Ørjan Nyland

Jareth

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

I cannot even stand to watch free kicks or corners anymore because I know it's going to be a calamity more often than not.

Johnson wasn't the best, but by hook or by crook we got away with it somehow. We just look all over the shop.

Physicality isn't everything, but in this league, for a goalkeeper it is.

Can’t be good for the defence eirher knowing their keeper is dodgy on crosses - boro will target him without doubt .

Fortunately we have the firepower to score more than we concede . 

Nyland was a lot better yesterday, second half he commanded the box well and came off his line for crosses to take the pressure off.

By no means should we be writing him off just yet.

The defence were the problem yesterday, giving the ball away at times. Chester didn't look 100% fit though so this should improve Wednesday/Saturday.

Bit unfair to blame him for the first goal, it was a point blank shot after some poor defending.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Nyland was a lot better yesterday, second half he commanded the box well and came off his line for crosses to take the pressure off.

By no means should we be writing him off just yet.

The defence were the problem yesterday, giving the ball away at times. Chester didn't look 100% fit though so this should improve Wednesday/Saturday.

Bit unfair to blame him for the first goal, it was a point blank shot after some poor defending.

It was more the way he fell. Has to be stronger than that. 

Im ok with him in goal until January and then as a number 2. Signing Heaton excites me. 

• Like 1

I thought he was poor first half. Never left his line, not commanding at all.

Second half he seemed to grow into it and was better.

it's a position we should be looking to strengthen in January though for sure.

52 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I thought he was poor first half. Never left his line, not commanding at all.

Second half he seemed to grow into it and was better.

it's a position we should be looking to strengthen in January though for sure.

Agreed, he's a total liability. Goalkeeper is too much of an important position to have to 'grow' into matches. In all my years watching Villa I've never, ever seen a keeper directly cost us so many goals in the space of 3 months. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The thing is I'm always nervous watching games because of this guy and that is not a feeling i had when we had Johnstone.

I think this is slightly revisionist .... he was nervous and looked shaky in many games but grew in confidence given time... think the jury is still out in Nyland as it’s too early to judge definitively....His reactions saves at times are world class .... commanding of the box not so ... I’m  hopeful working with Cutler over the next weeks helps eradicate some of his flaws .... and if budget allows cancelling moirea’s loan and replacing it with Heaton is a sort of a no brainier , but we must not forget Heaton has been out for a long time now and will need games to get up to speed... 

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Agreed, he's a total liability. Goalkeeper is too much of an important position to have to 'grow' into matches. In all my years watching Villa I've never, ever seen a keeper directly cost us so many goals in the space of 3 months. 

Another agree I'm afraid, you know when the crowd are giving you big cheers for catching a cross there is something seriously wrong. 

He's a tremendous shot stopper and I could see him being a very good keeper in another league but in England and the Championship set pieces and defending from crosses are too important. He's so so weak in this area and it will without a doubt cost us in the future. 

Finding a new No1 would be my biggest priority in Jan by some distance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

The thing is I'm always nervous watching games because of this guy and that is not a feeling i had when we had Johnstone.

You've obviously blocked out the first couple months or so of his season here then.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

He needs bulking up, he's got the physique of Rodney Trotter. 

There's a good keeper in there somewhere. Took some decent catches late on, which should help his confidence a bit. 

We write people off too quick. I still think he could come good. 

• Like 1

Â