Ørjan Nyland

Jareth

Again people are jumping to conclusions about a guy who's had a Steve Bruce (tm) defense infront of him at the start of a season and blame him when his CB's and WB's completely miss the spaces they leave on the sides. He gathered the ball well in the second, however he needs to work on either staying on the line or committing. To call him the worst keeper we've ever seen at VP is as much of a hyperbole as calling Carew crap after 10 mins in his first game. Anyone remember Enckelman? Guzan's first few seasons?

Get off the guy's back and let him settle - you're comparing a second rate keeper from Burnley to a full fledged international keeper. Burnley play with 11 men behind the ball and massive CB's, we're offensively minded which means that we'll concede more chances and goals.

• Like 2

Agree with above post. Needs additional time to settle but like many others would prefer him to start commanding his area more and being more vocal with his back four.

It’s part of the job for a keeper to organise the defence as he can see everything in front of him and to give his defenders a rollicking if they’re not listening.

Nyland is too nice at the moment but the confidence to bollock senior players will come with more experience.

Edited by striker

On the one hand, I think he’s dreadful.

But up until a few games ago I thought that on the other hand as well.

Now ? I’m not as sure. His distribution is good, his shot stopping is ok. His lack of command, presence, and control, of his area, particularly from crosses..........am I imagining it or is it improving ?

I will continue to think he’s dreadful, on the one hand.

But on the other hand, I now  think it’s possible - and I’d put it no stronger - he might not be.

PS.....I always watch all the warm ups. His demeanour has been noticeably better recently. I’m not saying it means anything, but there you are.

Reminds me so much of Guzan when Guzan finally got his chance. Guzan was a good shot stopper, but terrible at commanding his area. Seemingly overnight, Guzan started being far more aggressive in his box, and had that insane season for us. 

Then he made some mistakes, and his confidence when to shit, and the rest is history.

I think Nyland lacks confidence, and once he finds it, he will hopefully do better. 

7 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Get off the guy's back and let him settle - you're comparing a second rate keeper from Burnley to a full fledged international keeper. Burnley play with 11 men behind the ball and massive CB's, we're offensively minded which means that we'll concede more chances and goals.

I agreed with most of your comments but Heaton is a lot better keeper than Nyland will be and the only reason he lost his place at Burnley was an injury and Pope was brilliant when he took over

his last 2 seasons in this division he won promotion and he got in Team of the Year

8 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Again people are jumping to conclusions about a guy who's had a Steve Bruce (tm) defense infront of him at the start of a season and blame him when his CB's and WB's completely miss the spaces they leave on the sides. He gathered the ball well in the second, however he needs to work on either staying on the line or committing. To call him the worst keeper we've ever seen at VP is as much of a hyperbole as calling Carew crap after 10 mins in his first game. Anyone remember Enckelman? Guzan's first few seasons?

I don’t think the club can afford to let him improve and get used to the league.  Replacement in January is a must and I’d be amazed if Nyland is still our number 1 come February.

Also are you really comparing the fact he has 27 caps in 5 years for Norway with 73 Premier league Appearances and 3 caps for England?

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I have a feeling he will bottle it tonight

Forest won’t be anywhere near as physical as Blues. He will cope just fine. He will need to keep his concentration levels high, as I imagine Forest will try and sit back and counter us. 

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I have a feeling he will bottle it tonight

A little unfair I think. Like many have said his shot stopping and distribution is really good. He just seems to lack confidence and aggression, which unfortunately you can’t teach. But we can build his confidence, so let’s get behind him and even when like all keepers he makes an inevitable mistake

Edited by Hobbit Feet

9 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

A little unfair I think. Like many have said his shot stopping and distribution is really good. He just seems confidence and aggression, which unfortunately you can’t teach. But we can build his confidence, so let’s get behind him and even when like all keepers he makes an inevitable mistake

The difference is decent keepers don't do a mistake every other game

Â