John Terry

Farlz

53 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

It all ultimately rests with the head coach Dean Smith.

If John Terry wasn't John Terry and was Barry B Barryson nobody would be even pointing a finger.

He's certainly more high profile than you'r average assistant but I'm pretty sure that regardless of who the assistant was questions would be asked about our defensive shortcomings.

As per usual no one knows if Terry has any part in this but as a former CB it's fairly safe to assume he is at least involved.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

If John Terry wasn't John Terry and was Barry B Barryson nobody would be even pointing a finger.

Totally agree mate... my thoughts exactly. 

If Deano can change his back room staff if he feels the need. He obviously feels they are doing a good job.

11 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Reports Terry would get the nod if we sacked smith.

What a terrible idea.

That would be a huge mistake IMO. FWIW if I were Dean Smith I’d be trying to get JT out. None of us know what’s going on behind the scenes, all I will say is that defensively we are garbage. Consistently garbage game after game. I don’t envisage JT coaching the forwards, I also don’t envisage him having much input with the midfield. Logic would lead us to strongly speculate that JT would play a big part in the coaching of the defensive lads. And history shows us that JT isn’t a shrinking violet who doesn’t speak out if things aren’t going as he’d prefer. So is JT undermining Dean Smith? Is JT the bad apple in the unit? Is it coincidence that we took a midfield problem from JTs beloved Chelsea who is now causing Dean Smith a big problem? A player who wasn’t wanted at Burnley over the like of Ashley Westwood and sent back to his parent club?! It’s worth watching for, and noting, the potential political machinations.

• Thanks 1

Wow, it’s all Terry’s fault then..

Guess we should sack him and watch us climb up the table? 

It’s surely not difficult to understand that Smith chooses the formation, tactics, line up. Just because Terry is a strong personality that doesn’t mean would be telling Smith that he hasn’t got a clue. That isn’t the role of an assistant.

Terry may and probably will have a completely different philosophy if he was in charge. This isn’t an anti Smith post either but the conspiracy theories about Terry are as logical as stockpiling bog roll.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

That would be a huge mistake IMO. FWIW if I were Dean Smith I’d be trying to get JT out. None of us know what’s going on behind the scenes, all I will say is that defensively we are garbage. Consistently garbage game after game. I don’t envisage JT coaching the forwards, I also don’t envisage him having much input with the midfield. Logic would lead us to strongly speculate that JT would play a big part in the coaching of the defensive lads. And history shows us that JT isn’t a shrinking violet who doesn’t speak out if things aren’t going as he’d prefer. So is JT undermining Dean Smith? Is JT the bad apple in the unit? Is it coincidence that we took a midfield problem from JTs beloved Chelsea who is now causing Dean Smith a big problem? A player who wasn’t wanted at Burnley over the like of Ashley Westwood and sent back to his parent club?! It’s worth watching for, and noting, the potential political machinations.

I doubt Terry has much input on the system. It's the system that is the issue. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Reports Terry would get the nod if we sacked smith.

What a terrible idea.

Please no. Part of the problem at the moment. Both need to go. Would rather let my cat scratch my bollocks than have Terry as manager at the Villa.

30 minutes ago, striker said:

Please no. Part of the problem at the moment. Both need to go. Would rather let my cat scratch my bollocks than have Terry as manager at the Villa.

What do you have against Terry? You’re not a Villa fan so I wonder why you have a strong opinion on Terry’s suitability.

3 hours ago, Elton said:

What do you have against Terry? You’re not a Villa fan so I wonder why you have a strong opinion on Terry’s suitability.

I am a Villa & Everton fan. I support both teams.

Terry must have some input into Villa defensively so if you consider the stats and where Villa have been defensively all season then why would you want him as manager?

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfers-tom-fox-17998492

John Terry has been hand-delivering shopping to vulnerable and elderly residents during the coronavirus pandemic.

Aston Villa's assistant head coach has been out and about delivering in the village where he lives in Oxshott in Surrey.

The 39-year-old joined Oxshott delivery and its co-creater James Davis, who launched the project as a way of bringing people together.

Terry was joined by wife Toni as they picked up shopping from local businesses and delivered to people's front doors.

The Villa coach was recorded dropping goods off at the home of Alex Smith, CEO of Harrison's Fund, a charity dedicated to cure Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, a muscle weakness which limits young people's lives.

Writing on his Instagram account, Terry beamed: "I was so honoured to help my great friend @jumdavis with @oxshottdelivery. A wonderful initiative amongst everything that is happening.

"His idea was simply to bring the community together whilst we need to keep apart, getting local residents to volunteer their time to drive local businesses home essentials and produce to the doors of the vulnerable and shielding residents alongside the rest of the community.

"Today I was part of his delivery team and loved watching the smiles on the faces of those who needed it.

"This was a great moment with @smithadj @harrisonsfund who needs all the support during this time as none of the fundraising events scheduled can take place so it was great to see his smile and positivity."

• Like 4

On 10/03/2020 at 14:05, rodders0223 said:

Spot on.

I have never known in the past, a coach being called out as opposed to a struggling manager.

by definition, they have to do as they are told.

On 10/03/2020 at 15:02, sne said:

He's certainly more high profile than you'r average assistant but I'm pretty sure that regardless of who the assistant was questions would be asked about our defensive shortcomings.

As per usual no one knows if Terry has any part in this but as a former CB it's fairly safe to assume he is at least involved.

True

But the real issue is the TEAM can't defend......and it has a knock on affect all over.

On 11/03/2020 at 23:38, striker said:

Terry must have some input into Villa defensively so if you consider the stats and where Villa have been defensively all season then why would you want him as manager?

But we don't know the degree of input or how relevant that input is in to the in the whole scheme of things.

for all we know, his idea's could be suppressed.

Its all down to the manager,its the team that can't defend,  if JT was not doing his job, presumably Dean Smith would remove him.....hopefully.....unless there is another problem, we don't know about.

It was not so long back Mings was claiming JT's involvement in helping him get an England call.

Edited by TRO

On 12/03/2020 at 00:38, striker said:

If Smith had sound defenses at previous clubs i would be less hesitant  to agree with you.

Ask any Brentford fan and ask the first improvement they noticed after Dean leaving. They would point to the defense.

I personally don't believe JT is the issue. But the tactics, system and instructions. That stems from the head coach.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

On 11/03/2020 at 13:42, OxfordVillan said:

Its fair to say none of us know for sure.....its all speculation and innuendo.

But I would say this.....The defensive issues are a TEAM issue.....sure it involves the back line too......but the whole team can't defend......It is unlikely JT is responsible for all that.

If JT is undermining Dean Smith, I would suspect something would be done about that.....unless of course the whole thing is more toxic than we know.

Without doubt Drinkwater, looks like yet another miss hit, in a long line.

• 2 months later...
Â