New Manager Speculation

maqroll

If you're Dean Smith and the Albion offer you the job on Monday morning, do you (A) Sat yes immediately, or (B) wait until Wednesday morning after old Stevie has messed things up and the Villa come knocking?

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

ezgif_com_video_to_gif.gif

18 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I should be able to laugh at that by now but everything about it makes me angry.

He's been linked to Ipswich.

if that's true then their board needs sacking.

One thing to look out for with Managers is how they handle stepping up to a new level.

Dean Smith was an Inexperienced Manager when he took over at a struggling Walsall.  He kept them up and then challenged for Promotion Playoff Spots.

Recruited to Brentford a League above and has done well.

So far good signs - could he take another step and be a good Premier League Manager - That is the question?

I wouldn't mind us taking a gamble instead of another Steve Bruce type figure.

Im not a fan of Steve Bruce and I do not think he could take us back to challenging top 6 Premier League, but I have to admit he was probably the medicine that Villa needed the past couple of seasons.  Clear the way for another manager to take advantage of a new attitude among the Villa Players.  Also think bringing in Terry to show them how to be professional has helped with this.  Terry would inspire the younger players to do it the right way.

• Like 2

Well, this thread has proved to be as threadbare, desultory and depressing as all its previous versions.

Let's hope the Villa board have drawn up a more convincing list than the one emerging here.

Really, if Dean Smith is being touted because he has stepped up to jobs at Walsall and Brentford, the bar is being set quite low by many Villatalkers.

Personally I can see nothing in Dean Smith's CV that suggests he could make a success of Villa's return to the premier league.

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Well, this thread has proved to be as threadbare, desultory and depressing as all its previous versions.

Let's hope the Villa board have drawn up a more convincing list than the one emerging here.

Really, if Dean Smith is being touted because he has stepped up to jobs at Walsall and Brentford, the bar is being set quite low by many Villatalkers.

Personally I can see nothing in Dean Smith's CV that suggests he could make a success of Villa's return to the premier league.

I guess some would have said the same about Eddie Howe? Dean Smith has shown enough I think in terms of style, presentation tactical awareness to convince many that he's worth a shot - plus he's a villan which always goes down well with the Holte

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I guess some would have said the same about Eddie Howe? Dean Smith has shown enough I think in terms of style, presentation tactical awareness to convince many that he's worth a shot - plus he's a villan which always goes down well with the Holte

That presumably includes an assumption that Dean Smith is equivalent to Eddie Howe in managerial ability.

Dean Smith has now been mentioned twice on this page alongside the terms "gamble" and "worth a shot".

Like I say, let's hope, if the board really are thinking of a replacement for Bruce - particularly if it were to happen after we were promoted via the playoffs - they go for a slightly less chancy option.

I think Dean Smith and even Eddie Howe are a bit small fry... at least I hope they are. Perhaps I'm deluded about our stature, but if Bruce were to go (and I personally hope that he doesn't) I would hope to attract a better calibre of manager. I know Wagner was a gamble to a certain extend when Huddersfield appointed him, but I would like to see us go for a young, ambitious manager even if they are not British, and have no experience of the Championship... but not Roberto Di Matteo.

40 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I think Dean Smith and even Eddie Howe are a bit small fry... at least I hope they are. Perhaps I'm deluded about our stature, but if Bruce were to go (and I personally hope that he doesn't) I would hope to attract a better calibre of manager. I know Wagner was a gamble to a certain extend when Huddersfield appointed him, but I would like to see us go for a young, ambitious manager even if they are not British, and have no experience of the Championship... but not Roberto Di Matteo.

I honestly don't see Eddie Howe as small fry - I think he is one of the brightest young managers around and the job he is doing at Bournemouth is amazing in my view and I would  be delighted if he got the job - on the other hand I do see your point of view after all we are Aston Villa and we are still capable of turning a few managerial heads 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Yup, to be fair, alot of managers get the "Big Jobs" based on the reputation and qualities they have shown in smaller jobs.

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yup, to be fair, alot of managers get the "Big Jobs" based on the reputation and qualities they have shown in smaller jobs.

We’ve certainly had our share of “ big jobs” in management :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Tactics, yes, agre.

But Style, presentation, and being a Villa fan ? Means zero in my view.

20 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Tactics, yes, agre.

But Style, presentation, and being a Villa fan ? Means zero in my view.

No I disagree I think we are one of those fan bases that do want one of our own whenever possible tbh - remember that Sunday when Brian came home?

And even Bruce's biggest fans would concede he has served up periods of dross during his tenure - and yes I concede right now is not one of those periods - so I do believe style is still important even in today's must win at all cost approach 

THERE IS NO NON-CHANCY OPTION..... KEEPING BRUCE IS CHANCY TOO !

Im annoyed that poster a likes poster b and poster c,d,e, point out that it’s chancy or risky.  Maybe I’m just nervous about playoffs

the goal cannot be to find a sure thing, because there isn’t one   (Except death and taxes of course)

3 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

THERE IS NO NON-CHANCY OPTION..... KEEPING BRUCE IS CHANCY TOO !

Im annoyed that poster a likes poster b and poster c,d,e, point out that it’s chancy or risky.  Maybe I’m just nervous about playoffs

the goal cannot be to find a sure thing, because there isn’t one   (Except death and taxes of course)

No need to shout :)