John Terry

Farlz

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

Who ? 

We have a relatively young team, I don’t mean academy graduates or 18-19 year olds.

Jack is only 23, McGinn & El Ghazi - 24, Wesley - 22, Mings is still quite young at 26. These players are only going to improve and will be coached well. I have a lot of faith in Deano.

The signings we have made and are targeting are all of a good age too.

Guilbert - 24, Hause & Targett - 23.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Careful...you are dangerously close to causing this rabble to start their bloody fish puns again....

Hopefully you got away with it!

Bloody autocorrect. Fixed now.

12 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

We have a relatively young team, I don’t mean academy graduates or 18-19 year olds.

Jack is only 23, McGinn & El Ghazi - 24, Wesley - 22, Mings is still quite young at 26. These players are only going to improve and will be coached well. I have a lot of faith in Deano.

I completely agree. Eight decent players there at an average age of 24, and crucially, we own all of them.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

OK 

I was thinking today that surely a youngster could fill a hole in the squad - thought Ramsey, Doyle-Hayes, O'hare - then thought maybe not.

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The way things are going with Brexit, he soon won't be British, either. 

I'm having no luck here at all. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

The British Isles (again, geographically) is Great Britain plus the whole of Ireland.

How about I refer to it then as the British Isles managerial merry-go-round? That way MON can be included as well.

Just now, hippo said:

OK 

I was thinking today that surely a youngster could fill a hole in the squad - thought Ramsey, Doyle-Hayes, O'hare - then thought maybe not.

In terms of reserves/youth players, that is an area of concern... we’ve released quite a few and there don’t appear to be many genuine prospects coming through other than Ramsey and O’Hare (who don’t seem ready and maybe a bit lightweight, we need to send a few out on loan again).

I’m sure it’s an area we will address in time.

Yes, I was referring to the first team/squad in terms of players. I really think we can have a good season if we make a few more quality signings. Deano will implement an attacking style with a youthful, energetic team. We won’t just sit back and defend all the time, though I expect us to have a hard time against the top teams (hoping we can upset a few teams occasionally though, take them by surprise).

I expect us to be able to do well against teams like Brighton & Southampton, but we could surprise a few people this season...

Again, depends on the signings we make too.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

We're getting way off topic here (sorry, my fault for the original quip). But fwiw, NIV is right. Someone from an independent Scotland would still be British (as distinct from being a UK citizen, but also as distinct from living in the British Isles). Great Britain (geographically) is England, Wales and Scotland, regardless of sovereignty issues. The British Isles (again, geographically) is Great Britain plus the whole of Ireland. No Irish people are British (as in 'G.B.'), they are all Irish. Citizens of Northern Ireland are, however, citizens of the United Kingdom. For now... 

Everyone living in the British Isles is British, be they English, Scottish, Irish or Welsh. The United Kingdom consists of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. `Great', by the way, in this context, only means large - as in the largest of the islands which makes up the British Isles. 

Within that, of course, the inhabitants of these Isles are also English, Scottish, Irish and Welsh.

Anyway, Terry loves it here and ain't going nowhere.

54 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Everyone living in the British Isles is British, be they English, Scottish, Irish or Welsh. The United Kingdom consists of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. `Great', by the way, in this context, only means large - as in the largest of the islands which makes up the British Isles. 

Within that, of course, the inhabitants of these Isles are also English, Scottish, Irish and Welsh.

Anyway, Terry loves it here and ain't going nowhere.

The nationality British is specifically people from the UK. The nationality. Nobody uses the word any other way! You're a citizen of a county, a state, not an island.

People who don't know what they're talking about use British generally for people from the British isles (so Ireland too) but, although it might be technically true, nobody anywhere uses it like that. 

British = a UK citizen

Also the Olympic team should be Team UK, not Team GB. 

Edited by praisedmambo

• 3 weeks later...

I'm intrigued by John Terry as a coach. He's been mentored by Jose Mourinho, a coach known for pragmatic, organised, tactical football. A reactive coach, who adapts his game to his opponent, whether they are a big team or not. Terry admires Mourinho, it's clear. Mourinho teams bore the life out of fans of the clubs that he manages. Why Real Madrid ever hired him I don't know? Because he is so good I suppose, anyway, I digress.

Terry is now working with Dean Smith, who is not so much of a pragmatic, reactive coach, but capable of being flexible. Smith has an idea, he likes technical players who express themselves and encourages his players to act with spontaneity in attack. 

Last season I felt that although we played towards Smith's ideals, he compromised on them somewhat and I wonder whether that is JTs influence. We played much better, passing football, but we were still essentially a crossing team. I don't think Smith is a crossing manager. He's more Klopp than Mourinho. 

So what is John Terry? It would be interestes to hear him talk about his 'football philosophy'. Not a year or two ago, but now, after working with Smith. He's a young coach, and undoubtedly he's an inspirational character with the requisite man management skills to become a successful coach or manager. I'm interested in his flavour of football. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

I'm intrigued by John Terry as a coach. He's been mentored by Jose Mourinho, a coach known for pragmatic, organised, tactical football. A reactive coach, who adapts his game to his opponent, whether they are a big team or not. Terry admires Mourinho, it's clear. Mourinho teams bore the life out of fans of the clubs that he manages. Why Real Madrid ever hired him I don't know? Because he is so good I suppose, anyway, I digress.

