New Manager Speculation

maqroll

16 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Ok. Let's see if we get Fonseca then. If we do I will be stunned. So stunned that I would put the chances out of 100 at ZERO. 

Shaktar a hugely wealthy Champions League club. We are a midtable second division club who have no defence and not even a half decent goalkeeper. On top of that, we can't spend any money to rectify it.

Anyway, as I said, let's see if you are right.

Don’t underestimate the draw of English football. It is the best place to be. I read a BBC article yesterday where Carlos Carvahal had turned down Sporting Lisbon just on the off chance an English club came calling. He was not available until September for family reasons and consequently had had to turn down some approaches from English clubs too. He said that he was gutted!

Would actually not be at all surprised if he turned up at Villa!

I think we could get Rodgers if he was given the sort of backing that we all hope the owners are prepared to provide. Leeds and Wolves have set the example of being able to attract a quality manager that could have gone to a PL club. No reason why we can't.

Just now, pacbuddies said:

We're going to end up with Mick McCarthy or Sam Allardyce aren't we! Someone please promise me it ain't so. I'm feeling sick.

Calm down it’ll be fine. Take some deep breaths and eat your cabbage. 

10 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

We're going to end up with Mick McCarthy or Sam Allardyce aren't we! Someone please promise me it ain't so. I'm feeling sick.

Tony its ok you don't have to make the decision anymore, wes and nassef do thankfully. :mrgreen:

23 minutes ago, thejoker said:

If the owners are chasing Fonseca, then surely with the links to Mendes, they must have received some kind of encouragement to pursue it.

There are so many unfounded assumptions there.

1. As you say it's an IF they are chasing him. They may well not be. 

2. How do you know they would have needed some encouragement to pursue it? Maybe they just decided to have a go and see if they could tempted him.

3. What's to say that they are pursuing it,? They may have looked at him, found out it's a no go and left it.

Personally, I doubt they are even looking at him. Way out of our league on may levels.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

There are so many unfounded assumptions there.

1. As you say it's an IF they are chasing him. They may well not be. 

2. How do you know they would have needed some encouragement to pursue it? Maybe they just decided to have a go and see if they could tempted him.

3. What's to say that they are pursuing it,? They may have looked at him, found out it's a no go and left it.

Personally, I doubt they are even looking at him. Way out of our league on may levels.

Fonseca is not out of our league. He’s major achievements are winning titles with a massive club in a piss poor league. Hell even Bruce would walk the title with Shakhtar every year in that league.

However it sounds like he chose to stay at Shakhtar rather than move to a Premier league club in the summer so on that basis I can’t see it happening. 

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

FFP man. It’s real!!!

But there are so many ways around it if you are half-decent at accounting.  For example, any contract could be massively loaded on bonus payments or have a huge pay rise on promotion.  Alternatively, if they are looking at a long term project with a DOF and manager then I suspect they could even offer shares either with or without a pay-back arrangement.  As far as I know neither of these would be subject to FFP - or if they were it would be after promotion at which point it is not an issue.  I honestly don't think that you become as successful as the three guys currently running the club are (I'm excluding the Dr from this as he has clearly been removed from the process) without being good at business and knowing how to get around a few technical / bureaucratic obstacles.  It might take someone not that interested just in a salary but I think they can devise a very attractive package for their target candidates.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Skills said:

why not go straight to the source in Wenger?  with Henry as his assistant / successor in a couple years

I know it might sound unrealistic, but the challenge might be what Wenger is looking for at this stage of his career...  worth the conversation imo

I believe Wenger has retired from management, but says he still wants to be involved with football. So Wenger for DOF, Henri manager. 

Now before people scream about being unrealistic, surely one of the things that draws us all to football is to dream. If VT existed back in 1981 I’m sure plenty of posters would have described winning the league and going on to be European Champions as unrealistic. Quoting statistics like we hadn’t won the league for over 70 years and no team that had been in the third division just a few years ago had ever won The European Cup. 

Villa are a unique and very special football club. Throughout our history we have managed to plummet the depths and yet also climb the heights. We’re the ultimate football club because we encompass every emotion and have done ever since some lads stood under a gas lamp and asked if anyone fancied a kick around. 

• Like 3

To the mods - Is it possible to capture all of the actual rumours and have them transferred to a standalone thread which then has no discussion, but only rumours from here. Perhaps use the #villarumour tag? Would make it way easier for the casual viewer or those in other time zones to catch up on the facts and not have to work through 20 - 30 pages of discussion :). 

All discussion carries on here as per usual. 

Edited by Wenin Rome
added more.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fonseca is not out of our league. He’s major achievements are winning titles with a massive club in a piss poor league. Hell even Bruce would walk the title with Shakhtar every year in that league.

However it sounds like he chose to stay at Shakhtar rather than move to a Premier league club in the summer so on that basis I can’t see it happening. 

So he has turned down the Premier League to STAY at Shaktar but he isn't out of our league?

That makes him the very definition of out of our league.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

So he has turned down the Premier League to STAY at Shaktar but he isn't out of our league?

That makes him the very definition of out of our league.

No it’s not. It means he wants to stay at Shakhtar rather than move to England. A manager that has actually achieved something substantial and sees us as a massive step down in his career would be out of our league. Not a manager that wishes to remain at his current club for whatever reason. 

Plus he was never even offered the role in the Premier League. He was just considered.

If you’re definition out out of our league is a manager that wishes to stay at his current club. Then yes, his out of our league.