John McGinn

PompeyVillan

45 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Yeah what I am saying is that in order to have a player like McGinn (high energy, combative, has an eye for a defence splitting pass yet not amazing at possession based football) you absolutely require a high quality CDM to balance him out (i.e a Rodri who is a supreme passer). 

This is why I was so keen on Bentancur in Jan. He is exactly what we needed, a metronome who ticks things over and can play possession based football at the base of our midfield.

A player i'd like us to look at that can play DM with good passing is Florian Grillitsch, available on a free too.

He really gets the club, and very clearly cares, which is why i hold him in high regard. Really good performance yesterday; just needs to be a lot more consistent. Really hope we get that CDM we’ve needed for about 15 years, because players with the energy and desire of McGinn can then start to really flourish imo. Ive been quite critical of him these last 2 seasons, because I always expect better of him.

Just now, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

He really gets the club, and very clearly cares, which is why i hold him in high regard. Really good performance yesterday; just needs to be a lot more consistent. Really hope we get that CDM we’ve needed for about 15 years, because players with the energy and desire of McGinn can then start to really flourish imo. Ive been quite critical of him these last 2 seasons, because I always expect better of him.

Was just coming on to post, he genuinely seems gutted doesn't he?

Also notes Nick Pope being man of the match.

" Sums up our season " etc.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

McGinn is an absolute top bloke. That's one thing no-one can question.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

McGinn is an absolute top bloke. That's one thing no-one can question.

Top bloke, good player, good character for the dressing room.

Let's get rid.

• Haha 1

We will get a DM in, there's no doubt about that but I feel if we go into next season and the two other CMs are Ramsey and McGinn then it's going to be another average season at best. They are solid players but not really good enough to challenge top 7 places and I think it's difficult to play Coutinho and Buendia together with these two in the 8s.

3 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

We will get a DM in, there's no doubt about that but I feel if we go into next season and the two other CMs are Ramsey and McGinn then it's going to be another average season at best. They are solid players but not really good enough to challenge top 7 places and I think it's difficult to play Coutinho and Buendia together with these two in the 8s.

If we had a combative DM in the side, it'd free up Ramsey and McGinn a lot more which is absolutely what we need.  They're comfortably good enough to be in a side challenging for Europe.

The Coutinho/Buendia conundrum is one that will just stay.  I don't see how we play with two central attacking midfielders in the side.  (Edit:  Unless we think they could sit deeper, but that seems a waste - particularly of Buendia)

Edited by bobzy

3 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Agreed, we need a 6/8 hybrid to play as the other 8, which will allow McGinn/Ramsey to go forward with a bit more freedom

4 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Giving the ball away with aimless long balls is rubbish. When he plays well he’s up at 75% + . Which is much more beneficial to us. It’s not a difficult concept to understand. 66% completion is rubbish. He’s proven he can operate at 85%+ and create chances. Again not a hard concept to understand. Yesterday he was at 84% with 3 key passes , Dougie was at 92% with 3 key passes, Buendia was at 90% with 4 key passes. All very very very good. 

and for the record these side to side passes every McGinn fanboy seems to dislike how the eff do you think Liverscum and Man City keep the ball ?  Not every pass has to be an aimless long ball. McGinn has proven in many many games he can be high retention with high creation. 

I know his arse is big maybe you and a few other fanboys should get it out of there. 

Casually plucking a 66% out of nowhere. Show the stats.

1 minute ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Casually plucking a 66% out of nowhere. Show the stats.

It was one of the games can’t remember which 1 and it’s happened more than once.

If you don’t think he needs to be more consistent and careful with then run along I cba with you. 

5 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

It was one of the games can’t remember which 1 and it’s happened more than once.

If you don’t think he needs to be more consistent and careful with then run along I cba with you. 

Jeez i wasn't expecting that old "it definitely, definitely happened i just can't remember excuse".

On a serious note, i've never said he hasnt had poor games: he's given the ball away, looked off it etc etc.

My point is there is not ONE player in the squad who is different.

The stick mcginn gets is over the top and unjustified, to the point of being laughable.

Great player, great servant.

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

These stats are absolutely worthless, he's played loads more minutes than any other midfielder. Swap Sanson and McGinn's minutes and Sanson would be first for all of them stats as well. Per 90 is the only way to look at stats providing the sample size is decent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndyM3000 said:

These stats are absolutely worthless, he's played loads more minutes than any other midfielder. Swap Sanson and McGinn's minutes and Sanson would be first for all of them stats as well. Per 90 is the only way to look at stats providing the sample size is decent.

Aye - they should sack off that "top scorer" nonsense too and just look at goals/90.

After every match you can come on here and SJM is getting pelters from a large number of fans yet last night on Sky the put up some stats where he was first in every category. I assume it was at the club not in the league but I think is shows that a lot of fans havent got the first clue about football 😀

Just now, mykeyb said:

After every match you can come on here and SJM is getting pelters from a large number of fans yet last night on Sky the put up some stats where he was first in every category. I assume it was at the club not in the league but I think is shows that a lot of fans havent got the first clue about football 😀

However we can quite clearly all see he is far from perfect and gives the ball away too much! That much I do know...

OK granted he played well against Burnley, but it's a rarity.

Â