New Manager Speculation

maqroll

On 27/04/2018 at 02:47, villarocker said:

I think we've played some lovely football at times this season. My problem has been that when we have gone behind in games Bruce seemed to have gone a bit off kilter and simply decided that the only tactic is to put a big man up front,surround him with strikers, and hope someone can stick a knovk-down in the back of the net. Which, to be fair, hadn't happened too many times this season, overall. 

Having said that, I do understand your point about the qualities of the managers whose clubs will probably be relegated. You could definitely say Bruce is from that genre of manager and maybe that type is no longer for the top flight of English football. The way Wolves and Fulham have played this season, maybe it will no longer be good enough for the Championship!

I think so too. Many teams now will see how Wolves/Fulham did it & will emulate. 

Not sure how’s Wolves / Fulham playing style last season ? If they only change it this year & found such success over a season, than I am really worried. There maybe 2 or 3 similiar “ wolves “ next season. As I know it ,WBA owner Lai is a shrewd guy & has deep pockets , not difficult for them to be another Wolve next season... 

On 24/04/2018 at 17:15, Stevo985 said:

I couldn't disagree more.

Regardless of our opinion of the guy, I imagine Steve Bruce sees this as his biggest opportunity in management yet.

He's never managed a club of our size, and assuming Xia is the real deal, won't have had a budget of this size either.

I don't think Steve Bruce has any intention of leaving the club if we get promoted.

Granted but I don't think he'll have a choice.

If you're Dr T and have the ambition we think he does, Bruce simply doesn't fit the bill. He has shown before that if he can attract a sexy name he'll pursue it, regardless of what the football heads around him say. Which in itself rings different alarm bells.

Time will tell. But I've just always felt it is get us up and thanks see you later deal. 

• Like 1

This might have been discussed before, so apologies if so, but...

Does anyone think Sean Dyche would drop down a league (worst case scenario in May we don't go up), with the promise of rebuilding the club and having significant funds when promoted? Its probably absurd given Burnley are in Europe next year, but he's surely hit glass ceiling there, and if he's not getting jobs like the Everton one, is there anyone similar who can give him the opportunities to remodel a squad and be at a "big club" like we can?

25 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Does anyone think Sean Dyche would drop down a league (worst case scenario in May we don't go up), with the promise of rebuilding the club and having significant funds when promoted? Its probably absurd given Burnley are in Europe next year, but he's surely hit glass ceiling there, and if he's not getting jobs like the Everton one, is there anyone similar who can give him the opportunities to remodel a squad and be at a "big club" like we can?

No.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Don_Simon said:

What would even be the point, he wouldn't get the time he has had at Burnley to build and rebuild.

The difference in expectation levels within the 2 sets of fans makes it untenable unless he (or anyone else) gets relatively instant success.

Shit, people are still clinging on to SB having failed last season for not getting us promoted after taking over with 11 games (roughly 25% of the season) gone and sitting in 22nd place, what chance would Dyche have?

• Like 3

On 08/04/2018 at 21:31, Vive_La_Villa said:

Because they won't back him financially. 

Edited by TRO

I think Steve Bruce had a blueprint of how he was going to get us up this season....If that doesn't happen the landscape may well change.

He will see what he has got to deal with in terms of players and financial support, and allowance(FFP).

I believe he could well change his approach based on what he has at his disposal.

I think the danger with changing manager is that it takes them months to find the toilets, it will set us back a couple of seasons, even if the new guy knows what he is doing....unless we get very,very lucky.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think Steve Bruce had a blueprint of how he was going to get us up this season....If that doesn't happen the landscape may well change.

He will see what he has got to deal with in terms of players and financial support, and allowance(FFP).

I believe he could well change his approach based on what he has at his disposal.

I think the danger with changing manager is that it takes them months to find the toilets, it will set us back a couple of seasons, even if the new guy knows what he is doing....unless we get very,very lucky.

I think he will realise if he couldn't get this lot up he hasn't got a rats change in hell of getting a team in financial trouble promoted. (If the speculation is true).

Can see a mutual agreement for him to part of we don't go up. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think he will realise if he couldn't get this lot up he hasn't got a rats change in hell of getting a team in financial trouble promoted. (If the speculation is true).

Its possible anything is.....but it is also possible he will go with less experience ( because the trade off is high wages, lack of pace/athleticism. more injury prone) He may decide he has tried what he has and it hasn't worked the way he wanted and go with an alternative plan.

who knows

I just think sacking a manager for finishing fourth after what he inherited is a mighty risky thing to do.....when it can be argued he hasn't had 2 full seasons and baring one big signing that didn't go to plan.

I understand its a divided opinion, but I am not so sure Dr T will throw the baby out with bath water.....There may be a change of direction with existing bosses, but SB maybe still a part of that, if he wants to be.

don't forget, they work with him every day, they know what he has and hasn't done......we only see the match day performance and witness the results.

people like Wyness and Round, maybe saying no one else is going to come in  and do better than what he has done with limited resource.

Its all speculation of course.....we just have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Well, I don't want to go off tangent here, but Warnock looks like he has managed to get a modestly funded outfit up....its not always about money, its just helpful....most of our first team are loans, modest buys or ex academy......Its about the right players in the right position to do the right job.

Its about horses for courses and players consistently doing the business however they are set up.....like Wolves or Cardiff ( Chalk and cheese)

How many fans would think Warnock could have got us up or could he?

