18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

Yeah, if WBA go into bad form that would be great for us if we finish 5th.

Having said that their next game is Bristol City, maybe after that then..

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

Yeah, if WBA go into bad form that would be great for us if we finish 5th.

Having said that their next game is Bristol City, maybe after that then..

Also it would be good for us if we can get the gap down to 2 points before the last game of the season to make them think twice about resting players (should we finish where we are now)

If's and But's

As requested I have added in West Brom

Bristol City to draw to West Brom

Sheff W to draw to N Forest

Derby to beat Blackburn

Preston to lose to Leeds 

Boro to beat Bolton

Hull to beat Wigan

Villa to beat Rotherham

4 - West Brom - 71 points

5 - Villa - 66 points

6 - Bristol - 63 points

7 - Derby - 63 points

8 - Boro - 61 point

9 - Hull - 60 Points

10 - N Forest - 58 points

11 - Preston - 57 points

Games in hand - Derby x 1 & Bristol x 1

41 minutes ago, Nigel said:

4th has to be the aim now!

Yep.  Also with FFP to think about, don’t we receive extra money for a higher placed finish?  Bet EFL pay roughly 25p per place!  :hooray:

Certainly in our own hands with the fixtures this month. 3 of our 4 games against teams in the bottom 5 and the other against a play-off position rival who have a game in hand.

Couldn't really ask for a better opportunity, Beat Bristol City & it nullifies their game in hand but i guess both Rotherham & Millwall still have a bit of a fight to try and stay up so may be a little tougher than facing them a few weeks ago when they had more games left.

4 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

don’t we receive extra money for a higher placed finish?

I don't think they do.  I think every team in the Championship gets a basic award of £2.084m from the EFL and a *'solidarity payment' from the Premier League of roughly £4.3m, regardless of finishing position.  The only proper reward is getting promoted.

Here's something on the solidarity payment.  *Something we don't get, as we're still getting parachute payments.

Clubs within the EFL who are not eligible for Parachute Payments receive Solidarity Payments. These are calculated as a percentage of the third year Parachute Payment amount a club relegated from the Premier League would receive (currently 20% of the equally shared element of Premier League broadcasting rights). This percentage drops progressively for each EFL league – 30% in the EFL Championship, 4.5% in EFL League One, and 3% in EFL League Two.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's looks like we're going to have full support between now and the end of the season.

• Rotherham (A) has sold out.
  • Bristol City (H) has sold out.
  • Bolton (A) will most likely sell out.
  • Millwall (H) has about 5,600 left.
  • Leeds (A) will sell out.
  • Norwich (H) has about 6,500 and hasn't gone on general sale yet.

The support this season, and particularly since Dean Smith took over has been brilliant.

Bolton has now sold out, but only an allocation of 2,400.  With my postcode I went to buy a ticket in the West stand, but the South stand is completely unavailable to purchase, do you think the club will ask for an extra allocation?  With their financial problems I would have thought Bolton would have liked the additional revenue.

8 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

You're probably right but I also feel that West Brom might stumble through to the playoffs and we will be on similar points come the end of the season despite the current gap. 

Since finishing anywhere in the playoffs is better than 7th or worse, the basic order needs to be:

Main Hope - that Bristol City lose games

Second Hope - that Derby lose games

Third Hope - that Albion lose games

And every other result shouldn't matter if we hold our end up. So hoping Bristol City lose trumps any other possibility. 

On 06/04/2019 at 20:27, Nigel said:

If Boro are still in it so are the 4 teams below, only 1 point behind them (all with better goal difference).

I wouldnt be counting anyone out yet!

so many twists and turns left

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

No other Results matter if we hold our end up 🙂

the last time I held my "end up "...the Missus slapped my face😀.....and said get back to VT.

Looking back at our teams in the previous Leeds, recent Albion and Sheffield Utd games, we are a completely different beast now. 

Mings was not here or new in and partnered with Elphick, and Hutton with his awful positioning was also in. Our defence is so so much more solid now, from looking like we might concede from every attack to the keeper spending most of the games just twiddling his thumbs. 

Going forwards we had no Jack Grealish. His effect on our forward play is staggering. He creates so much space for others, his play is always forwards and positive. If he has a good game he is completely imperious and unplayable. If he has a poor game he is merely a very very good midfielder who will still pick out key passes and breeze past players and pick up plenty if free kicks. 

And of course the management team have had 2 - 3 months coaching the players into the style and what is expected of them. 

Finally we have momentum and confidence which is priceless and probably affects the results of games more than any coaching or individual player can. 

I am confident that this team now would be capable of beating any team in the play offs over one or two legs, and the difference now is that I am starting to actually trust that they will play to their capabilities, unlike for example last years team. 

We are a different prospect now to when we played those key teams earlier this year. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

We have won 6 consecutive matches and only league leaders Norwich are on a better run of form.

We currently occupy a playoff position, which is where we want to be. It gives us an advantage on teams that need to make up ground to qualify.

However we are far from guaranteed a playoff place. There are still 6 games remaining for us, or 18 points. 12 teams are still in promotion contention I think.

If our rise and current position is an instance where a team defies the odds and finds success, Middlesbrough is an instance of how quickly it can fall apart and come undone.

Only Bolton who have scored the least goals and lost the most matches in the competition strikes me as a fixture that we are likely to be in command of.

Rotherham and Milwall are fighting to survive in this league and while both are relegation candidates, they have everything to play for. Not to be slept on.

Leeds, Norwich and Bristol all pose a challenge and threat that we can be certain will require our best efforts throughout the entirety of each match.

Confidence and momentum do not result from achieving outcomes that we wish for. Outcomes are just a snapshot of a moment extracted for the purpose of perspective.

Confidence and momentum manifest from the flow of experience that is present throughout the entire undertaking and reflect the quality of investment in the process.

If you focus on outcomes purely and ignore the process then you will sabotage both. However if we commit fully to the process, outcomes will be what they should be.

Fingers crossed. We can do this.

• Like 4