New Manager Speculation

maqroll

Well, people wanted Bruce gone, guess you are getting your wish... 

Look, hiring ‘young’ managers seems to be the in thing at the moment and in some ways it’s working. Moving away from the old guard that flip between clubs every couple of years. 

I wasn’t in the Bruce out camp, but change is a good thing provided we give the new manager the tools to be successful. 

Edited by Tayls

I'm so on the fence about this whole thing. It could work out brilliantly but it equally could be a disaster (there are far more examples of the latter than the former) It's just such a huge gamble and huge gambles are exactly what got us into this mess in the first place. 

Its easy to say the "tried and tested" method hasn't worked, but as a club we've flipped from tried and tested to complete gamble almost at will and since MON neither have worked. 

There are merits to both sides, I'd be excited with a new direction but equally wary about how long we'll stick around if it's not going great, that's when we'll look to someone with a bit of experience to steady the ship before we get bored of the style and take a gamble on an unknown again etc etc, the cycle seems never ending. 

Its easiest to just sit back and see how everything goes, get behind the team and manager regardless of who it is and have some trust that our new owners actually have a clue what they're doing. Fingers crossed! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Well, people wanted Bruce gone, guess you are getting your wish... 

Look, hiring ‘young’ managers seems to be the in thing at the moment and in some ways it’s working. Moving away from the old guard that flip between clubs every couple of years. 

I wasn’t in the Bruce out camp, but change is a good thing provided we give the new manager the tools to be successful. 

Last 6 clubs to go up only Wagner is an inexperienced manager

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Nigel said:

What the hell is a Xia gamble?

He hired Bruce, the equivalent of collecting the £250 on Who wants to be a millionaire! 

RDM Plus the high cost high risk players he allowed the managers to purchase . Henry is a wild gamble on success.

I do wonder what the percentage would be if you were offered the choice a week ago today of one of these options. 

1: Xia in charge without a pot to pee in and Bruce staying in charge.

2: Two Billionares taking over and Tierry Henry becoming the new manager.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I know this can sound daft but I’m not at all sure that ‘going up’ will be at the front of their minds.

If ( IF) they apply the competence they’ve had elsewhere to or Club they will surely see what we can all see.

Which is the Club have suffered hugely in comparison to those which ‘ should’ be our peers....I’d take Spurs as an example.

Why ?

Short termism.

Its not how often the Manager of the First team changes that is the critical factor in success over the long term. What is critical over the long term is a long term objective, with a sustainable long term plan.

So, if we assume the long term objective is to be roughly where Spurs are, for the sake of an example....things that would spring to mind would be scouting, youth development, sports science, holistic style of play throughout the club, planned financial progression, and so on.

Yes, football is ultimately about aiming for promotion, cups, glory.....but in this day and age to DO that there’s a lot of structural stuff needed and I reckon everything they do will be consistent with that.

As such, they will, in my view, see Promotion as a by product of “ getting it right”.

Logically, then, they won’t need to consider how likely someone is to get promoted, they will prioritise how likely someone is to deliver their plan.

That, of course, may be Bruce. Or they may retain Bruce while they restructure other elements.

But it’s my opinion they will do neither, and appoint a new Manager and DOF.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

And look at the way he took them up, wasn't exactly this new style of football everyone bangs on about with young new managers it was some of the most defensive football ever seen. All 3 play off games were even draws and they got through on penalties, finishing 5th on minus GD says it all. 

4 minutes ago, Godders said:

I know this is massively unpopular, but personally, I think we'd be pushing for promotion again under Bruce this year if the squad stays as it is. 

*runs for cover*

I agree with you.  For me it’s a big fat no to Thierry.  Yes Bruce is far from perfect but Thierry is just a name and an unbelievable risk and I don’t think we are in a place for such a big gamble.

I'm torn on this rumour.

On one hand, I'd welcome a change from Bruce. I'm not a strong 'Bruce Out-er', but I'm definitely one of the people that thinks his football is boring, lacks a Plan B, lacks imagination in tactics, transfers and utilisation of available youth. But I feel that his stability is what we need at this point.

On the other hand, Henry is completely unproven, and has no experience other than punditry and a season or two as a coach for Belgium. Bould coming as number 2 would add some experience, which is good, but I still firmly believe that managers like Henry, Gerrard and Lampard shouldn't be dropped straight into roles that are expected to finish Top 4-6 in their respective leagues.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Godders said:

I know this is massively unpopular, but personally, I think we'd be pushing for promotion again under Bruce this year if the squad stays as it is. 

*runs for cover*

on what basis? Genuinely interested to know what you think will be different this coming season and why Bruce would be able to achieve promotion this year?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

I do wonder what the percentage would be if you were offered the choice a week ago today of one of these options. 

1: Xia in charge without a pot to pee in and Bruce staying in charge.

2: Two Billionares taking over and Tierry Henry becoming the new manager.

Stability is key! ?

Big Ron (experienced) - Success

Brian Little (relatively inexperienced) - Success

John Gregory (relatively inexperienced) - Success

Graham Taylor mkII (experienced) - Failure

DoL (relatively experienced) - Failure

MoN (experienced) - Success

Houllier (experienced) - Failure

Mcleish (experienced) - Failure

Lambert (moderately experienced) - ???

Tom Sherwood (inexperienced) - Failure

Remi Garde (inexperienced) - Failure

Bobby Di Matteo (relatively inexperienced) - Failure

Steve Bruce (experienced ) - ???

Try and draw any conclusions from that mixed bag!

• Like 2

I posted in the Steve Bruce thread not so long ago (it's here if you fancy a read) with a list of reasons why we should keep hold of him for this coming season.  And I still stand by a lot of that reasoning, however...

I can't argue with what @villabromsgrove has said in his posts above.  It's hard to see us making long term progress under Bruce, he's either a band-aid to keep us competitive in this division or at best he gets us up somehow and we probably go half, maybe a full season with him before needing to move on.  He isn't the long term future of Aston Villa.  So the question for me is do we hang around and play it safe for a year or two, or do we roll the dice now on a potential long term solution.

We don't know what the new owners have planned.  For all we know, this has been lined up for months, transfer targets identified, FFP loopholes explored etc etc.  They've just saved us from the brink of administration, so I'm happy for them to do what they see best so long as it's not gambling with the future of our club's existence.

Also, consider this.  If we are able to spend money, who do you want spending it?

Take away the loans he brought in, SB's transfer record looks like this...

Neil Taylor
Birkir Bjarnasson
Conor Hourihane
James Bree
Henri Lansbury
Scott Hogan
Chris Samba
Ahmed Elmohamady
Glenn Whelan

Out of 9 permanent transfers, I think you can only claim one to be a real success.  The rest are either poor, average or yet to fully prove themselves.  Fresh thinking in terms of both the football we play as well as the players we bring in is needed!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

Ok. 

And my thoughts on our state are based on knowledge. We are in turmoil. It's that simple.

Surely we were in turmoil, but now things aren’t half as bad ? So maybe we are in oil.

• Haha 1

He won’t be given time, we will be 15th or lower by December and he will be sacked. This will go full Di Matteo.

And having said all that, 15th or higher would probably be a success given that our team has been torn apart. I’d be more comfortable sticking with Bruce for the time being.