John McGinn

PompeyVillan

3 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

£50m isn’t enough. We seem to be getting fleeced when it comes to buying players with the prices quoted, we should return the favour. I think they have interest and I can see why but it won’t be this summer I don’t think, they’d want him to do at least one season in the prem.

Agree £50m isn't enough, but I don't think we're getting fleeced at all with the players we've bought. The market has inflated, and all our big fees have been on young players who will have good resale value.

Wait until the end of the transfer window and you'll get a clearer perspective on our spend. I expect there to be some really massive fees from the big boys, and plenty of £50m+ transfers from mid-table teams.

Edited by KentVillan

So... we bought McGinn for 2.5 million, and the BS is that Manure are willing to offer 50 million for him, and some here are saying we should take it, if its true.

Not me, no thanks. I want Villa to be the best it can, rather than being another Brentford.

• Like 1

I have to say, I dont want McGinn to go but just like we are turning heads of players at lower teams, McGinn's head could turn if Man Utd are interested in him. 

We have mega rich owners but if a players head did turn then he'd have to go (not saying McGinn has) but 50m for a player that hasnt played in the premier league before would be incredible (although very hard to replace).  Our rose tinted glasses would disagree because we love him and have seen him in action but just as we are arguing that championship players arent worth XXX amount (generally 20m) that we are looking for, we must realise that McGinn has only the same experience and played at the same level as them (although successfully).

Dont want him to go at any price and feel we have the owners to push away any offer but if any truth in it we just have to hope that McGinn's head does turn.

There was a leaked email about man united's transfer approach for the summer. The telegraph wrote about it saying. 

Solskjaer is targeting younger, hungrier players, predominantly with a more British focus, who can be developed.

Mcginn would certainly fit that. 

Everyone has their price, whether in coming or heading the other direction. SJM is a very good all action midfielder who is very important for us, but to think he’s irreplaceable just isn’t true. For all his obvious strengths, his passing game is quite limited, particularly at PL level. I doubt this story is anything more than BS, I believe that selling him would send out the wrong message and for that reason alone I don’t think NSWE would sanction it, unless other factors were involved.

Under past management set ups, my worry would be that we’d waste the incoming money, if we did cash in. However that wouldn’t be such a concern now. I do think that we’d look at the bigger picture with SJM, as he along with Jack and, if we get it done, Mings, represent more to the heartbeat of the team than just cold hard assessment of a player’s asset value. But as I say, there’s a price tipping point for everyone. 

16 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

There was a leaked email about man united's transfer approach for the summer. The telegraph wrote about it saying. 

Solskjaer is targeting younger, hungrier players, predominantly with a more British focus, who can be developed.

Mcginn would certainly fit that. 

Sounds like the press putting 2 + 2 together and coming up with something obvious they can hang a story on. 

When McGinn and Grealish link up, it’s like watching poetry in motion, 2 geniuses at work. In my opinion, they would terrorise any defence, stick an enforcer behind them (Nakamba? I have very limited knowledge of him) or someone else maybe Victor Wanyama

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

So how many bookings do we think McGinn will get this season?

15, hopefully we are already safe for the last 3 games as he'll probably be sitting out his automatic 3 match ban 

50m for McGinn. Hmmm.

Let’s pretend that’s true for a minute. Is it worth entertaining? That gets you Phillips and Benrahma. You could then spend another 30m on his replacement..

I love McGinn and wouldn’t want to see him sold but everyone has their price. 

• Like 3

How long has it taken to find a McGinn, someone with that workrate, attitude & ability? He pretty much single handedly was the turning point of our dark era of paying ridiculous money to parasites with no return. I wouldnt sell for any figure, he is exactly what we want our club to be about moving forward. 

• Like 1

Â