18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

23 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Doesn’t the amavi or veretout fee come into this years accounts too?

I was wondering about the Amavi money. When did the transfer officially go through because he was on loan at first wasn't he?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vreitti said:

Mate let me now clear it up for you. We know absolutely nothing about how the team will look come august. Let's just stay positive for now, at least until there is valid reason not to. 

We don't but I would say the odds on the team being as strong as this year's is less than 50%

52 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

I was wondering about the Amavi money. When did the transfer officially go through because he was on loan at first wasn't he?

I think both Veretout and Amavi fees will go into this season (2017/18), so they don’t help us next year. Amavi initially went on loan with an obligation to buy, but they then completed the transfer in October. At the time, was probably a way of making sure we complied with FFP for this season 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Mate let me clear it up for you. The squad was very strong this year and we didn't go up. The squad in my opinion will nowhere near be as strong to go up. Finding a keeper better than Johnstone a cb better than terry. A midfielder potentially better than grealish. This with little to know money.

The one goid thing i would say is maybe having lower expectations might be better for us long term so there is not as much pressure on our players

Villa fans AND "lower expectations"  CANNOT exist in the same sentence. It is a spatial anomaly

• Haha 1

We are the best of the 21 Championship sides that were not promoted this season, some way better as well.

And the teams that get relegated from the Prem havent gone back up of late. Is Newcastle only one in last couple of years?

So again, next season is ours to mess up, in our own unique Villa way. 

Please automatics.

Yep, in considering how our squad may be weakened, and the money difficulties - possibly - I think people forget that relative to the teams we are competing with we should still be up there. We will still have a solid base, and will be able to attract players that other clubs can't. We may need to be as clever as some of the clubs in who we target, but we have no disadvantage compared to them. The relegated sides will have their parachute payments of course, but that's all. They may all need to rebuild too

For me it’s a pretty simple situation. Keep jack we probably give ourselves a chance lose him and we will probably be mid table. Im comfortable with steer or another keeper. We need some astute business at the back and then going forward green, o,hare to come in with RHM, Davies supporting Kodja then it’s not as bad as it seems.

add to that I just don’t think the league will be anywhere near as strong as it was this year. No team will go half a season unbeaten and still finish third.

Edited by punkiller1981
Added more detail
  • Like 1

I'm wondering if its worth having gollini and steer as our keepers for next season.  That will save money in that area.

As I think we really need to spending what little money we havw on some cbs, lb and a winger.

If we can flog Hogan then a striker would be welcome as. I think next year its time to give davis and RHM more game time. 

at moment the 3 clubs coming down are in poor positions, Derby are downgrading and rest of teams outside play-offs would say had overachieving seasons

Boro on the other hand look in a good position from this moment

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Darth Villa said:

A crumb of hope? 

We are about £20m worse off next season given that's roughly the drop in parachute payments, Recon recently "purchased" the naming rights to Bodymore Heath, Wyness has said we would be hurt financially but able to cope, I believe he knows what he's talking about.

We all feel crap right now, the London media would like nothing more than to see us implode. We're an easy target.

Tony Xia is no fool, he has the money to support us and whilst I suspect we will have a cheaper squad/first team next season, I don't for one minute believe he doesn't have a contingency plan.

Let's try and keep the faith and avoid the panic button until we really need it.

Xia is no fool ? - he appointed RDM and gave him a massive transfer kitty. I have little faith in him TBH.

Fair point @hippo, and he also came in talking about the size of our transfer kitty that first season which I equally thought was a mistake. He doesn't seem that naive to me now either.

All that aside, I think he learns quickly and understands that he can't get value from his investment if he lets the club go down the pan. He will find a way because he has to or the loses will mount and we're screwed and he's blown his chance at the whole Aston redevelopment aspect that is worth £ billions...

I'm taking a glass half full view until I have absolute proof he's actually a bigger plonker than Randy and his mob - not impossible, hopefully highly unlikely!!

11 hours ago, BOF said:

My fears for next season.

18a006376a07fa3ca199ce85dfb0c3bc.png

There's even a question mark over Chester, if a Premier League side have any sense.

For me @BOF, I think we'll be keeping hold of Kodjia, Adomah, Hourihane, Grealish and Chester at all costs.

The loans were always off if we missed out on promotion. 2xCB, 1xLB and 1xGK are a massive priority to my mind. Assuming Johnstone, Gollini, Hutton, Tuanzebe, Terry and Samba are all off and Elphick and DeLaet are back and raring to go.

Thin the numbers in Midfield - Gardner, Tshibola and Lyden should all go imo. Then can we sell AND upgrade any of the other 4 (Jedinak, Whelan, BB and Lansbury). I would argue we could if there were any takers.

We lack numbers out wide but with RHM and O'Hare floating about behind the scenes it may not be that bad, especially considering Kodjia has his uses out wide. Green and Adomah the only recognised wide men though. It's losing Green I fear the most this close season as I think he's coming into his last year and Spurs for one have been sniffing for a while.

Up front a fit again Kodjia is a great asset. Question marks over Hogan's all round game, Davis's finishing and RHM's strength and fitness make them all a different option with different limitations at this point.

For the umpteenth summer though it's a big long list of players to ship out first, Namely Bunn, Hutton, Agbonlahor, Terry, Samba at the end of their contracts. Snodgrass, Grabban, Onomah, Tuanzebe and Johnstone at the end of their loans. Gil, Gollini, Gardner, Tshibola, Lyden, McCormack and Richards who don't look like they'll be troubling the first team too much. Potentially 17 players to leave there overall, with 7 we need to find buyers for (6 if Deportivo's cheque clears on Gil it seems)....(5 if we assume Richards isn't actually a footballer anymore). 

We need to work out who is going to replace Johnstone, Terry, Samba, Hutton, Snodgrass and Grabban - whether by loans or transfers. After that can we keep hold of Green and can we improve on anyone's place in the squad.

It's only half the first team ?

• Like 1

I think we need to be careful about making assumptions on the youth players - there are in my opinion five that could help, two or three of which are something of a known quantity. They are Davis, Hepburn-Murphy, O'Hare, Green and Doyle-Hayes. Four of those are forwards.

I think we've got problems at the back - we need a keeper or a Gollini miracle, a back up (or starting) left back and a couple of centre halves.

If we want to keep Grealish, then the question for me is how much money can we get for Kodjia and Hogan.

Numbers wise we're short - we need a keeper, defenders and maybe wingers - our older players will be older still this year and will need to be carefully managed - I'm not confident on the ability of Jedinak or Whelan to deliver in 2019.

None of that is about making us better, or improving the squad, that's about keeping the numbers up so that we don't end up having to start strange formations or benches with five strikers on them. There's a huge uncertainty going into next season and it seems to me at least that we're unlikely to start the season as a settled unit. I think this one goes down as a season where we reset and reframe the problem before maybe having another tilt at promotion in 20/21 - if things go well.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Steer

Elmo Bree Chester Taylor

Adomah Lansbury jedi green

Davis hogan

Not bad on paper but desperately need to keep hold of Chester.

Not bad on paper? It's awful.

I'm feeling pretty depressed about everything. 

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

at moment the 3 clubs coming down are in poor positions, Derby are downgrading and rest of teams outside play-offs would say had overachieving seasons

Boro on the other hand look in a good position from this moment

The thing is didnt boro blow like 50m as well? I don't think they will be spending big either tbh