MoN (experienced) - Success

Houllier (experienced) - Failure

Mcleish (experienced) - Failure

Lambert (moderately experienced) - ???

Tom Sherwood (inexperienced) - Failure

Remi Garde (inexperienced) - Failure

Bobby Di Matteo (relatively inexperienced) - Failure

Steve Bruce (experienced ) - ???

Try and draw any conclusions from that mixed bag!

It's hard as they all managed under different circumstances, but for me experience is a double edged sword...

In many ways it's vital and a huge aid to a manager.  In others ways it can cloud your judgement, make you overly cautious or fearful.

In the end I think it simply comes down to the individual and the unique qualities they have.

50 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

We were a club in turmoil until last week in my opinion. We are no longer a club in turmoil due to an incredible slice of good luck.

Managerial choice needs to be based on the future of the club, rather than looking over our shoulders at the way we've had to grind through the last few seasons.

We have an average Championship squad, with a few above average players thrown into the mix. We can choose to continue to grind on safely, or we can choose to change to an ambitious approach to the next couple of seasons.

Let's consider "grinding on safely". It would be uninspiring but just might get us to the edge of the play offs, and then who knows .... but what if we unexpectedly got promoted? Our squad and our style of play would be totally unsuited to a Premier League environment and a pre season with new players coming in would have very little chance of producing regular wins in the PL.

The "ambitious approach" may carry more initial risk, but it would at the same time start to prepare us for potential Premier League football. It would also make Villa a more attractive proposition for aspiring European talent who were looking for a possible route into the PL.

I don't believe that Sawiris and Edens have come into Villa to continue "grinding" week in week out ad infinitum. I'm sure they are ambitious and want to develop Villa into a respected and exciting team.

In my opinion their chosen way forward is obvious, so the only uncertainty is whether they go for it from day one, or whether they are happy to allow the status quo to continue for the next few months.

FFP may put a brake on ambition initially depending on our ability to come up with solutions, but positive change will happen. The question is when?

Big Sam " grinded"  Everton to a decent placing in the PL last season. 

I wouldn't view a move for Henry as ambitious - he is out of work - and openly looking for management position. A move for Eddie Howe or Arsen Wenger would be ambitious - but not Henry (I would arge its a particularly stupid idea myself)  

Lets not forger these two billionaires have invested a small amount by there scale of wealth. Every chance they get bored of it in 18 months , when they have to pay out Henry his 3 year contract @ x million a year -  

Why wouldnt anybody want Thierry Henry as manager? Because he is inexperienced? I would say, so was Zidane or Guardiola before Barcelona and Real Madrid appointed them.  And how did it go with an experienced manager, In my oppinion Bruce failed, dont want to go there again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

Think this is massively unfair (particularly implying racism with the skeptics among us)

Not racism - I haven't yet seen somebody come out with "There haven't been any good black managers in Britain", and I would hope I won't. More nationalism. There seem to have have been a number of "I don't like the French" posts on VT (not just here, but in OT). The Irish contingent particularly still seem to be holding a grudge about that handball. Of course, the main argument is 'no experience', and I understand that. But still feel that - if it is Henry - he'll have a mountain to climb to convince some fans. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supermon said:

Henry and Bould as no2 is the kind of direction I want to see villa go, new owners will want to stamp their own mark and rightly so, why keep a manager who has failed to get promotion.

Bruce has done well to stabilize us as a club and stop the rotten atmosphere we had post relegation. He has done his bit to lay good foundations so credit where it is due, it's now the natural cylcle of our evolution (I hope) and we move forward with progressive men in charge.

Why keep people say he has done well to stabilize us as a club? He has, together with Xia, Wyness, etc., played a big part to get the club in the mess we are in right now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

Why wouldnt anybody want Thierry Henry as manager? Because he is inexperienced? I would say, so was Zidane or Guardiola before Barcelona and Real Madrid appointed them.  And how did it go with an experienced manager, In my oppinion Bruce failed, dont want to go there again.

You cannot compare the Real Madrid and Barcelona job with the task involved here, not even remotely close. 

