New Manager Speculation

maqroll

At this moment in time the Henry / Zola comparisons are a bit unfair. Every man and his dog knew Zola was a sh** manager. Even that Watford team that nearly went up under him was nearly full of loans.

Henry is a huge gamble, but it's the unknown that is the issue. It may be a masterstroke, we just don't know. But far less of a gamble had it been a week ago and Xia calling the shots.

Only worry is if the Henry appointment is true then it looks like villa are going down the immediate success route again. Not sure how I feel about that. Hope it’s not the splash the cash and get us up in 2 seasons plan that’s all. 

18 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Just like the billionaire Xia made a good call in appointing di Matteo.

Yup, these billionaires sure know their stuff.

Yeah, I think I see the flaw in your argument there......

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Really think you over analysing - a manager is appointed to win games - if he doesn't he gets the sack.  What you seem to be saying If Henry fails we should get another manager to come in to carry on his work ????? - personally when Henry fails I would hope we appoint someone to come in and do things differently.

Can I be first to say - "He would be a good manager - we just need a defensive coach"  

Twitter rumours suggesting Steve Bould would be his assistant

I see the Henry haters are lining up already, excitedly looking forward to their "I told you so's". And I suspect that a lot of it is because he's French. 

If there's one thing that certain about football, it's that nothing is certain about football. Whoever we have as manager, they could fail disastrously. Or succeed magnificently. Bruce, Smith, Pulis, Allardyce, Wagner, Henry. You just can't know what will happen. Me, I'll accept whoever the new owners appoint, and wait and see. FWIW, I thought Bruce did OK, but it's probably time for a change. If it's an untried manager, so be it. But I could do without all this VT negativity. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 4

Quite a few were loving the impact of Steve Agnew last season, just goes to show a manager does not work alone and it's all about the team around him. Henry - or any other new green manager's lack of experience can be mitigated.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

But....Are we a club in turmoil?

Haha. You have got to be kidding. OF COURSE we bloody well are!!!

We are having to sell off our best players because we are in breach of FFP of we don't. We have already lost several of the players who helped us get to the Play Off Final and we are about to lose several more, with no really way of replacing them.

I genuinely can't believe you don't think we are a club in turmoil.

Wishful thinking on an astronomical scale.

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

If there's one thing that certain about football, it's that nothing is certain about football. Whoever we have as manager, they could fail disastrously. Or succeed magnificently. Bruce, Smith, Pulis, Allardyce, Wagner, Henry. You just can't know what will happen. Me, I'll accept whatever the new owners appoint, and wait and see. FWIW, I thought Bruce did OK, but it's probably time for a change. If it's an untried manager, so be it. But I could do without all this VT negativity. 

Totally agree with this, will support whoever the manager is next season (including Bruce)

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I see the Henry haters are lining up already, excitedly looking forward to their "I told you so's". And I suspect that a lot of it is because he's French.  

I think thats nonsense, no fan will celebrate failule for their club and I think peoples skepticism is justified for somebody with zero experience as a manager and was only second assistant to Roberto Martinez.

Edited by kiltorken
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

I imagine a Wenger, Henry, Bould combination is out of the question but that would make me a lot more comfortable with the situation.

Not me, I don’t want to finish 4th all the time !?

• Haha 1

Also, what if the new owners have got themselves a Jorge Mendes style agent tie-up and can swing four new players by mid August? Can't see them going for a new guy, at this time and not have a means of providing the players.

18 minutes ago, hippo said:

I never understand this - he will get his chance  - the problem will be winning football games often enough

“When he has failed”

”When he has totally bombed”

Just two of your comments in which you give him a chance.........

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rubberman said:

I'm with thierrytini' ;) - relegation is unlikely this season and my expectations were for mid-table mediocrity.  Pretty good time to take a gamble.  Let's hope it works out.

I like that lol.