John Terry

Farlz

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

No we dont. Look at the damage the quick fix has done to Everton

Do you wanna lose all our best players including Jack.

I'd rather take a quick fix if things doesn't get better after these crucial games coming up.

Look at the effect Duncan had on the toffies.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Do you wanna lose all our best players including Jack.

I'd rather take a quick fix if things doesn't get better after these crucial games coming up.

Look at the effect Duncan had on the toffies.

As great as Jack is the club is more than one player. Big Sam or Pardew will just stifle his creativity 

Happier with a long term target

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stephen_Evans said:

I have a feeling the Chief executive changed in the meantime. 

Yeah but I wouldn't think the top brass would react any differently if such a situation were to come to pass even if that were to change. Sacking Lambert that season was definitely the right move as it arguably saved us for that season. If the board are more competent now than before as some people here would like us to believe, than I would expect the same to happen to Smith if it would come to it.

• 1 month later...

Just a note of how classy John Terry has been since joining us. He could very easily play mr big bollocks here but he doesnt. Modest, unassuming and quietly gets on with his job. You can see him advising Smith and talking with players during games but when the press comes round for an interview he quietly demurs and lets the gaffer have the spotlight. Meanwhile the players bring him up in interviews and how they learn from him. Great stuff.

What a great and grounded professional. I hope he doesnt leave but his dedication to learning his new craft is clear. My guess is he will succeed as a manager if thats his goal because he has put the work in ahead of time and made sure he is ready to win before doing it. Maybe that attitude is why he was such a good player.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Just a note of how classy John Terry has been since joining us. He could very easily play mr big bollocks here but he doesnt. Modest, unassuming and quietly gets on with his job. You can see him advising Smith and talking with players during games but when the press comes round for an interview he quietly demurs and lets the gaffer have the spotlight. Meanwhile the players bring him up in interviews and how they learn from him. Great stuff.

What a great and grounded professional. I hope he doesnt leave but his dedication to learning his new craft is clear. My guess is he will succeed as a manager if thats his goal because he has put the work in ahead of time and made sure he is ready to win before doing it. Maybe that attitude is why he was such a good player.

All probably true and yet defensive coach and we have conceded 2 goals less than the team with most conceded in the league

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

All probably true and yet defensive coach and we have conceded 2 goals less than the team with most conceded in the league

This gets trotted out a lot, but I think it's a bit misleading.

We play a very attacking style, with high full backs - people say we've recently switched to a wing back system, but you could argue we've been playing wing backs all season, especially down the left flank. If you watch Matt Targett in the 4-3-3 or the 3-4-3 his positioning is virtually identical.

Most lower table teams pack the defence and midfield, and try to counter punch. It's always going to be easier for those teams to keep the scoreline down, regardless of how well their defenders play.

From personal experience as an amateur, if we got a little way into a cup and got drawn against a professional team, we would always set up with a very negative 5-4-1 formation and stay compact. You'll probably lose, but you won't get humiliated, and if you're lucky you'll nick a result. Whereas if you try and play football, you'll ship a few goals.

So I don't think you can isolate JT's role as a defensive coach from the wider setup. Even our apparent weakness on set pieces seems to depend massively on whether Mings and Hause are both starting. With them both in the back line, we look solid on set pieces.

But I massively agree with @ciggiesnbeer that JT has handled himself in exemplary fashion at Villa. Whatever you think of him, he has been a very fine servant to this club, and to Dean Smith. No hint at all of any attitude, but has clearly been a big influence on people like Tyrone Mings.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

This gets trotted out a lot, but I think it's a bit misleading.

We play a very attacking style, with high full backs - people say we've recently switched to a wing back system, but you could argue we've been playing wing backs all season, especially down the left flank. If you watch Matt Targett in the 4-3-3 or the 3-4-3 his positioning is virtually identical.

Most lower table teams pack the defence and midfield, and try to counter punch. It's always going to be easier for those teams to keep the scoreline down, regardless of how well their defenders play.

From personal experience as an amateur, if we got a little way into a cup and got drawn against a professional team, we would always set up with a very negative 5-4-1 formation and stay compact. You'll probably lose, but you won't get humiliated, and if you're lucky you'll nick a result. Whereas if you try and play football, you'll ship a few goals.

So I don't think you can isolate JT's role as a defensive coach from the wider setup. Even our apparent weakness on set pieces seems to depend massively on whether Mings and Hause are both starting. With them both in the back line, we look solid on set pieces.

But I massively agree with @ciggiesnbeer that JT has handled himself in exemplary fashion at Villa. Whatever you think of him, he has been a very fine servant to this club, and to Dean Smith. No hint at all of any attitude, but has clearly been a big influence on people like Tyrone Mings.

All fair points

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Terry needs to go in the summer. He clearly contributes **** all.

Can't sort out this defence. 

Still awful at set pieces and corners. 

Mental collapses in o.t.

I genuinly don't get what he does. Can't we actually hire someome that knows what they are doing??? 

The bottom line is he has the responsibility of coaching the back line, and week after week it's the part of the team that performs worst, and lets the rest of the team down. He's obviously massively experienced as a player, but inexperienced as a coach, and I can't see how we can avoid questioning his methods. None of the players seem to be getting any better, and Engels in particular seems to have regressed during the season.

I think it's a combination of the level of talent and what they're being told to do. Our backline tries to play the ball at their feet far too often looking for a pass to start the play rather than just hoofing the ball 50 yards. When the pass is there, make it. When it's not, get the god damn ball out of there.

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Midfield much more of an issue than defence.

The midfield need to get closer and foul more, kill the game. If you're closer and you want to foul then you make it look more like a genuine attempt to play the ball rather than obvious foul and probably a yellow card. "Shit, our legs just got tangled" kind of job. I mean if they want to win the ball back be my guest but let's start with the easy stuff first.

Â