18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

Well it seems my general fears have taken on a more tangible or literal form today.  I wasn't expecting us to return to form quite so soon after Terry's departure.

24 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

If there is any truth in the story we sold on the transfers for Amavi and Sanchez in Feb for immediate payment by an Australian bank then we really could be in trouble.

Yes it is true - it’s reportedly documented at companies house on Feb 2nd only  48 hours after the transfer window ended . 

‘Clearly we were struggling for cash even then . 

Edited by Eastie

I wasn't happy when Bruce was employed because I was hoping for a long term building plan. I wasn't happy with chucking money at older "experienced" players because it looked like a short term gamble. Today we may have learned that it was indeed all a short term gamble, which has failed.

We may now have to live with the consequences of that gamble.

I've wanged on about this elsewhere, but let's say Grealish and Chester are our best players to leave - maybe add a few others and we get best part of £45- 50 mill in. Previous attempts at the FFP gap have been conservatively at £25-£40 mill. We get maybe at a push £10 mill to reinvest in the team, spend it on 3 or 4 good young players (hinted at by Alan Nixon) - retain some experience on high wages we can't shift like Jedi - couple of good loans in key areas - our good young players pushed into the first team and they step up. You know, in those circumstances, IF it were to click, we could compete.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jareth said:

I've wanged on about this elsewhere, but let's say Grealish and Chester are our best players to leave - maybe add a few others and we get best part of £45- 50 mill in. Previous attempts at the FFP gap have been conservatively at £25-£40 mill. We get maybe at a push £10 mill to reinvest in the team, spend it on 3 or 4 good young players (hinted at by Alan Nixon) - retain some experience on high wages we can't shift like Jedi - couple of good loans in key areas - our good young players pushed into the first team and they step up. You know, in those circumstances, IF it were to click, we could compete.

5YfQ.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Jareth said:

O'Hare and Davis are both talented enough to compete at championship level imo, both look promising, O'Hare for his vision and creativity and Davis for his strength and hold up play. So we've got that going for us, I thought they could and should have featured more last season but we insisted on bringing in every striker to have scored double digits in the championship.

I don't see us attaining £45- 50 mil from player sales though. Dreaming if we're hoping for that for Grealish and Chester alone, despite what they should be going for.

Loan market will need to be our friend, something which Bruce has done reasonably well in the past, whether he can do it on a budget I don't know.

I have very little clue as to what we'll be working with next season, but I don't see why we have to be completely shackled by our financial plight.

Surely we're going to retain some of the players we have in the squad now, correct? Some of the most successful players to have played in  the division in recent times.

Our bench would have walked in to a lot of mid-table teams as starters, are we really in such a mess that we're in danger of relegation as a result of the playing squad being poor?

Starting the season with a points deficit would be catastrophic, I understand that, but should we avoid that, surely we put up a squad that can fight each game with a chance?

First we need to keep Bruce because a new manager will want his team which means going back to square one ( or nearly ) then when you look at the team we already have....... De Laet,Bree,Chester,Samba,Taylor,Elphic,Jedinak,Whelan,Bjardson,Houraine,Lansbury,Adamoah,Kodija,Hogan.All we need is a GK and promote a couple of the youth players and we should easily be a top 2 finish.....Surely?

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

First we need to keep Bruce because a new manager will want his team which means going back to square one ( or nearly ) then when you look at the team we already have....... De Laet,Bree,Chester,Samba,Taylor,Elphic,Jedinak,Whelan,Bjardson,Houraine,Lansbury,Adamoah,Kodija,Hogan.All we need is a GK and promote a couple of the youth players and we should easily be a top 2 finish.....Surely?

The team next season will look nothing like that.

• Like 1

I like ridiculous things, so to think out loud, how do we get to the last play-off spot and fluke our way up? I think Bruce can wing us a loan or two to make the back 4 solid enough. In the middle we need the yoof to step up, up front same again and maybe Hogan gets some form back. yer never know. (but you do, in this case, sadly).

5 hours ago, eholm said:

Any chance we can close this thread? Zero chance of even threatening promotion; we need to accept the dire situation the club is in and hope we can muddle through until Xia sells. Staying in the division will be a good achievement and should be our focus on the field.

I think wait to see what happens during the summer and once we have kicked our first ball then we will perhaps have a better idea where we will be at as a whole.

It is going to be an interesting busy period that is for sure.

• Like 2

Keep hold of Chester and get Huth in on loan, Hutton apparently taking pay cut to stay, keep Taylor - that's not an altogether different back 4 - Terry will be hugely missed of course but Huth offers something. I think we stand a chance to stop quite a few teams in this league.

The main problem is everything else! Still, let's see what Bruce cobbles together, they'll have to be very smart loan signings given the wages, but I reckon he'll pull one or two out of the bag. Opportunities all over the field next season for the younger lads, who knows maybe one of them will thrive. It'll be a nice change to have all that expectation removed, haven't know a time like it. 

Forest have just spent £13 million on one player. No idea where they are getting the money from but looks like they are going to do similar to us and wolves and take a huge gamble to get promoted. Be interestIng to see which way it goes.