New Manager Speculation

maqroll

In 5 years time, when Monaco have been relegated and you're battling for a mid to bottom table job, the Villa vacancy will come up and you'll come begging. 

Your CV will be going in the same pile as Martinez, Moyes and OGS. 

13 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

A thought on the Terry rumours, but as to a wider point; how often do players return/go straight in to managing a team they've only just played for?

It seems a very tricky balance to me as the role of manager is very different to being part of the squad. Forgetting experience etc will the players listen to him in the same way as they would a new face?

You know what it's like at most work places; the people that get promoted from within are often a little more questioned (although often more liked) than the scary new face that comes in with more respect. In a lot of industries the manager does not mix with the workforce yet Terry would have just been one of the 'lads'.

Not sure if there's an answer to that, it's just a thought.

Gary Monk is the only one I can think of. Giggs as interm too at United. I see your point. 

Rodgers or bust for me. 

I still think the press haven’t a scobby doo. 

50 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

I am starting to wonder whether it is Rodgers with Terry as FTC or Assistant manager.

We must be negotiating a fee or something because we surely would have somebody sorted by now if they were a free.

If Belgian FA havent been contacted and/or Monaco rumours are true then cant be Henry.

Probably rules out Faria, Sousa with them being out of work.

Leaves Rodgers, Fonseca or Smith from what we can gather from rumours.

Fonseca i cant see leaving Shakhtar for us.

Smith i can see joining us and we would probably need to bring staff with him. Would probably have to pay big compensation so this could be a reasonable guess.

Same with Rodgers as Smith really, Celtic want 2.5 million or have quoted that in the past. We would pay it im sure but would he leave Celtic for us at this stage, im not convinced but then again he always has praise for us.

Then you have Terry which is also interesting after him supposedly being at VP yesterday. I would be worried if Terry becomes manager tbh, im not sure why really but have a hunch that it wouldnt go very well. Would be fairly happy with a Henry/Terry duo.

God i hope it gets sorted quick... i am getting NO work done this week due to this lol

Bletchley Park are working on it.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, guyavfc said:

Go for Jardim! ?

If there was any chance of getting him we should go all out. But I've got the feeling he will be very much in demand so won't come. Just to tease read this article about the 6th best coach of 2017.... 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.fourfourtwo.com/features/fourfourtwos-50-best-football-managers-world-2017-no6-leonardo-jardim%3f_format=amp

He's been quietly achieving for a number of seasons, but 2016/17 was the best yet for a manager whose Monaco side toppled mighty PSG and played swashbuckling football en route to a Champions League semi-final

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, tinker said:

I would prefer John Terry to Henry, Terry is a natural leader and seems to have the character to make difficult choices and enough arrogance. If we're gonna take a gamble then he for me would be a more logical choice 

Yeah, buts its like Sherolck Holmes and Dr Watson.

Thierry is the brains, very knowledgable and can speak French.?

Edited by TRO

FFP will be the ruination of this club.  For me it would be mainly (Aside from the fact that with Monaco it's his boyhood club and country calling) a financial thing choosing them over us. What manager worth his salt would put his reputation on the line,especially if it was his first gig, by coming to a club which cannot spend money (Due to FFP), has a severely damaged squad (Due to FFP and some weird decisions by a former employee) and will likely not be able to strengthem much in January (Due to FFP) nor offer him anywhere close to the wages which Monaco likely have done... (Due to FFP again).

The whole thing is just bizarre.

Well done FFP on destroying the game ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

If there was any chance of getting him we should go all out. But I've got the feeling he will be very much in demand so won't come. Just to tease read this article about the 6th best coach of 2017.... 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.fourfourtwo.com/features/fourfourtwos-50-best-football-managers-world-2017-no6-leonardo-jardim%3f_format=amp

If we do it quick......He won't miss his mortgage payment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

FFP will be the ruination of this club.  For me it would be mainly (Aside from the fact that with Monaco it's his boyhood club and country calling) a financial thing choosing them over us. What manager worth his salt would put his reputation on the line,especially if it was his first gig, by coming to a club which cannot spend money (Due to FFP), has a severely damaged squad (Due to FFP and some weird decisions by a former employee) and will likely not be able to strengthem much in January (Due to FFP) nor offer him anywhere close to the wages which Monaco likely have done... (Due to FFP again).

I agree its a scam. That said my hope is that our new owners are bending the rules and finding ways to get around it just like all other successful clubs do. "ffp" is worthless and is treated with contempt by any club that has ambition. Hopefully our new owners are doing the same.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

Reports at the time claimed Jardim got the Monaco job due to his, wait for it, connections with one Jorge Mendes.

Make it so. 

Edited by Sam3773
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, thejoker said:

I’ve always thought JT would make a good manager (natural leader, etc), but for some reason it seems like much more of a gamble than Henry to me. 

I agree, I'm not sure theres any logic at all to really back up that claim, but it's how I feel too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Well, its clear that for clubs like ours and Sunderland.....it was never designed.

Its like, when we are ready to win our money back.....the card players have gone home.....some stitch up this FFP.

Protection ...my ****.

Think Terry would be given a little more leeway than Henry if things didn't improve dramatically fairly quickly thanks to being here last year. He could have gone anywhere but ended up choosing us, seemed to enjoy his time here and was generally well liked by most despite generally being despised before his arrival. Not sure he is quite ready for day to day management on his own but would gladly have him back as some sort of assistant/coach to whoever ends up in charge

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

Celtic want 6 million for Rodgers apparently!

does that include his first team squad as well.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1