Ørjan Nyland

Jareth

I wouldn’t give up on him just yet, he has moments when he looks top class, others not so. Bruce obviously liked what he saw when he scouted him, Nyland is new to the country, he was poor today, make no mistake about that, just glad that it didn’t cost us

28 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Dramatic?

Yep, when a player grabs the front of your shirt in the box as a keeper, you either knock him over or make damned sure the whole world sees it. If he'd flung out an arm and taken a big swipe at Che Adams, that goal would have been disallowed, even running screaming after the referee afterward would be something, just falling over and sitting there like a pilchard isn't going to either stop the goal or get it disallowed. If he's not capable of dominating his box, I'd like him to have made sure the obvious foul was obvious.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I wouldn’t give up on him just yet

Sorry I think I have. Just doesn't look anywhere near the level required and I have seen nothing that shows he might improve. I'm a bag of nerves anytime the ball goes near him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yep, when a player grabs the front of your shirt in the box as a keeper, you either knock him over or make damned sure the whole world sees it. If he'd flung out an arm and taken a big swipe at Che Adams, that goal would have been disallowed, even running screaming after the referee afterward would be something, just falling over and sitting there like a pilchard isn't going to either stop the goal or get it disallowed. If he's not capable of dominating his box, I'd like him to have made sure the obvious foul was obvious.

Ah okay, with you now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Saying the goals were his fault is far too easy on whelan and hourihane

hes not great but not as bad as people are making out either

People making an excuse on here for Nyland for the first goal saying he was imeaded. The foul on Whelan was far more obvious and made it practically impossible get to the back post in time following it . 

Edited by limvillian

Just now, limvillian said:

People making an excuse on here for Nyland on here for the first goal saying he was imeaded. The foul on Whelan was far more obvious a d made it practically impossible get to the back post in time following . 

My problem with the one of on whelan is you knew they were doing it, it's an obvious tactic to set up the blocker and run round him, England did it at every set piece in the summer, blues had already done it before the goal, no learning from it (whelan or the coaches) 2nd half we switched it up

you out a blocker on the keeper and a blocker on the marker, it's not a "mistake" it's shit defending and being out thought

• Like 1

1 hour ago, holteend1982 said:

I didn't think he was too bad today, that first goal was because of shocking marking, don't see why nyland getting all the blame for it. Currently I'd still replace him in January but if he keeps on improving we may be alright. 

The cross went inside his 6 yard box - food and drink for most keepers - has to be much stronger and assertive than that 

I cannot even stand to watch free kicks or corners anymore because I know it's going to be a calamity more often than not.

Johnson wasn't the best, but by hook or by crook we got away with it somehow. We just look all over the shop.

Physicality isn't everything, but in this league, for a goalkeeper it is.

He has to command his box better it is as simple as that. On the two or three occasions today when he actually came to claim the ball today from crosses he did it well so why he doesn't do it more often I don't know. 

At 28 it is highly unlikely coaching is going to make any great improvement so we'd better hope he has it in him to consistently command his area better. If not we will have no choice but to look elsewhere.

Â