18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

I know how much some of you just love to lose your shit over promotion odds, so here are the current early ones for next season.

6/1 - Aston Villa
7/1 - Swansea, WBA
8/1 - Stoke City
9/1 - Middlesbrough
14/1 - Brentford, Derby County
16/1 - Leeds Utd, Norwich
20/1 - Bristol City, Sheff Wed
25/1 - Hull City, Sheff Utd
33/1 - Blackburn, sha, Forest, Wigan
40/1 - Millwall, Preston, Reading
50/1 - Ipswich, QPR
66-1 - Bolton, Rotherrham

Just don’t want to repeat this season again. Would prefer we all forgot about promotion until we have built the foundations of a good young team into which new players and managers can be swapped in when necessary. We can develop good young players ourselves and if green and rhm and coh get anywhere near grealish levels then promotion will take care of itself. 

2 hours ago, BOF said:

I know how much some of you just love to lose your shit over promotion odds, so here are the current early ones for next season.

6/1 - Aston Villa
7/1 - Swansea, WBA
8/1 - Stoke City
9/1 - Middlesbrough
50/1 - Ipswich, QPR

Can't find that anywhere most have us at9/1 4th favs

10 hours ago, BOF said:

6/1 - Aston Villa
7/1 - Swansea, WBA
8/1 - Stoke City
9/1 - Middlesbrough
50/1 - Ipswich, QPR

The bookies always know something we don't. 

Bruce in! 

Promotion seems a long way off at the moment with all our outgoings and the threat of losing our best players I think mid table would be a more realistic target but for once I would like the bookmaker to be proved right.

• Like 1

On 01/06/2018 at 06:07, Demitri_C said:

I think Lowe expectations might benefit us and the players in a crazy way.

Villa fans ? lower expectations ?  "Cannot compute, cannot compute...."

agree with you - the last few years have either been a mad dash to avoid relegation - or a mad dash to get promoted - always pressure - and it takes a manager braver than any we've had to promote/play youth in those circumstances. if we were a mid table team, perhaps But in the Championship - it;'s not really possible to be mid table.  If you/we were, we would be hoping/busting a gut  for a playoff place

On 31/05/2018 at 18:02, troon_villan said:

The bookies always know something we don't. 

Bruce in! 

the bookies don't always know best......as a non-Villa aside, the best bet i saw was Cardiff relegated/Man City to retain = 3/1

On 31/05/2018 at 12:31, BOF said:

6/1 - Aston Villa
7/1 - Swansea, WBA
8/1 - Stoke City
9/1 - Middlesbrough
50/1 - Ipswich, QPR

We were favourites before the start of last season too...

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If the stories of the mass clearout are to be believed I think this thread should be titled relegation battle. 

I’m taking the 25-1 on offer before it’s cut. Would soften the blow. 

You dastardly old crow ;)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

You dastardly old crow ;)

Haha when I have a chance later I will explain why I feel it’s a relegation battle. 

But I must emphasis any of my relegation related posted are not doom and gloom end of the world I hate the owners and everything about Villa posts. 

I except that a relegation battle is all part of the process of a complete rebuild both financially and on the pitch. I’m just prepared for it. 

Let’s not forget wasn’t too long ago Wolves were in league one. These things happen. 

On 31/05/2018 at 08:11, Eastie said:

Doomed -no , but I think some need to perhaps lower expectation levels next season , we are going to be a weaker side and perhaps without so much pressure of having to get promotion the players may play with a bit more freedom -  I for one am not expecting automatic promotion next season as I was this year - if it takes 2 or 3 years to rebuild and bring through the youth players then so be it - quick fixes  are no longer on the table .

Excellent post and one that echoes my sentiments exactly. Let’s all accept that promotion is not top of the agenda for the next few seasons. The development of a structured, tactical system of play with a more attack minded philosophy is key wth this to be initiated by the promotion of our younger players and the appointment of a younger more modern manager/head coach to implement this strategy. Long term this will be far more beneficial than a quick fix promotion should it happen. 

On 31/05/2018 at 10:59, hippo said:

But FFP doesn't affect infrastructure. So if he really wants to and can afford to rebuild Aston he can............. Over to you Tony.....

Indeed it would be a good way of getting round FFP. The point of developing around Villa Park is to get more money into the Villa Coffers. I think it's all pie in the sky though. 

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Haha when I have a chance later I will explain why I feel it’s a relegation battle. 

But I must emphasis any of my relegation related posted are not doom and gloom end of the world I hate the owners and everything about Villa posts. 

I except that a relegation battle is all part of the process of a complete rebuild both financially and on the pitch. I’m just prepared for it. 

Let’s not forget wasn’t too long ago Wolves were in league one. These things happen. 

I think top half and an outside shot at top 6 personally 

• Haha 1

I still think we need to go for it and I would hazard a guess that might be Dr Xia's feeling too.

Change the manager, clear as much of the deadwood list as possible and use what we have left whilst strengthening once we can.

With Bruce not a chance but a new face depending who it is then possibly aim for the play offs atleast.

• Like 4

I can't see us anywhere near promotion next season.  I am very pessimistic about our prospects now as a club in general.  We are being completely hamstrung by FFP and unless by some minor miracle we manage promotion at some point; any point; in the future then we will be one of yesterday's clubs with an ever-shrinking budget.  I'm struggling to see anything positive after the playoff defeat.  It has killed us.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1