New Manager Speculation

maqroll

Back on topic. Bruce’s remit this season and probably last was to gain promotion. Based on the squad available to him and how he was backed financially plus time given I suspect automatic promotion was the expectation.

He really hasn’t come close to that and finishing fourth in the Championship should be seen as a disappointment. It is no surprise therefore that Lyness failed to confirm whether Bruce would be at Villa next season.

If Villa fail in the playoffs then I would imagine Bruce will be rightly sacked. With the restructuring at the club should Villa not go up a new manager must be appointed who is more used to working with and improving younger players.

Edited by striker
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, striker said:

I’d fear Southampton if they drop.

If we fail to get promoted I'd hope Swansea to be the one's relegated. Not that I have anything against them, rather the opposite.

But they'll lose a lot of their better players like Mawson and others, and the one's on loan.

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Stoke are down now, they are not a bad side either and I would expect them to really challenge for promotion next year.

You're right. They're not a bad side.. they're absolutely awful. They have virtually no quality and as things stand they will struggle. Their only remotely decent to good player is Shaqiri and he won't be sticking around. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Stoke are down now, they are not a bad side either and I would expect them to really challenge for promotion next year.

Stoke are dog shite!

• Like 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is no great chasm despite the huge money advantage between the Championship and the bottom of the Premier league. 

Relagated teams are generally dire, they've just spunked huge sums of money on players who are not good enough for the Premier League. 

As we have seen relegated teams don't go straight back up and promoted teams don't come straight back down. 

41 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is no great chasm despite the huge money advantage between the Championship and the bottom of the Premier league. 

Relagated teams are generally dire, they've just spunked huge sums of money on players who are not good enough for the Premier League. 

As we have seen relegated teams don't go straight back up and promoted teams don't come straight back down. 

Newcastle said hello

10 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Newcastle said hello

The exception not the rule. Plus Stoke are not coming down with Rafa Benitez in charge. 

Edited by sidcow

7 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

Stoke are dog shite!

If they keep most of their players they'll be there or thereabouts in the championship, it's a big if though, if they keep Shaqiri and build around him they'll be a great team at this level.

• Like 1

Guest av1
12 minutes ago, romavillan said:

If they keep most of their players they'll be there or thereabouts in the championship, it's a big if though, if they keep Shaqiri and build around him they'll be a great team at this level.

Shaqiri barely looks arsed in the PL. There is no way he will hang around in the championship. 

11 hours ago, romavillan said:

If they keep their manager they will be more likely to follow Sunderland to league 1 :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Eastie said:

If they keep their manager they will be more likely to follow Sunderland to league 1 :)

So Paul another 0-4 defeat at home this time to Rotherham, how do you think the team played

Sure they were excellent again and just unlucky

14 hours ago, romavillan said:

Stoke team that played on Saturday:

Butland- Will leave

Glen Johnson- Amazed he's still there. Not a good player anymore it's fair to say.

Zouma- Will go back to Chelsea.

Shawcross- Will stay. Was a good defender but injuries knackered him at prem level. Will probably be fine in the championship.

Erik Pieters- Average but can defend.

Joe Allen- Will be sold. Would be excellent at championship level.

N'diaye- Rumoured he has relegation clause.

Bauer- Don't really know much about him.

Shaqiri- Will move back to europe.

Mame Diouf- Will move back to Bundesliga.

Crouch- Stoke's best striker. He's also nearly 40 so will struggle with the Saturday-Tuesday run of games.

Subs on Saturday included Darren Fletcher, Stephen Ireland, Charlie Adam and Geoff Cameron all in their 30s.

Stoke need a lot of work in the summer to challenge imo. Paul Lambert also isn't a manager capable of winning 20 + games given his record in recent years so bad choice continuing him as manager.

Think West Brom will be similar. Southampton will do the best of relegated clubs as they have a good squad and will probably keep more of those players than the other two.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Stoke team that played on Saturday:

Butland- Will leave

Glen Johnson- Amazed he's still there. Not a good player anymore it's fair to say.

Zouma- Will go back to Chelsea.

Shawcross- Will stay. Was a good defender but injuries knackered him at prem level. Will probably be fine in the championship.

Erik Pieters- Average but can defend.

Joe Allen- Will be sold. Would be excellent at championship level.

N'diaye- Rumoured he has relegation clause.

Bauer- Don't really know much about him.

Shaqiri- Will move back to europe.

Mame Diouf- Will move back to Bundesliga.

Crouch- Stoke's best striker. He's also nearly 40 so will struggle with the Saturday-Tuesday run of games.

Subs on Saturday included Darren Fletcher, Stephen Ireland, Charlie Adam and Geoff Cameron all in their 30s.

Stoke need a lot of work in the summer to challenge imo. Paul Lambert also isn't a manager capable of winning 20 + games given his record in recent years so bad choice continuing him as manager.

Think West Brom will be similar. Southampton will do the best of relegated clubs as they have a good squad and will probably keep more of those players than the other two.

Bauer looks a pretty good player my view is he will be sold too. Their fans really rate him and from what seen he is pretty good.

people keep banging on here about us signing  Shaqiri again (four corner model needs to be applied and some common sense)  some people never learn the guy is arrogant, full of himself and not that good and caused issues at few his clubs thinking he is the bees knees he has been average for stoke. Wouldn’t touch him with barge pole 

I think butland and joe Allan will be bigger losses for them.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 2

On 06/05/2018 at 10:22, Dr_Pangloss said:

You're right. They're not a bad side.. they're absolutely awful. They have virtually no quality and as things stand they will struggle. Their only remotely decent to good player is Shaqiri and he won't be sticking around. 

Great manager, though.

If Bruce does go, and I think he may well should promotion not be achieved.

I wouldn't mind Dean Smith being given the chance to manage a club he dearly loves. And, tbh, I think he's worked wonders at Brentford, whilst playing some very decent football.

Stoke might well be very poor, but they'll be able to (be forced to) sell Jack Butland... which in turn will give them a massive advantage when it comes to FFP.

They'll easily get £30m for him, given how many clubs will be clambering for him, and I doubt they'll be silly enough to splurge it all on 2 vastly overpriced strikers like we did.

I love Dean Smith but he is a successful championship spell away from us yet. Potential for sure but I get scared every time someone mentions him for us at the moment. Before Bruce maybe, not quite ready yet for our ambitions.