Terry is now working with Dean Smith, who is not so much of a pragmatic, reactive coach, but capable of being flexible. Smith has an idea, he likes technical players who express themselves and encourages his players to act with spontaneity in attack. 

Last season I felt that although we played towards Smith's ideals, he compromised on them somewhat and I wonder whether that is JTs influence. We played much better, passing football, but we were still essentially a crossing team. I don't think Smith is a crossing manager. He's more Klopp than Mourinho. 

So what is John Terry? It would be interestes to hear him talk about his 'football philosophy'. Not a year or two ago, but now, after working with Smith. He's a young coach, and undoubtedly he's an inspirational character with the requisite man management skills to become a successful coach or manager. I'm interested in his flavour of football. 

we will put plenty of crosses in, just because a team is a "possession" or "ball playing" team doesnt mean no crosses, look at Man City, they put in a LOT of crosses last season, so did Liverpool, and they are the best two teams in terms of style of play etc.

If you are looking as to why we couldnt fully implement DS's tactics last season, i would say that was more down to a number of the players not being capable of doing so, rather than doing X, Y or Z because Terry had an impact on the style of play.

I would imagine Terry has improved us defensively, and some players have said as much, even if DS got 500m to spend, i have no doubt his team would still cross, its just more about what is the right thing to do at a certain time, and if that is to cross.....you cross?

Edited by MaVilla

16 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

I still take him as a leader of men, not necessarily a roy keane esque shouter but someone who is happy in and around it all, smith's man on the pulse, maybe a bit of social secretary going on with golf days and things like that showing them its not all about drinking and partying

if he steps up to management he loses a huge chunk of that, he cant be that close to the group anymore

and you think of how many superstars and other teams captains that he's captained himself, who has been his manager vialli right through to working with smith now (world cup winning manager deschamps was there when he broke through) you would say he's had a proper hot bed of styles and influences on him and could bring just about anything to the table

32 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

we will put plenty of crosses in, just because a team is a "possession" or "ball playing" team doesnt mean no crosses, look at Man City, they put in a LOT of crosses last season, so did Liverpool, and they are the best two teams in terms of style of play etc.

If you are looking as to why we couldnt fully implement DS's tactics last season, i would say that was more down to a number of the players not being capable of doing so, rather than doing X, Y or Z because Terry had an impact on the style of play.

I would imagine Terry has improved us defensively, and some players have said as much, even if DS got 500m to spend, i have no doubt his team would still cross, its just more about what is the right thing to do at a certain time, and if that is to cross.....you cross?

I think putting "crossing" in my post has confused it a little, because that is not the focus of my interest in John Terry. Of course all teams will cross the ball. I'm more interested in what John Terry believes is the best way to approach a football game. 

Just now, PompeyVillan said:

I think putting "crossing" in my post has confused it a little, because that is not the focus of my interest in John Terry. Of course all teams will cross the ball. I'm more interested in what John Terry believes is the best way to approach a football game. 

No idea mate, I guess we won't find out entirely until he manages a team of his own?

I would guess he should have a fairly modern outlook on the game, as that's really what teams look for these days (successful teams), but yeah who knows until he gets the chance to implement his own style 100%?

• Like 1

My gut tells me that Terry is a very important part of the way Deano coaches and manages his players. As strange as it might sound, I think Terry get's a bigger buzz out from being involved with the players as opposed to someone like Lampard or Gerrard who went straight to management. Terry was a phenomenal player and leader (and still is I reckon) and moreso, players want to work with him (quotes from Grealish in the past, Mings more recently) which I think is a huge deal. Deano has created a very positive and encouraging environment that all the players seem to have bought into (from the outside at least) and I think Terry is a large part of that. And in fairness to Terry, he has said in the past that all he wants to do with Deano Smith is learn from him and if that means picking up the cones he will do it. He is definitely playing an important role not only as a coach, but as a positive go between the players and management IMHO.

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I do wonder if mourinho will make an approach towards JT as his number two. Hopefully him being a Chelsea boy he won't go anywhere near spurs.

Joao Sacramento as his assistant according to what I've seen

Silvino Louro, Ricardo Formosinho, Giovanni Cerra, Stefano Rapetti, Carlos Lalín also suggested to be part of his backroom team, or so says the Independent.

Maybe José Morais might be brought in as well.

Doubt Terry is even considered. He's not exactly beloved by Spurs fans either.

12 minutes ago, sne said:

Joao Sacramento as his assistant according to what I've seen

Silvino Louro, Ricardo Formosinho, Giovanni Cerra, Stefano Rapetti, Carlos Lalín also suggested to be part of his backroom team, or so says the Independent.

Maybe José Morais might be brought in as well.

Doubt Terry is even considered. He's not exactly beloved by Spurs fans either.

Either was mourinho but now most that I have spoken to are very happy with him.

No word on backroom team yet. But with his Chelsea love I don't think he will risk it with Chelsea fans who love him so.much

Â