John McGinn

PompeyVillan

I’d be ok with selling him if we get a good enough offer. Not just based on tonight but he goes missing, he’s getting older and value will only diminish and think he can be replaced and that profit can then be reinvested as we’re gunna have to be savvy with creating money through transfer dealings due to the uefa cap. Yeah I said it. 

Not a CM. Play him as one of the wide midfielders or behind Watkins but doesn't have the ability to play that role in CM, too busy trying to battle and play the man when that job is more about positioning and passing ability.

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I’d be ok with selling him if we get a good enough offer. Not just based on tonight but he goes missing, he’s getting older and value will only diminish and think he can be replaced and that profit can then be reinvested as we’re gunna have to be savvy with creating money through transfer dealings due to the uefa cap. Yeah I said it. 

He's been absolutely unbelievable this season and his resale value can't be much. Just an absolutely ridiculous comment.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

He's been absolutely unbelievable this season and his resale value can't be much. Just an absolutely ridiculous comment.

He’s been good as have all our players but wouldn’t say he’s been unbelievable whatsoever… I’d only said sell him if we got a good enough offer. Most of the team are available for the right price and that would have to be met or exceeded - cannot see it but I’d be ok if we did. 

Edited by thabucks

2 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

Villa on the verge of Champions League qualification. 

Some Villa fans: sell our central midfield, including the captain who's been with us from the Championship.

It's like the moron a few rows behind me who screams that we should resign Bertrand traore as soon as we misplace a pass.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Poor from Ginny, they read his arse turns and stopped him doing it. 4th goal comes from stupidly trying a long ball that gets cut out. 

To be fair to him he totally owned it.

We all make mistakes.

Brilliant player and captain 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

He’s been good as have all our players but wouldn’t say he’s been unbelievable whatsoever… 

He's been one of our best players for 18 months under Emery when everyone thought he was finished as a mid-table Premier League footballer. He's been nothing short of unbelievable for a sustained period considering we all though his ceiling was exactly that. He's been so so consistently good.

• Like 1

They set up to stop our midfield playing, they didn't allow the half turns in the first half, and they cut off all the passing channels. Granted, he was poor, but I think we played into their hands a little bit with how they set up. Neither SJM or Dougie had a good game, for the same reason.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

Some Villa fans: sell our central midfield, including the captain who's been with us from the Championship.

Our so called rivals have a game to stay in the Championship this weekend. We can secure Champions League same weekend.

They were above us until that clearing in the woods hit Jack. That was 5 years ago?

McGinn is one of the reasons why that's the case. A club legend already.

Perspective.

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Like 4

This might be controversial,  but Martinez should be captain in my book leads like a leader and steps up when the team needs him. McGinn goes missing far to often when we're under the pump 

• Like 1

I agree that Emi should be Captain. He has the best winning mentality of any player we have and that alone can do wonders when the chips are down. 

McGinn has been a brilliant player for us. But I do fear, if we want to be that team challenging for things and getting Champions League every season, that we need to improve on him. I'm not saying sell him but I think we've seen him reach his level. 

Meh I thought Ginny did OK last night. For about 50 mins he was shielding the ball well and starting off most of our attacks. Olympiacos did well in preventing our passing routes and a bit of a lack of movement from our front 4 didn't help.

Yeah he did go missing in the last 25 mins but to be fair so did everyone else.

SJM did make several mistakes last night, but he wasn’t the reason we lost. They were full of energy whereas we looked like we had run out of steam, especially SJM. 

2 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Dougie & him don’t work as a midfield pair.

Said as much last night. For whatever reason, it just doesn't work. They both pair well with the other options, just not eachother.

This goes back to Dean Smith's first season in the Prem and hasn't really changed.

• Like 1

Come on John… we need Suoer John McGinn for these last few games…

Been utterly immense under Unai and a huge part of our progress and a big factor in where we are and what we are trying to achieve…

Don’t turn on the players who have taken us all this way and put in so many monster performances…

Time for us fans to show the kind of loyalty we demand from the players… and appreciation… anyone can show support when things are rosy, true fans are those who stick with it and be supportive in the difficult moments too… have some perspective.

let’s not be fickle, arrogant and entitled which seems to be the trend these days…

show some class, like our manager and players

UTV 💜💙

John and Doug have had to play many games this season. There are both play in their secondary positions. So I don't believe we should be too harsh on them. 

Doug needs to be the more adventurous of the 2 6's, but with Mcginn he can't be that. 

McGinn on his game makes us tick. He isn't quite top draw. He and Gallagher are similar types of players, but everytime we play Chelsea, Gallagher outshines him. They played in the same position last Saturday and Gallagher  bossed the game. 

Posted (edited)
On 02/05/2024 at 23:26, Troglodyte said:

Staggering! McGinn has played brilliantly in loads of games this season, then he has an off night playing out of position, when Luiz and lots of others were also poor and suddenly he is crap. Mind boggling.

Edited by MikeMcKenna

Â