Ørjan Nyland

Jareth

12 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Fair enough. Do you care to back that up? We have become a joke of a club who make our minds up at the drop of a hat! Look where that has got us? Yep.........nowhere!

Generally we have the best fans in the world but we really, myself included, let ourselves down in certain areas. We need to pull together to try and change our fortunes. I have played football at a reasonably high level. I am a goal keeper. In my view, this kid is worth supporting. 

I’ve no doubt he is better than he is. He has to be or else he wouldn’t be a professional keeper. 

But I don’t think he is anywhere near good enough for this league and definitely not for a team that has aspirations of promotion. 

He just way too lightweight.  There’s no presence whatsoever and this league demands it at the back. 

We should always get behind and support any player that puts on the shirt. But I think he needs to be the first player replaced in January. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

However, if you look at it from Smith's point of view in the 4 games he has been in charge Nyland has kept 2 clean sheets and let in 3 goals. Of those 3 goals IMO only one of them (the pathetic flapping vs Norwich) was really Nyland's fault.

Chester saved his butt yesterday.

Another example showing his poor positioning attribute.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I've seen him plenty at both club and national level in Norway, and while I've never found him good (even for Norwegian standards), I've never seen him as bad as he is with Villa. Must be an underlying issue here. 

I think it’s the case of a good shot stopper being way out of his depth. This league needs and demands so much more from a keeper. I’d argue in some respects this league is harder for keepers than the top flight. So many crosses are whipped in from all angles. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think it’s the case of a good shot stopper being way out of his depth. This league needs and demands so much more from a keeper. I’d argue in some respects this league is harder for keepers than the top flight. So many crosses are whipped in from all angles. 

Because the Norwegian league is known for Tiki taka ?

• Haha 1

Dunno, there's something likeable about him. Ability wise he's looking very suspect and he's hardly a kid even by GK standards. 

Really not sure. I want to him to succeed for some reason. Maybe it's the Scandinavian thing which we've usually done so well. 

Could be the Staropramen of course. 

On 03/11/2018 at 07:50, Zatman said:

Waiting for the Bacuna fan to post how great Nyland is ;)

I could have told you Nyland was going to be a poor signing on the day we signed him.

As for Bacuna, 3 goals (2 of which were match winners) and 2 assists for him now from his first 10 games playing predominately as a CDM for 22nd placed Reading. 

You could almost say he's single-handedly keeping Clement in a job there and has plenty of motivation to do so with Steve Bruce waiting to take over.

Reading when Bacuna plays 90 mins - 4 wins, 1 draw, 4 losses.

Reading when Bacuna plays less than 90 mins or doesn't play at all - 0 wins, 2 draws, 5 losses. 

Edited by Michael118

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

I could have told you Nyland was going to be a poor signing on the day we signed him.

As for Bacuna, 3 goals (2 of which were match winners) and 2 assists for him now from his first 10 games playing predominately as a CDM for 22nd placed Reading. 

You could almost say he's single-handedly keeping Clement in a job there and has plenty of motivation to do so with Steve Bruce waiting to take over.

Reading when Bacuna plays less than 90 mins or doesn't play at all - 0 wins, 2 draws, 5 losses. 

Not a popular view on her but I've always thought that Bacuna is better than Thor.  Another Brucie master stroke.

• Like 1

I thing the biggest problem with Nyland isn't just the obvious clangers, dropping the ball - giving away a corner unnecessarily etc. - i.e. the things he IS DOING wrong but also the things he is NOT DOING right. Most fundamental is the fact that he seems to be rooted to his line. Peter Shilton used to say that goalkeeping is primarily about positioning. With the right positioning you can stop a goal without making a save. Nyland should be coming off his line to collect certain through balls and crosses before they are even chances. Not doing so puts the defence under pressure. Smith wants to play a high line, to do that the defenders need to be confident that the keeper is alert and is covering some of the space behind them. Nyland isn't doing that which creates uncertainty in the defenders' minds. As Smith said he expects all goalkeepers to be good shot stoppers and Nyland does pull off some good saves but his basic positioning and movement is awful at the moment. It suggests a professional who is not at all confident in his own ability to play at this level. Hopefully a new goalkeeping coach can help but it isn't looking promising!

The other two keepers Bunn and Moreira are also clearly not up to scratch - possibly worse. Steer isn't brilliant but he is better than the others. I have no idea why Bruce got rid of him and Elphick on loan before the start of the season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

If I cared it would be useful to see the bigger picture with these statistics. As in, who were they playing in these games? What about other injuries in the team?

Bacuna is awful. And old news.

Dean Smith is already trying to remedy our goal keeping situation by appointing Neil Cutler as goal keeping coach. 

let's see how Nyland does under a bit of coaching, with fresh ideas and in time with how the manager wants the team to play. 

Nyland hasn't had the most auspicious start to his Villa career but I wouldn't write him off either. 

hopefully a few more clean sheets will get him believing in himself a little more. 

• Like 1

It is easy, far too easy to prematurely judge a goal keeper especially when they are playing behind a defence with issues I fell into the trap with Sam Johnson. Sometimes they take a while as happened with De Gea but not every keeper given time will progress like he has just as not every manager given more time will turn it around like Fergie.

Right now I find it hard to see this lad improving sufficiently and quickly enough to be the number 1 we need. I’d imagine he only has a handful of games to prove himself or we will be looking again for a keeper.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Dean Smith is already trying to remedy our goal keeping situation by appointing Neil Cutler as goal keeping coach. 

let's see how Nyland does under a bit of coaching, with fresh ideas and in time with how the manager wants the team to play. 

Nyland hasn't had the most auspicious start to his Villa career but I wouldn't write him off either. 

hopefully a few more clean sheets will get him believing in himself a little more. 

Is the new tactic for him to catch the ball and not drop it?

I hope they move on to coming off his line and making his presence felt (and not being easily out-muscled) next.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

It is easy, far too easy to prematurely judge a goal keeper especially when they are playing behind a defence with issues I fell into the trap with Sam Johnson. 

The difference here is that when Johnstone was struggling there were well placed rumours that he was great in training. There are no such rumours about Nyland and thinly veiled comments from the manager that he expects better all which leads me to believe he's not up to it. 

Edited by villa89

Â