Ørjan Nyland

Jareth

11 minutes ago, villa89 said:

The difference here is that when Johnstone was struggling there were well placed rumours that he was great in training. There are no such rumours about Nyland and thinly veiled comments from the manager that he expects better all which leads me to believe he's not up to it. 

True, I was one of the ones passing those on despite my own view.

4 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Dean Smith is already trying to remedy our goal keeping situation by appointing Neil Cutler as goal keeping coach. 

let's see how Nyland does under a bit of coaching, with fresh ideas and in time with how the manager wants the team to play. 

Nyland hasn't had the most auspicious start to his Villa career but I wouldn't write him off either. 

hopefully a few more clean sheets will get him believing in himself a little more. 

It would be lovely to think that Cutler can have a real positive influence on Nyland and our other keepers but I am not sure he can make enough of a difference to improve on what seem to be ingrained deficiencies.

He just doesn't seem confident in commanding his area. Even balls into the 6 yard box he is hesitant in coming for and has no confidence in that side of his game. That has been the case since his first game and has now been compounded by a number of errors.

My worry is that teams are clearly going to target him on corners and free kicks and he is going to be found wanting and I don't know if at 28 a coach can improve him but I have my doubts.

On a positive he seems to be a good shot stopper but so far the negatives in his game far out weigh the positives.

• Like 2

This guy's age his against him and the only thing that anyone can seem to defend him with is the fact he's a good shot stopper. Let's all hope we go through all our games without conceding corners, free kicks or allowing any crosses into the box - he might not concede then! 

Seriously, he's flapping at very bad crosses, what chance does he have against good crosses? That's basic keeping, surely? Nobody can teach him to leave that one - he should have known to have left that cross. A 10 year old would know to leave that cross! 

A new keeper is needed as number 1 because Bunn was deemed only coaching material pre-season so having him as back-up says bad things about Moreira going in ahead of Nyland. Bring back Steer as number 2, Nyland goes to number 3, Moreira goes home if not good enough and Bunn is retired off. 

20 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

For the life of me I do not see why De Gea's name keeps coming up in this thread. It was generally considered at the time of his signing that he was among the best young keepers in the world, he had a bit of a stinker in his first season but still showed talent. He has now matured and is still younger than Nyland. I'm not sure what the comparison is?

Anyway, Nyland has been garbage, costing us several points already, he can't be trusted and I can see a blundering performance against Birmingham and that will be the nail in the coffin for him. Has to be replace in Jan. 

They're both skinny?

He's cost us points but there have also been a couple of occasions where he has saved us points. On balance I would guess that score is about even. However my biggest issue with him is the fact that he's too passive. It's not really the mistakes although they can also be frustrating. It's the fact that he is not doing anything is the biggest problem. If a keeper makes a decision to come for a ball and makes a cock up then fine, as long as it's not a regular occurence however, Nyland is constantly putting pressure on the defence by with his passiveness, not attempting to come for anything and leaving them to deal with everything. I know you don't want De Gea mentioned again so I'll just bring up another world class keeper?, Neuer, at least in the past, afforded the teams he was playing in a lot of comfort with the fact that he would charge out and sweep away balls behind. However, when he made a cock up it had the potential to be monumetal because he could be way out of his goal but he has a presence. I don't think Nyland will provide a similar presence unless he makes a massive departure from his current style. 

Unfortunately the logical option would have been to get in an experience goalkeeper who has played Premiership/Championship football for a number of years. In the same way that Wolves took Ruddy for their promotion season.

At 28 Nyland is not going to improve as drastically as he needs to. Cutler can hopefully improve the way he takes crosses and free kicks, but this position needs looking at in January and I'm sure it's near the top of the list for Smith.

3 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

They're both skinny?

He's cost us points but there have also been a couple of occasions where he has saved us points. On balance I would guess that score is about even. However my biggest issue with him is the fact that he's too passive. It's not really the mistakes although they can also be frustrating. It's the fact that he is not doing anything is the biggest problem. If a keeper makes a decision to come for a ball and makes a cock up then fine, as long as it's not a regular occurence however, Nyland is constantly putting pressure on the defence by with his passiveness, not attempting to come for anything and leaving them to deal with everything. I know you don't want De Gea mentioned again so I'll just bring up another world class keeper?, Neuer, at least in the past, afforded the teams he was playing in a lot of comfort with the fact that he would charge out and sweep away balls behind. However, when he made a cock up it had the potential to be monumetal because he could be way out of his goal but he has a presence. I don't think Nyland will provide a similar presence unless he makes a massive departure from his current style. 

