New Manager Speculation

maqroll

57 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's a weird point to be making in this thread...

Bruce was derided for such things as not knowing the availability of opposition players (research)

Guardiola did not know Mahrez's frankly awful record of taking penalties (research)

I just find it interesting, given that we keep being told how Guardiola is the pinnacle of football management.

I think that we will take another week or so to secure anyone.

What's the point of jumping for anyone if we still have 12 days until the next game?

I would rather check all the options and go for more ambitious targets.

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Bruce was derided for such things as not knowing the availability of opposition players (research)

Guardiola did not know Mahrez's frankly awful record of taking penalties (research)

I just find it interesting, given that we keep being told how Guardiola is the pinnacle of football management.

I think that's a hell of a stretch. And you know I am one of the guys who usually defends Bruce as much as anyone.

But really my point was it's a weird point to be making in this thread, which has nothing to do with Steve Bruce or Pep Guardiola.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I think that we will take another week or so to secure anyone.

What's the point of jumping for anyone if we still have 12 days until the next game?

I would rather check all the options and go for more ambitious targets.

though hopefully we've checking all the options over the past few weeks (as its prudent to always be checking when you know your manager is on his last chance anyway).

And the earlier we get someone in, gives them time to get used to whats going on behind the scenes. 

My thoughts : Henry thing could go potentially tits up. Villa seem to be taking their time and he won't like the fact the Rodgers's name is popping up again today. Rodgers won't like the thought of being interviewed, bit beneath him. Purslow from what i read likes the whole interview process when appointing a manager ( No bad thing ) Smith to shoot back up the betting and land the job. Boom.

• Like 1

My take is that Rogers is a bit meh, but he will have my support.

I was unsure about Henry, as he was too much of a gamble, ,but I am warming to him. I read his Wiki page, and he is such a winner. Captained Arsenal at some stage, leading goal scorer, POTY, 9th most marketable sportsperson, lots and lots of international caps, yada yada yada. If the guy fell off a cliff, gravity will decide to take the day off. The guy cant do wrong.

As for Dwight Yorke, I am glad some comedy has come out of all this. Having Dwight Yorke in a managerial race is like those " fun"  candidates during an election, which somebody puts up their cocker spaniel as a candidate. Thanks Dwight, very funny, but no.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

though hopefully we've checking all the options over the past few weeks (as its prudent to always be checking when you know your manager is on his last chance anyway).

And the earlier we get someone in, gives them time to get used to whats going on behind the scenes. 

I'd like to think that every club owner is always looking for a new potential manager - every manager in this country is only 4/5 loses away from sacking.

Having said that, I guess it's only now that they can interview?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Head.jpg

Rogers taking a page out of Mick's book of putting one in the hole?

Or, does he want to see more balls into the goal mouth?

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

My thoughts : Henry thing could go potentially tits up. Villa seem to be taking their time and he won't like the fact the Rodgers's name is popping up again today. Rodgers won't like the thought of being interviewed, bit beneath him. Purslow from what i read likes the whole interview process when appointing a manager ( No bad thing ) Smith to shoot back up the betting and land the job. Boom.

Can't see that being a problem TBH. I don't think it will come to interview either - I would doubt Smith or Rodgers would attend an interview behind there current clubs back. If we had permission from the clubs, for say Rodgers - then decide not to offer him the job - is he supposed to go back to Celtic and them he is 100% committed to the cause ?

I think we find out on the qt if any in work manager interested  - (this was happening last week imo) - Then all villa gurus sit down and identify top target of those that are get-table - he would then come for talks knowing the job is pretty much in the bag - it can all go wrong of course with a very public 'no' -  At this point most in job run for cover as they know they are second choice.

5 minutes ago, AJ said:

My take is that Rogers is a bit meh, but he will have my support.

I was unsure about Henry, as he was too much of a gamble, ,but I am warming to him. I read his Wiki page, and he is such a winner. Captained Arsenal at some stage, leading goal scorer, POTY, 9th most marketable sportsperson, lots and lots of international caps, yada yada yada. If the guy fell off a cliff, gravity will decide to take the day off. The guy cant do wrong.

As for Dwight Yorke, I am glad some comedy has come out of all this. Having Dwight Yorke in a managerial race is like those " fun"  candidates during an election, which somebody puts up their cocker spaniel as a candidate. Thanks Dwight, very funny, but no.

Yorke chucking his hat in the ring, Moyes/Hoddle/BFS odds on etc... We just need Sol Campbell to tell us that we are all massive racists now for the unholy trifecta of ‘Things that happen when a club has a managerial vacancy’ Bingo to be complete. 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

The thing that concerns me about Henry is that's he hasn't done the time as an assistant in club football, nor had the time to bed down his coaching philosophy and methodology. 

Villa will be the guinea pigs, could be a good thing, but can the club really afford to take this chance...

Whatever we do is a risk - we’ve gone down the tried and tested routes before and it’s not worked out - all  managers have to start somewhere 

• Like 1