New Manager Speculation

maqroll

Just asking, why do people think Henry would be a risk?  

Realistically he isnt going to get us relegated.  He wouldnt be any worse bringing through youth than Bruce has been, and this it seems is the way the owners want to go.  Also if it doesnt work out then the new owners have plenty of money next year and hopefully a foundation to build from.

Bruce is more of a risk, expecting him to introduce a styleof play that will last a few years, especially with a lot less experienced squad.

If its a choice between the two then its a no brainer to me.  The way we will be going, Villa is to big a club for Bruce.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

I feel confident 2 billionaires probably know how to appoint staff to work for them, if Henry is who they have chosen then they have obviously spoken to him and done other research and feel confident he will get us promotion eventually.  

So whoever is in charge I will support.

Just like the billionaire Xia made a good call in appointing di Matteo.

Yup, these billionaires sure know their stuff.

3 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

He said 'at least try'. 

I see we are a frequently pessimistic group no matter what side of grass we're on.

I also think Gary Neville may have had a better shot had he spoken Spanish. 

Is it pessimism?

Every manager is a gamble, but you have to play the odds! 

This may work out, and we be smashing up the league playing beautiful football, but the fact is not even Henry knows if this will happen. Its a shot in the dark!

Now considering we will be in an even worse state next season if we dont go up, is it a good thing that we go for a man who hasnt even began to understand the pressure he will be under;  That can easily jump ship back to sky if this doesnt work?

16 minutes ago, Nigel said:

How do you know Henry will play decent football? The fact is even he won't know what will work for him.

Well we dont know for sure, but we know who wont play decent football.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, there were times last season where Bruce's tactics left me baffled but I can understand the concern with Henry. Given the situation the club finds itself in, I'm not convinced Henry is the right man to bring stability back. Yes there are new owners and I think the fans will support anyone who takes over but considering where we were a week or so ago, we need to settle things down.

That said, any new owners will want to bring in new faces. Wes Edens in particular seems like a super smart guy (after watching interviews with him for the Bucks) so I have faith they have an idea what they're doing with Henry. 

11 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

This. Also to play decent football don't you first need decent footballers? I'm not sure we currently do in all honesty.

And i thought it Bruce getting a Whelan/Jedi tiki taki partnership with Hutton playing the Dani Alves role

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HeyAnty said:

Well we dont know for sure, but we know who wont play decent football.

If its 'decent' football you want (what ever that means) go for somebody who has played decent football. This man could be Pulis! 

7 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Just asking, why do people think Henry would be a risk?  

Realistically he isnt going to get us relegated.  He wouldnt be any worse bringing through youth than Bruce has been, and this it seems is the way the owners want to go.  Also if it doesnt work out then the new owners have plenty of money next year and hopefully a foundation to build from.

Why cant he get us relegated. Martinez and Wenger cant set up a defence and they are his influences

We also have a much weaker squad than last season especially if Jack still goes

24 minutes ago, Nigel said:

How do you know Henry will play decent football? The fact is even he won't know what will work for him.

Yeah this is kind of what I was getting at earlier in the thread.

How does anyone know what Henry will be like as a manager? He's a complete unknown.

I also still think people on here have expectations that are way too high regarding our style of football. I've said it before and I'll say it again, for this level, the football we play is fine. it's not the best, and it could definitely be better, but generally for the Championship it's good football.

There's probably 18 or 19 other teams in the Championship last season who would have loved to have played the football we play.

I think people might be disappointed if they're expecting a massive upturn in playing style under Henry. 
Don't get me wrong, if that does happen I'll be thrilled, as long as the results follow of course.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Anyone predicting doom and gloom is going to be statistically correct, it more than likely will fail in some way in that how rare is it for new owners and a new manager to get instant success. But it's a start in the right direction in my book, and I wasn't even Bruce out apart from that dark moment when we all were. The main thing is that we don't rip up the plan and start another direction should Henry fail.

Really think you over analysing - a manager is appointed to win games - if he doesn't he gets the sack.  What you seem to be saying If Henry fails we should get another manager to come in to carry on his work ????? - personally when Henry fails I would hope we appoint someone to come in and do things differently.

Can I be first to say - "He would be a good manager - we just need a defensive coach"  

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Why cant he get us relegated. Martinez and Wenger cant set up a defence and they are his influences

We also have a much weaker squad than last season especially if Jack still goes

He is a born winner though.  Remember that handball v Ireland?  I think he will want us keep the ball on the deck but be able to do the nasty bits too.

Henry knows the game inside and out. He dissects formations and moves really well as a pundit, technically and tactically he gives the impression he knows what he's doing. If it is him I'm more than willing to give him a chance. I'd argue he would allow us to play more entertaining football if nothing else.

Just now, hippo said:

If Henry fails we should get another manager to come in to carry on his work ?

Yes, I mean we should try and build something from scratch making the most of our younger players, supplemented with a few other promising young players we've had to buy. I'd want that to continue should the manager screw it up, rather than revert to older loans for big wages- dare I say, it bring in Dean Smith then!. I'd be willing to give that approach time, but I'm not certain most would.

• Like 2