John Terry

Farlz

To blame Terry is nonsense. Smith’s philosophy is going ‘toe to toe’ with opponents, so the defence will be exposed more than a team with 11 men behind the ball and very few of us want to see that.

We are mostly too easy to get at but this is as much to do with the team set up and midfield as the defence. Even our ability to get the ball to stick up front clearly won’t help. 

We have a very young and inexperienced defence and team generally. I still expect us to improve over the last 2/3 months.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Elton said:

To blame Terry is nonsense. Smith’s philosophy is going ‘toe to toe’ with opponents, so the defence will be exposed more than a team with 11 men behind the ball and very few of us want to see that.

We are mostly too easy to get at but this is as much to do with the team set up and midfield as the defence. Even our ability to get the ball to stick up front clearly won’t help. 

We have a very young and inexperienced defence and team generally. I still expect us to improve over the last 2/3 months.

I hope so Elton but I don’t share your enthusiasm. 

Going toe to toe with teams playing out from the back is all well and good if you have the players to do it. I just think we need to get the basics right and try to clear our lines more. 

All this stupid football at the back is causing us so many problems. How many times have we conceded this season from one of our players messing up in their own half? 

Im not saying get ten men behind the ball, but there needs to be an intelligence within the team and the coaching staff to know that with players like Engels, Hause, Drinkwater and Nakamba, you need to play dirty and get the ball up the field, quicker. These just aren’t players you can play like Barcelona with. 

I like Smith and I don’t think he’s been given the players to do the job he wants to do, but he and the coaching staff need to wise up to the fact that we need to change the way we play sooner rather than later. 

• Like 2

Just now, villalad21 said:

His job is assistant head coach. He's doing whatever Dean tells him to do.

You obviously haven't seen previous videos of how Dean Works if you think he is some sort of dictatorial figure!!

18 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Terry needs to go in the summer. He clearly contributes **** all.

Can't sort out this defence. 

Still awful at set pieces and corners. 

Mental collapses in o.t.

I genuinly don't get what he does. Can't we actually hire someome that knows what they are doing??? 

John Terry is not the defensive coach. He's assistant head coach (assistant manager essentially)

You would hope he'd still contribute to the defensive coaching, but that is not his job.

18 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The bottom line is he has the responsibility of coaching the back line, and week after week it's the part of the team that performs worst, and lets the rest of the team down. He's obviously massively experienced as a player, but inexperienced as a coach, and I can't see how we can avoid questioning his methods. None of the players seem to be getting any better, and Engels in particular seems to have regressed during the season.

I'm not sure it is. He has the same job as Richard O'Kelly. Assistant Head Coach.

Maybe John Terry has been specifically designated as the defensive coach. It would make sense. But it's certainly not his sole responsibility.

I'm going off something I read that stated, essentially, that Terry ran sessions with defenders in particular (I seem to remember the same thing saying O'Kelly ran sessions with forwards). However, I can't provide it and can't remember what it was, so I'm happy to accept I may be wrong.

• Like 1

I would say that John Terry has enough common sense to figure out that if we are leaking goals at the back, then we need more defenders ( 4 or 5 ) Not 3.

Even if J.T. suggested we play 4/5 at the back.The final decision is Dean Smith`s

38 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm going off something I read that stated, essentially, that Terry ran sessions with defenders in particular (I seem to remember the same thing saying O'Kelly ran sessions with forwards). However, I can't provide it and can't remember what it was, so I'm happy to accept I may be wrong.

I might be wrong too. I admit I don't really know.

But people (not you) have plenty of times in the past referred to him as the defence coach or similar.

He has the same job title as Richard O'Kelly. Again you'd expect that, given he's one of the best defenders the country has ever had, that Terry would probably have a different remit to O'Kelly that would include some defensive responsibilities. But I think it's short sighted to suggest he should be sacked (I'm not saying you said that) because the defence isn't performing. His role involves much more than that.

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I might be wrong too. I admit I don't really know.

But people (not you) have plenty of times in the past referred to him as the defence coach or similar.

He has the same job title as Richard O'Kelly. Again you'd expect that, given he's one of the best defenders the country has ever had, that Terry would probably have a different remit to O'Kelly that would include some defensive responsibilities. But I think it's short sighted to suggest he should be sacked (I'm not saying you said that) because the defence isn't performing. His role involves much more than that.

Well somebody should be sacked because the defence really IS NOT performing. 

5 hours ago, vreitti said:

Well somebody should be sacked because the defence really IS NOT performing. 

And you’re saying that the blame is on JT? As far as I can see he gets on well with the team and there’s never any attention seeking on his part to undermine DS. How anyone can be targeting our Assistant, I’ll never know.

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Sack John Terry and none of our defensive woes would go away or even improve.

Our defensive problems is down to Dean Smith. I understand many people on here won't ever admit or accept that, but that's the reality.

Evidence?

You're presenting this opinion as a fact.

JT must stay! 😉

I'm happy that he's on board and I'm confident that Jack and the rest of the players, would be likely to feel like that as well. Now is the time to back the team on the pitch and the management team off it, to get us out of this mess, rather than to turn on one or more of them. What good would that really do now? 

• Like 1

Our team shape and organization would be completely different if JT was our head coach. 

I can almost guarantee you guys.

Our defensive woes has everything to do with how Smith set's up the team. It's him who wants to play a risky high line and playing out from the back.

It's playing with fire in this league.

Edited by villalad21

I think our back 3 was ok against Spurs apart from the Brainfart.

They aquitted themselves well,in the last ditch tackles and the score line could have been more without the fantastic goalie.

i think its a red herring, in regards to John Terry.

The Team struggles with Defending not just the back line......That is down to Dean Smith, he sets us up, he calls the shots....He agrees the transfers, presumably.

its his train set, as far as we know.

Quite frankly, I have rarely heard fans call out the coaches in times of criticism, mainly due to us not being privvy to events on the training ground....its the manager who takes the responsibility......good and bad.

If John Terry is at fault as some suggest.....Dean will deal with that, won't he?

Edited by TRO

Â