morale but they become rotational players.

We're probably going to have to lose one though, will be a real shame.

Edited by HalfTimePost

Â