• Like 1

Has Henry got his badges?

If he picks the right team to help him I reckon it could work, he's an intelligent guy.

Steve Bould is well respected isn't he? Plus you'd have the 'Lampard effect' whereby he would be able to attract the players he wants and have the pick of the loanees from Arsenal amongst others.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

on what basis? Genuinely interested to know what you think will be different this coming season and why Bruce would be able to achieve promotion this year?

VP was a fortress last season. I thought We were well in the mix for 2nd after the Cardiff and Wolves games at the back end of the season, despite a pretty poor start to the campaign for a team of our calibre. On fact, the gap was (I think) 6 points after the wolves game? That wasn't massively insurmountable. 

We lost 6 points straight after the wolves game though which ended our hopes. The way I look at it though, that was a squad, manager and style that could have gotten automatic promotion. 

We've lost a few players, but if we keep the likes of Chester and Grealish, I can't see that we've been weakened to such an extent that playoffs wouldn't be a viable outcome this year under Bruce. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, holteend1982 said:

You cannot compare the Real Madrid and Barcelona job with the task involved here, not even remotely close. 

Why not? Both clubs took a gamble on inexperienced managers. I know that the players are on a much higher level than at Villa, but they were also playing against better opponents in the league, champions league etc. They werent afraid to take the gamble, why should we? I would rather take a gamble on Henry, than keep Bruce who has failed at promotion twice.

6 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

Inexperienced? Virtually nonexistent.  He’s just a name, one of the best players the premier league ever saw but I wouldn’t want to risk the near future of Villa with somebody with virtually no experience, this is not fantasy football.  A few examples at clubs that are already exceptional in that league, with vasts amount of money is not going to sway me that’ll work in our problem situation.  Plus there are many many examples where it has failed, I mean we have recent examples of that ourselves at Villa.

Just now, Taxahunter said:

Why not? Both clubs took a gamble on inexperienced managers. I know that the players are on a much higher level than at Villa, but they were also playing against better opponents in the league, champions league etc. They werent afraid to take the gamble, why should we? I would rather take a gamble on Henry, than keep Bruce who has failed at promotion twice.

Zidane - knew Madrid inside and out having played for them for many years and latterly managing their B team

Guardiola - same as above (I think minus managing their B team)

Henry - knows sweet FA about Villa I'd suggest

They also got to work with world class players who could do some if not all of what Henry can/could do, WTF is he going to teach Glenn Whelan, or Tommy Elphick?

So, not even remotely comparable.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

the caliber of players in the squad was such that pretty much anyone with their coaching badges would have made them competitive...and i somewhat disagree with the "better opponents in the league" comment, as many in la liga would struggle in the championship.

and sorry to be pedantic, it's harsh to say he failed at promotion twice, based on where we were when he took over

Edited by tomav84

26 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

Ah, so because you've plucked two of the most successful managers of the past 5-10 years and they happen to be inexperienced when appointed (excluding the fact tat they'd been employed at their respective clubs in playing and coaching facilities before that so had plenty of experience of how the club worked), that means all inexperienced managers will follow suit?

What about the hundreds of managers who have done badly in their first jobs in that time?

Do you see where that logic falls down?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

Look at the calibre of player they had to work with though. Henry can't just turn up and get results at villa. He will have to show his worth. Let's see how zidane goes with say......a decent team.

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

interesting thought, is is possible that the owners leaked the henry story to gauge the fan reaction?

Can't imagine they've got to where there are now by worrying about what the fans think.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Ah, so because you've plucked two of the most successful managers of the past 5-10 years and they happen to be inexperienced when appointed (excluding the fact tat they'd been employed at their respective clubs in playing and coaching facilities before that so had plenty of experience of how the club worked), that means all inexperienced managers will follow suit?

What about the hundreds of managers who have done badly in their first jobs in that time?

Do you see where that logic falls down?

What about the hundreds of experienced managers who have done badly in their first season at a new club? So logic goes both ways. There is no way to say beforehand that Henry will fail or be a success, but rather that choice than staying with Bruce , a manager who brings us no where.

• Like 2