Lewis Grabban

KJT123

I'm still amazed that we managed to get one of the leading scorers on loan in the middle of the season. Really masterclass business! He seems to make a perfect fit. Him coming in shows it was a mistake to replace Ayew, Gestede and McCormack with only Hogan last January. Glad the lesson was learnt and let's hope he fires up to the PL now! 

Edited by Keener window-cleaner

43 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He's making all the excuses made for Hogan look quite silly.

Tbf Grabban was isolated for most of the first half in much the way Hogan often is 

Grabban shows more determination to get on that final ball though , arguably he had no right to win that ball for his goal , just determination and a scorers instinct

Like most ( probably all tbf ) on here I wanted Grabban to start over Hogan yesterday  and for the upcoming games ... but the beauty of it is now , is that Hogan has to step up again if he wants a place back in the starting 11

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Tbf Grabban was isolated for most of the first half in much the way Hogan often is 

Well exactly. That’s the point. He was isolated, but when he did get the ball he did things with it. He held it up well, he brought others into the game.  Most importantly he got a goal. 

Hogan does none of that. He runs around a lot. That’s about it. 

• Like 2

Grabban seems to be able to hold the ball up and run the channels and pose a goal threat.

I don't know whether anyone else noticed, but we pressed Wolves really high up the pitch, meaning Snodgrass, Adomah and Grabban had to put a real shift in. It was tactically astute by Bruce, but if it hadn't been executed well it have left us really exposed. 

Credit to Grabban for being able to take this on so quickly. He didn't give their defenders a moments peace, their center backs didn't want to pump the ball forward for Jedinak or our defenders to clear up so they were forced into attempting risky diagonals to the full backs and wingers. Who were harassed and chased down by everyone. 

I think if Grabban doesn't get this right then our game plan falls to bits. They get an easy ball into midfield, and from there they expose the gaps out wide from our high press. 

Basically I'm massively impressed with Grabban. 

• Like 2

He has got a good touch and he won't be rushed or pressured with his back to goal. If you haven't got a good touch, and the ability to hold off a defender and hold onto the ball for 5 seconds at this level then you are in trouble..

Like what I've seen from him so far.

He's a more complete forward than Hogan who works hard but doesn't get much out of his hustling and Kodija who is capable of amazing moments but doesn't really fit into any team effort.

Grabban has more tactical awareness and still has an eye for goal. Very good at this level.

Perhaps not someone I'd spend big money on should we get promoted, and certainly not a starter at PL level, but perfect for where we are atm.

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Didn't he score 20 + for Bournemouth at this level?

Premier league has been a step up too far but he's quality in the championship.

I don’t think so, his wiki page Is unclear it looks like he Scored more goals for Bournemouth in league one.

Edited by VillanousOne

I actually thought he had a poor first half. Decision making was quite bad every time he touched the ball. Like when he had the ball a the byline and decided to still shoot. Had to put the ball across the face of goal there. 

But he was excellent in the second half so fair play to the man! 

Â