New Manager Speculation

maqroll

Rodgers is massively overrated. Had one of the best squads you'll see at Liverpool and would be a minor upgrade on Bruce if that.

If we are serious about promotion, genuine stability and rocketing up the Premier League when we get there, Ranieri or Allardyce is the way to go.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Rodgers is massively overrated. Had one of the best squads you'll see at Liverpool and would be a minor upgrade on Bruce if that.

If we are serious about promotion, genuine stability and rocketing up the Premier League when we get there, Ranieri or Allardyce is the way to go.

Ok

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

This must be said in jest?

I don't think the board will have sacked Bruce to bring in someone to achieve similar.

While I don't think we'll get someone like Rodgers, Blanc, Benitez or Hasenhuttl.

There are a number of managers within our grasp that should fire us up and out of this league.

Not to ruin the credibility of my post, but I wonder if Gus Poyet has been considered?

A moment of drunken depression on my part, dont take me seriously :)

I like Gus Poyet but I will say the memory of Tim Sherwood giving him a tactical masterclass at SOL is tough to forget. I know its Sunderland, the cursed club, but still... it was not pretty.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

I will say it sounds like we are more likely to go down the foreign manager route, and I for one can't be happy enough. We've had enough of the "old school" British managers and I think its time to try a different approach. Very welcoming signs as of so far.  

Also it sounds like a new manager will be appointed rather fast, apparently the goal is to have one appointed by the Swansea game. Can only be a good thing. 

Edited by Villaphan04
  • Like 1

I think Rogers would be a great appointment. Henry potentially great, but much more of a risk.

Allardyce would have been the perfect guy to follow MON, but not what we need now.

But with the right coaches, the cabbage might work.

6 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I've gone Thierry Henry,

A punt of course as he's not managed before and i voted for him only if he was supported (Which surely he would be even if it was "behind the scenes") by Wenger. Tactically he sees things many miss as i would expect from being in the "World superstar" bracket. The top people in any walk of life tend to get to the top because they have that extra effort and attention to details which others often don't even know exist. If he could come in and transmit that to the players then it could work.

With our squad it's clear that we need someone with a crystal clear game plan and a great tactical knowledge. If we can add that to the undoubted quality players we have things will surely improve. We are not that badly placed despite the dire results being only 2 points adrfit of playoffs and with all the big boys still to play that means we have a good chance of catching them if we can sort things out quickly.

My only concern is as he would likely see us as a mere stepping stone however but then isn't everything in life temporary?!

Not sure about Dean Smith although i like he's a Villa man.

As for the others, Terry would be interesting and may just be the man to pull us together....Player manager anyone? Only trouble is he is just way too Chelsea orientated and would be off as soon as they came calling.. but i guess that means he would have done well here so...

As for the others?

Allardyce? No

Flores? Unsure

Rodgers? Too arrogant

McCarthy? Please no.. Bruce mk11

Billic? Too West Ham and simply no connection here

Other than that it'd be Interesting to see who Mendes would come up with of course

So your only concern about Henry is that he he may see us as a stepping stone. That's your only concern about him ? Not the fact that oh i dunno em HE'S NO MANAGERIAL EXPERIENCE!!!!!

6 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I've gone Thierry Henry,

A punt of course as he's not managed before and i voted for him only if he was supported (Which surely he would be even if it was "behind the scenes") by Wenger. Tactically he sees things many miss as i would expect from being in the "World superstar" bracket. The top people in any walk of life tend to get to the top because they have that extra effort and attention to details which others often don't even know exist. If he could come in and transmit that to the players then it could work.

With our squad it's clear that we need someone with a crystal clear game plan and a great tactical knowledge. If we can add that to the undoubted quality players we have things will surely improve. We are not that badly placed despite the dire results being only 2 points adrfit of playoffs and with all the big boys still to play that means we have a good chance of catching them if we can sort things out quickly.

My only concern is as he would likely see us as a mere stepping stone however but then isn't everything in life temporary?!

Not sure about Dean Smith although i like he's a Villa man.

As for the others, Terry would be interesting and may just be the man to pull us together....Player manager anyone? Only trouble is he is just way too Chelsea orientated and would be off as soon as they came calling.. but i guess that means he would have done well here so...

As for the others?

Allardyce? No

Flores? Unsure

Rodgers? Too arrogant

McCarthy? Please no.. Bruce mk11

Billic? Too West Ham and simply no connection here

Other than that it'd be Interesting to see who Mendes would come up with of course

why not go straight to the source in Wenger?  with Henry as his assistant / successor in a couple years

I know it might sound unrealistic, but the challenge might be what Wenger is looking for at this stage of his career...  worth the conversation imo

• Like 1

Steve Kean or Joe Kinnear for me...  The football might be shit, but at least the press conferences will be glorious!!!

Seriously, though...  Need someone young, modern, and progressive.  

1 hour ago, Skills said:

why not go straight to the source in Wenger?  with Henry as his assistant / successor in a couple years

I know it might sound unrealistic, but the challenge might be what Wenger is looking for at this stage of his career...  worth the conversation imo

Honestly, it might be unrealistic, but everyone thought Benitez going to Newcastle was unrealistic when that happened.  I'm 100% for this plan...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Oh well, it was a fun couple of hours dreaming we might get in a good manager :(

This is exactly why I said yesterday that it doesn't help the situation having fans with wildly bizarre delusions of grandeur when it comes to a new manager.

It just means disappointment is inevitable and that the club will likely be criticized by a section of the fan base when Zidane, Fonseca and Wenger don't walk into Bodymoor Heath.

Fonseca wouldn't come here in a million years whilst we are in the Championship and I'm not even sure he would come if we were in the Prem!

4 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

I will say it sounds like we are more likely to go down the foreign manager route, and I for one can't be happy enough. We've had enough of the "old school" British managers and I think its time to try a different approach. 

Hypothetically, would you rather Remi Garde or Eddie Howe?

Roberto Di Matteo or Sean Dyche?

For me I'd take the two English managers there over those two foreign managers any day of the week.

Just because someone is foreign, it doesn't mean they are going to better. That's just absurd.

• Like 2

I am glad that we are also looking for a new coaching team because they, as much as Bruce, were to blame for the rubbish football we were witnessing. 

I am really not too bothered who we get but it wouldn't surprise me if the owners approached John Terry with a player-manager role until the end of the season. We get a defender in, someone who already knows the players and, he would have 3/4 of a season to impress the owners enough to get a first stint at full time management. 

• Like 2