This is wrong and I don't mean this in a bad way but have you watched full games often this season? If you have then you'd see that he's a calamity whenever the ball goes into the box and that he has no command of his area, these are chronic issues that will get exploited time and time again. He's a walking liability. And again, you can bring up De Gea, Neuer, Buffon and who ever else that is world class and the learning in relation to Nyland is zero, totally pointless.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Would've thought Gollini was a more suitable comparison to De Gea, but people hounded him out as well. 

Gollini threw a tantrum about a goalie coach and wanted to leave

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Gollini threw a tantrum about a goalie coach and wanted to leave

That's fair enough, and I'm not defending him. I'm just saying I remember people hating on Gollini for other stuff in regards to his ability. 

People just don't have patience in this game anymore, especially young people I guess. 

On 04/11/2018 at 09:36, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’s 6.3 but looks a lot smaller when he tries to come and punch. He is very lightweight. 

Not good enough but he can be better than he has been. So hopefully with some coaching he can see us in to January. 

Fully agree that he looks smaller. Not sure he is too lightweight though, compare him to De Gea for example. The problem for me is that he is too cautious and careful, too nice perhaps. Allthough I in general don't like nasty players, in his case I'd like to see him shout and bark more and make it hurt for opponents who try to win the ball when he comes out for the ball in his area. Something like that to gain respect and build up some confidence. He still looks scared on the pitch.

His shot stopping looks good and I think he is good with his feet, just learn to get the crosses and I think he can be ok.

Edited by Keener window-cleaner

9 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This is wrong and I don't mean this in a bad way but have you watched full games often this season? If you have then you'd see that he's a calamity whenever the ball goes into the box and that he has no command of his area, these are chronic issues that will get exploited time and time again. He's a walking liability. And again, you can bring up De Gea, Neuer, Buffon and who ever else that is world class and the learning in relation to Nyland is zero, totally pointless.

I said I guess. I've watched a good few of the games (full games) and I've seen him be a calamity but I've also see him do well on rare occasions during a game (Swansea for example). The amount of errors greatly outweighs the amount of times that he has saved us however most of his errors have gone unpunished - luckily for us. However I realise that this situation and fwiw I agree with you that he's not good enough. My main point was that he does nothing and therefore probably makes as many mistakes as a young up and coming goalkeeper (not neccessarily world class) who is trying to prove himself to be a commanding presence. 

On 04/11/2018 at 10:12, Dr_Pangloss said:

For the life of me I do not see why De Gea's name keeps coming up in this thread. It was generally considered at the time of his signing that he was among the best young keepers in the world, he had a bit of a stinker in his first season but still showed talent. He has now matured and is still younger than Nyland. I'm not sure what the comparison is?

Anyway, Nyland has been garbage, costing us several points already, he can't be trusted and I can see a blundering performance against Birmingham and that will be the nail in the coffin for him. Has to be replace in Jan. 

Yep, annoys the hell out of me. It was the same in the Moreira thread.

Anytime a keeper doesn't start well it's "well De gea didn't start well either"

Great. That doesn't mean that every keeper who starts poorly will end up being amazing. It just means that out of all the dozens and dozens of keepers that start poorly, one of them turned it around and found his rightful form again.

At the very most you can say that it doesn't mean a keeper who started poorly CAN'T come good. but the odds are still slim.

• Like 1

I certainly think one should be patient and expect a bedding in period with new keepers.

Especially young ones moving to a new team, league and country. If there also is a language barrier to overcome when communicating with the defense it will take even longer.

Most of this doesn't apply to Nyland thou so he really needs to do better fast, or be replaced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Anytime a keeper doesn't start well it's "well De gea didn't start well either"

It's the new 'Well, it's a good job they didn't sack Fergie isn't it!!!!"

• Like 2

Â