Edited by TRO

50 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well, I don't want to go off tangent here, but Warnock looks like he has managed to get a modestly funded outfit up....its not always about money, its just helpful....most of our first team are loans, modest buys or ex academy......Its about the right players in the right position to do the right job.

Its about horses for courses and players consistently doing the business however they are set up.....like Wolves or Cardiff ( Chalk and cheese)

How many fans would think Warnock could have got us up or could he?

Let's just say the club does want to keep Bruce on. What makes you think he will want to stay? 

Every club he has got promoted from the Championship as had one of the biggest budgets in the league in terms of transfer fees or wages.

If he no longer has that luxury why would he even want such a near impossible challenge?  Unless maybe the expectation of the club no longer becomes automatic promotion and just to make the playoffs.  

As for Warnock. I can probably count on one hand the amount of games I've seen us 'fight' for the results as hard as Cardiff do. Either we haven't got the players  or Warnock is able to get a lot more out of players than Bruce is. 

It appears that Arteta is available. Big Champo club appears like exactly the type of next step he should make. Would be risky, but maybe we'd try to play football, which would be nice. 

Anyway... all speculation is moot until our league status is sorted out.

• Like 1

Yes if we managed to get Arteta or similar type manager , I feel its the right direction to take.  Wolve’s Nuno only need a season or 2 to make the change from Lambert & look where they are now. 

• Like 1

On 02/05/2018 at 16:21, Vive_La_Villa said:

Let's just say the club does want to keep Bruce on. What makes you think he will want to stay? 

Every club he has got promoted from the Championship as had one of the biggest budgets in the league in terms of transfer fees or wages.

If he no longer has that luxury why would he even want such a near impossible challenge?  Unless maybe the expectation of the club no longer becomes automatic promotion and just to make the playoffs.  

As for Warnock. I can probably count on one hand the amount of games I've seen us 'fight' for the results as hard as Cardiff do. Either we haven't got the players  or Warnock is able to get a lot more out of players than Bruce is. 

I think we see the jobs much different to what the managers themselves see it.

• That's a fair question, but I think he will want to stay.....I also think after every season managers see the finer improvement that is needed, if they can keep the good bits, its usually progressive not radical.....problem is we have been dealing in radical for about 10 years.....to a degree, I think Wolves did that, seen the back bone that existed , but added the guile, necessary to move forward.
  • There is a correlation no doubt.....not sure if thats right, but lets assume it is.....outside of Hogan where is the big money signing fee's, that he has been involved in?
  • what luxury?....They are mostly loan signings and low budget signings or someone elses big money signings......The club just want promotion, conditions are irrelevant, i guess they would take it for good crowd behaviour if it was available.
  • He has a type of player he goes for and instills in them the " Wimbledon like" fighting spirit....yeah, he has a method.....like him or loathe him, he gets results at this level.....He has a few players, I would not turn my nose up at, but as you allude to, SB may not get the same return.

I think we have some very good players, I also think we have some that are not quite as good as we think they are particularly in terms of consistency......Personally, I think SB has done well with what he has got , not the other way around.....I don't think the full backs are Auto promotion material, not sure centre mid is either, but its just opinions.....I will redress that I think Hutton possibly is......Albert has lost his edge, so I think we have finished over 46 games where we should have......I don't want to list all the things we are not very good at because I want to go in to these play-offs believing we can win and too much negativity will eventually find its way on the the pitch....but for what i Have seen this season do I think That Steve Bruce has done well with this group of players.....Yes I do.

Ps I would suspect John Terry, would probably agree with me on the shortcomings, but He too is ready for the fight........not a time for negativity......no matter how attractive a debate it can be to some.

UTV

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, TRO said:

what luxury?....They are mostly loan signings and low budget signings or someone elses big money signings..

I doubt there are many clubs in this league, if any that can afford the wages of John Terry and Snodgrass. Yes it's only 2 players but one is our captain and leader and the other has contributed to over 20 goals this season. 

If the financially implications of no promotion are too believed its very unlikely we will have these 2 players next season significantly weakening us before the summer even starts. 

35 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't want to list all the things we are not very good at because I want to go in to these play-offs believing we can win and too much negativity will eventually find its way on the the pitch

We both know a reasoned debate on a villa forum about whether he would want to remain in the job next season if still in this league will not have an impact on the pitch. 

But happy to park it there until the season is over in the hope it doesn't need to be revisited. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

On 02/05/2018 at 16:46, villakram said:

It appears that Arteta is available. Big Champo club appears like exactly the type of next step he should make. Would be risky, but maybe we'd try to play football, which would be nice. 

Anyway... all speculation is moot until our league status is sorted out.

What has Arteta done to suggest he’d do a good job and get us playing nice football

30 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

Yes if we managed to get Arteta or similar type manager , I feel its the right direction to take.  Wolve’s Nuno only need a season or 2 to make the change from Lambert & look where they are now. 

Nuno Was fairly experienced, Arteta has never managed

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

What has Arteta done to suggest he’d do a good job and get us playing nice football

Nuno Was fairly experienced, Arteta has never managed

That is a fair comment. If we don't go up, financials will mean that we are no longer a large club (if that's even true now). Perfect starting job for a highly experienced former pro that is highly regarded.

There is an awful lot of good words being spoken about him, both about his time at Arsenal and his current work at City. I'd much prefer someone of his ilk than yet another of the tried and tested and worn bunch.

• Like 1